Adding a heated windsheild to a D1

BCDisco

Sep 7, 2005
Victoria BC
Adding a heated windsheild to a D1, can it be done? Anyone know?

I spend a fair bit of time up north, and this would be a really nice...

thanks,

Blair
97D1

JSQ

Apr 21, 2004
San Diego, CA
BCDisco said:
Adding a heated windsheild to a D1, can it be done? Anyone know?

I spend a fair bit of time up north, and this would be a really nice...

thanks,

Blair
97D1

No, it would be fucking bitchin.

I wonder if it can be done?

I know of know disco1 that was factory equipped as such and it's not like you can drop a D2 one in there, so I guess the next logical question is whether or not any aftermarket glass company makes such a thing.

This would be a really really great addition especially in the instances when you were already replacing the glass due to breakage or pitting.

get to work!

JSQ

Apr 21, 2004
San Diego, CA
It's funny because the 90/110s are the bottom of the Rover hierarchy and I know you can score factory heated windshields for them.

It would suck if disco1 got left out in the cold.

roverlad

May 5, 2006
90-110's! You used to be able to buy heated screens for Series Rovers! One of the best things I ever did to my '60 Series II for winter weather since the little Smiths "demister" didn't really have the balls to keep the windows clear.

D

D Chapman

It's funny, inside the cowl of the D1's, there are two tabs in there. Only thing I can figure they are for, is to mount the wiring harness for the heated windshield.

NHESS81

Mar 23, 2006
CA
Right, we are equipped to install the heated windshield (button on dash anywhere?? or is it tied in to rear defroster??), but the challenge is FINDING a heated windshield to actually put in. I know some had them factory, and when broke had to go to regular windshield as they could not find a heated. If you overcome that obstacle, next is the sure to be insane price tag for said windshield.

Would be very nice though...

Paul Grant

Sep 8, 2004
CT
I know JSQ said that a RRC windshield won't fit and that's obvious when it comes to the '87-'94's but what about the '95 RRC. The windshield for that year is entirely different than all the previous years. It secures to the windshield frame in the same way as the Disco. Unfortunately, I don't have a Disco here to take measurements on but if someone wants to take out a tape measure, I'll do the same with the '95 I have here now to see if, in fact, they are interchangeable.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
In the US the heated windscreen was not an option. I have a new heated one sitting about 10' from me. I'll see if I can find the part number.

Found them.
This is from the parts manual 1989 -1998:
BTR742 Clear -- to (V) LA 081991
BTR705 Tinted Green
BTR9642 Tinted Green -- From (V) MA 081992 To (V) MA 163103; To (V) MA 163104
AWR2228 Tinted Green -- From (V) TA 163104
AWR3282 Tinted Green -- From (V) VA 534104; From (V) VA 703237

Last edited:

dave_lucas

Apr 19, 2004
Golden Colorado
:groupwave:

I would not mind paying a similar price to the DII heated windshield since that is one of the things I miss most about my DII.

If anyone finds a source please post it here or email me as this is something I would really like to do especially after the weather here in the last month.