Sep 12, 2005
Powhatan, VA
oh and another thing

love your handle nothing better than R-C cola and a moon pie:rofl:

and already up to 4 posts amazing!:newbie:

dmurrell

Apr 30, 2005
Charleston, SC
I don't think there's a direct correlation between the number of posts one makes on a forum and either their mechanical or off roading knowledge or skills. Actually, I would be willing to wager that it is an inverse relationship.

I have known the seller forever and have wrenched on that truck myself. If you clowns broke it playing cowboy, then that's your problem. I have a similar setup in my series truck and haven't experienced those types of failures - and yes my truck has been where that one has.

Oh and by the way - not too smart to use a snatch strap to extend a winch cable as it stores all the kinetic energy of the winch. In the event of a failure it is considerably more dangerous than a cable alone, but I would guess an expert like you already know that ;)

Last edited:

JSQ

Apr 21, 2004
San Diego, CA
dmurrell said:
I don't think there's a direct correlation between the number of posts one makes on a forum and either their mechanical or off roading knowledge or skills. Actually, I would be willing to wager that it is an inverse relationship.

I have known the seller forever and have wrenched on that truck myself. If you clowns broke it playing cowboy, then that's your problem. I have a similar setup in my series truck and haven't experienced those types of failures - and yes my truck has been where that one has.

Oh and by the way - not to smart to use a snatch strap to extend a winch cable as it stores all the kinetic energy of the winch. In the event of a failure it is considerably more dangerous than a cable alone, but I would guess an expert like you already know that ;)

BAM!

what a debut post.
(assuming this dmurrell isn't someone else's alter ego)

enonz98lr

Sep 12, 2005
Powhatan, VA
dmurrell said:

Oh and by the way - not too smart to use a snatch strap to extend a winch cable as it stores all the kinetic energy of the winch. In the event of a failure it is considerably more dangerous than a cable alone, but I would guess an expert like you already know that ;)

I never clamed to be an expert or the next Bill Burke. i admit i do not know everything, but on the other hand i do know enough that when someone says they change the diff fluid after every run, and then when we have to open up the axles to see why we are not getting power transfer to both of the front wheels, the diff fluid should not be WHITE.

I could sit here all day and ramble on about some more of this stupid bull shit, but im not. and you know why?

because there are three types of people in this world

dicks, pussys, and assholes........

and i will leave it at that

oh and another thing, we had to use the snach strap as an extension because we could not get the discovery farther down the hill with out possibly getting it stuck. the slop does not look bad in the video but is much steeper in real life.

and i also think my hearing is goodenough to hear an axle shaft break, the truck was broken when we unloaded it back in richmond, and i doubt it broke while on the uhaul trailer:mad:

dmurrell

Apr 30, 2005
Charleston, SC
I don't know about the other stuff, but I have broken stock half shafts and not heard it. Actually broke a Maxi-drive one time on the gravel road (trail 1) at Tellico and had no idea until I was part of the way through Upper 2.

I can't attest to where or when the axle shaft broke on you, but I can attest to Chris' character. If he had any suspicion that it was broken he would have taken care of it - and I'm sure he would of noticed it as well.

So it seems like this - you guys bought a 35 year old trail truck and took it out on a maiden voyage (perhaps after some liquid courage) and noticed part the way through (after a stuck and recovery) that something is broken. Then you decide to impugn the character and representation of my friend.

Seems like sour grapes to me. I don't think any of our flames are going to make the situation better. If you think you've got a legitimate complaint, take it up with him. Otherwise, turn the flame off.

enonz98lr

Sep 12, 2005
Powhatan, VA
dmurrell said:
I don't know about the other stuff, but I have broken stock half shafts and not heard it. Actually broke a Maxi-drive one time on the gravel road (trail 1) at Tellico and had no idea until I was part of the way through Upper 2.

I can't attest to where or when the axle shaft broke on you, but I can attest to Chris' character. If he had any suspicion that it was broken he would have taken care of it - and I'm sure he would of noticed it as well.

So it seems like this - you guys bought a 35 year old trail truck and took it out on a maiden voyage (perhaps after some liquid courage) and noticed part the way through (after a stuck and recovery) that something is broken. Then you decide to impugn the character and representation of my friend.

Seems like sour grapes to me. I don't think any of our flames are going to make the situation better. If you think you've got a legitimate complaint, take it up with him. Otherwise, turn the flame off.

well the flaming is over, problem fixed, and is in the past.

HOWEVER, i am insulted that you assume that we were drinking while behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. I dont know what you do when you go off roading, but here we do it sobor and smart, and the next time why dont you do the world a favor and keep those comments to yourself:mad:

P

PCracer51

People usually asume that others do the same things, so taking that into effect it wouldn't suprise me there was some drunk wheelin down in SC and GA.

And while the axels may not have been his fault, the abuse on the tires shows how little he knew about off roading in rocks.

gahill2

Apr 20, 2004
Georgia
dmurrell said:

x2 on Chris' character and how he would have handled it had he know.

