Cargo Area Tie down system

TT Disco

Dec 20, 2005
I have removed the rear seat in my '98 Disco 1 and am in the process of rigging up a tie cargo tie down system. According to my Land Rover accessories installation guide there is a tie down system available for the Disco 1. Both AB and my local dealer told me that there is no such system and that I am on my own.

I do not want to drill or modify the cargo bed, so my intensions were to use the existing (4) holes and attach tie point to them. This configuration would allow for only a single bolt anchor point.

Now my problem. After looking at tie points for a single hole configureation, I can not find one that seems suited. Does anyone have suggestions that have been installed and tested?

Ultimately I am looking to put a piece of plywood down and strap the plywood to the floor of the vheicle using the above tie points. Plywood will be used to extend the area to the rear of the front seats and provide a platform to anchor a slide and lock system by Hi-lift

Thanks for your help in advance!

Mudy_ovl

Apr 20, 2004
Alabama
I built a set of storage drawers and the 3/4" plywood base attaches to the four (4) mounting points in the floor of the cargo area. I tapped out the holes to fit a standard bolt size, cut small access holes in the carpeting and secured the panel with flat washers and 7/16" bolts. If you want a drawing of my base let me know, I can send over a PDF file, just drop me an e-mail. You will have to tweek the design a little if you want it to extend to the foot well of the second row seats, but that is pretty easy.
Chris D.
Mudy_Ovl
'95 DI

JSQ

Apr 21, 2004
San Diego, CA
TT Disco said:
I have removed the rear seat in my '98 Disco 1 and am in the process of rigging up a tie cargo tie down system. According to my Land Rover accessories installation guide there is a tie down system available for the Disco 1. Both AB and my local dealer told me that there is no such system and that I am on my own.

I do not want to drill or modify the cargo bed, so my intensions were to use the existing (4) holes and attach tie point to them. This configuration would allow for only a single bolt anchor point.

Now my problem. After looking at tie points for a single hole configureation, I can not find one that seems suited. Does anyone have suggestions that have been installed and tested?

Ultimately I am looking to put a piece of plywood down and strap the plywood to the floor of the vheicle using the above tie points. Plywood will be used to extend the area to the rear of the front seats and provide a platform to anchor a slide and lock system by Hi-lift

Thanks for your help in advance!

I think you're on the right track if you absolutely are unwilling to drill new holes in the floor, but keep it minimal on the platform.
Do not turn the back of your truck into a rolling furniture store or lumberyard with all manner of heavy and awkward droors and cabinets.

You should follow the general theory that has been worked out by the Disco2 crowd like such.

If you had a single flat piece that was routered to fit all the contoured edges of the interior and nicely finished it could be very functional.

You might consider King Starboard instead of plywood...

monkeyboy

Dec 21, 2004
Land between the rivers
There are two threaded pieces at the rear outer corners of my '94. I've got some floppy rings bolted in there as well as a couple on the seat belt mounts that I use when the rear seats are in the car.

When I take out the rear seats - and the seat belts - I've got a piece of fitted plywood that bolts to the floor with a row of tie down rings along each side.

Works great.

Ed... Hey Jack, that's a great link. I hadn't seen that, but that's what mine looks like - absent the carpet covering.

Last edited:

TT Disco

Dec 20, 2005
The link and info is exactly what I am looking to do!

I looked around for cargo rings again this weekend and can not find them locally, so I have resigned myself to using Genuine parts as listed on EE link that you provided. I ordered them today.

I am planning to buy wood and fabricate this week and work on tie down next.

I am going to use the cargo area for storage and sleeping, as I am trying to extend the camping season(Wisconsin).

I will post pics of the finished product.

Additional ideas would be appreciated!!!!