OddBall...wolf...wolf

Dec 22, 2006
Powhatan, Va
Oh well what is there is there and what has been has been. The truck is being fixed now with what should have been in the front. After this it should be bullet proof no matter where we go or what we do.

Yorker

Nov 14, 2006
Duanesburg, NY
OddBall...wolf...wolf said:
It's cheaper to do the Toyota conversion then put the new inner axles in the front. Oh Chris who put the axles under the truck and set everything up for you?

Did you put in Longfields when you did the FJ40 conversion?

OddBall...wolf...wolf

Dec 22, 2006
Powhatan, Va
No not yet. Everything I have seen so far says that they are good to 35s and we are running 34s. Both diffs are open and when we get some more money we are going to but an air locker back in the rear. But we are mostly going to just wait and see. Also the gears are 4.10 since thats what the fj came with. Yet agian wait and see how they do with the 34s. Any more questions just ask.

dmurrell

Apr 30, 2005
Charleston, SC
Sorry you were insulted by the remarks. This isn't about what I do or don't do when trail riding. I am simply standing up for a friend when someone makes slanderous and or libelous comments in a public forum, that's all.

I know you'll love the truck - it has many stories to tell and is certainly very capable. If I ever meet you on the trail (and I hope I do - maybe MAR next year), I'd love to see what you guys have done to her.

Yorker

Nov 14, 2006
Duanesburg, NY
FJ40 axles are the way to go. Stock they are bigger and stronger than even a Salisbury. Disk brake conversions are dirt cheap and you can use locking hubs with no worries about railcos not getting lubed. The diffs are true Hypoid and nearly 3/4ton rated...

The downside is that they are not a full floating axle and the birfields downright suck.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/sepp45/guy%20fawkes%2006/guyfawkescarnageII.jpg
That was on 32"s and BFG ATs at that... Both front axles fragged as well as the front Aussie Locker... If you decide to put in a front locker give some serious consideration to Longfields. With Longfields you'll have a rig that is better than 90% of the trucks out there- only the 1.5" 35 spline Salisbury's conversions will exceed a Longfielded TLC axle setup.

Remember if you blow up the birfields ever Rover snob around is going to make fun of you for using "jap crap". In reality it is a great setup and stronger than any Series F+R. Spend the $ now, take cvare of the birf weak linkand you'll be better off in the end.

Last edited:
D

dsstephens

gahill2 said:
x2 on Chris' character and how he would have handled it had he known.

oh, and ditto to murrell and gahill. RC would have fixed it had he known. A stand up guy and a good friend.

glad you were able to swap over to the toys so readily, though, looking forward to seeing pics and a write up. thought about doing it on my IIa before selling it, but decided not too. replacing with a SIII - as soon as I can get time to go pick it up in NJ - and thought about doing it. Though it does already have a salisbury rearend. (noting Yorker's comments, of course)

where did you source the FJ40 axles?

OddBall...wolf...wolf

Dec 22, 2006
Powhatan, Va
Don't know yet. My dad and I have been debating that. What are you interested in? We got them from a local 4x4 shop. The owner was building one and putting dana 60s under his fj. So he didn't need the stockers. They came with waren free wheeling hubs too.

Last edited:

Yorker

Nov 14, 2006
Duanesburg, NY
FJ40 axles should be pretty cheap- I have bought complete FJ40s for $300 and less before. Their steel bodies are crap and often you'll find one that is absolutely gone from the firewall back.

FJ60 axles should work too, they are slightly wider but they come with discs at least in the front- I don't think they are much more than 2"-3" wider overall, similar to the difference between series axles and coiler axles... Warn Hubs are good- the AISN hubs are better. If you want good info on Toy stuff check out http://www.ih8mud.com/.

The FJ40 swap is fairly common in South Africa- that is where I got the idea from. You could conceivably buy a set of FJ-40 axles for $200, get F+R Aussie lockers for $500 and Longfield the front for $600. All in all it is a really cheap setup that can run up to 38"s. Figure another $500-$600 for F+R disc brake conversion. The FJ40 drums aren't bad though they are 11" IIRC- about the same as a SIII 109's brakes.

The cool thing about the swap is it really doesn't hurt the series you do it to- the next owner could easily swap LR axles back under it to return it to stock configuration. It isn't as drastic as swapping another engine in or anything like that.

Yorker

Nov 14, 2006
Duanesburg, NY
dsstephens said:
oh, and ditto to murrell and gahill. RC would have fixed it had he known. A stand up guy and a good friend.

glad you were able to swap over to the toys so readily, though, looking forward to seeing pics and a write up. thought about doing it on my IIa before selling it, but decided not too. replacing with a SIII - as soon as I can get time to go pick it up in NJ - and thought about doing it. Though it does already have a salisbury rearend. (noting Yorker's comments, of course)

If you have a Sals Rear it can be upgraded to better than FJ40 specs- remember it is a modified Dana 60. If you can ger 4.11 R+P for it you could easily match it to a FJ40 front end. Of course you then have to deal with 2 different bolt patterns- 6 lug Toyota front and 5 lug LR rear... perhaps you could convert them or get adapters made- I have meant to look into that but haven't.