Transylvania advice required

P

paul64

In the near future, I will be starting a long time goal of mine, to live in Transylvania. I worked there in the early 90's, and always knew I would return. To make a living I will show people around this fascinating part of the world in my Land Rover.

I will start my business later in 2007, so not taking bookings as yet, so I don't think I am breaking any advertising rules on this forum. Please tell me mods, if this is not ok.

I would be grateful for any comments about my site, or what you think could be done to improve it? I am especially interested in what you would expect from such a tour if you were planning on going there?

Regards, Paul

Eric N.

Apr 20, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Paul, I hope that this works out for you since I might like to take a trip in 5 or so years once the kids are in school. Although, I'm going to Everest Base camp first.. Already trying to squirl away money for that and the 2008 Iditarod. A 4x4 tour of Transylvania would be pretty cool.. Always wanted to go there.

Leslie

Apr 28, 2004
Kingsport TN
ptschram said:
It's a Hell of a college, I graduated in 1987.

Expensive but worth it.

:rofl:

Actually, I always loved all the waterfalls in Transylvania County over in NC....

HOWEVER..... I realize we're talking about the *real* one.... I'd love to visit the Carpathians sometime....

P

paul64

Eric N. said:
Paul, I hope that this works out for you since I might like to take a trip in 5 or so years once the kids are in school. Although, I'm going to Everest Base camp first.. Already trying to squirl away money for that and the 2008 Iditarod. A 4x4 tour of Transylvania would be pretty cool.. Always wanted to go there.

Hi Eric,

Don't wait 5 years. What about next year. It will be a lot cheaper than going to Everest, with none of the problems of acclimatisation. The scenery is spectacular, people are friendly, food and drink great, and a most memorable experience guaranteed.

P

paul64

JSQ said:
You're in the Royal Geographical Society?

That's badass.

Yes, and what a place in central London to while away the hours. The map library is particularly impressive. Afternoon tea, and scones in the afternoon go down very well.

The auditorium is an amazing place. So many of the infamous explorers over the years have presented their discoveries at the RGS to the Fellows. Among them being Livingstone, Stanley and Speke.

http://www.powells.com/biblio?show=TRADE%20PAPER:USED:0767910745:8.00&page=excerpt

If you are ever in London when I am in town, it would be an honour and a privilege to show you around.

Leslie

Apr 28, 2004
Kingsport TN
PT,
Yep, I know of the college is in KY; but I've not been to it. That's not what I'm referring to. The college in Transylvania County North Carolina is Brevard (in the town of the same name), which is a big music school. The Nantahala isn't far away, Pisgah, Asheville, the Smokies, etc. etc. Like I said, *lots* of really cool waterfalls.... Do you like boiled peanuts?

The biggest hindrance for me in wanting to go to Eastern Europe (or anywhere outside of North America, really) would be the cost of airfare. I would like to travel the world, if I could pay for the plane tickets. Hopefully I'll get to where I can start traveling before I get to retirement, but I will then at least.

P

paul64

Leslie said:
PT,
Yep, I know of the college is in KY; but I've not been to it. That's not what I'm referring to. The college in Transylvania County North Carolina is Brevard (in the town of the same name), which is a big music school. The Nantahala isn't far away, Pisgah, Asheville, the Smokies, etc. etc. Like I said, *lots* of really cool waterfalls.... Do you like boiled peanuts?

The biggest hindrance for me in wanting to go to Eastern Europe (or anywhere outside of North America, really) would be the cost of airfare. I would like to travel the world, if I could pay for the plane tickets. Hopefully I'll get to where I can start traveling before I get to retirement, but I will then at least.

Romania joined the EU on January 1st, and the airfares have dropped dramatically. I know there are reasonable flight prices from the US to London, and from London to Bucharest you can get some very good deals.

jimjet

Feb 22, 2005
L.I.N.Y./Daytona Beach Fl
paul64 said:
http://www.powells.com/biblio?show=TRADE%20PAPER:USED:0767910745:8.00&page=excerpt

If you are ever in London when I am in town, it would be an honour and a privilege to show you around.

Yeah sure your inviting him to London on your 24th post.
give it some time and you would rather invite him to your castle dungeon and torture him in the CAGE.
although the Count would probably take him under his wing and change his name from Jack to Redfield or mini count.

jim :D

Attachments

• dracula-bela-lugosi-2-small-2.jpg
    dracula-bela-lugosi-2-small-2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Eric N.

Apr 20, 2004
Falls Church, VA
paul64 said:
Hi Eric,

Don't wait 5 years. What about next year. It will be a lot cheaper than going to Everest, with none of the problems of acclimatisation. The scenery is spectacular, people are friendly, food and drink great, and a most memorable experience guaranteed.

I'm sure it is, but, I have my heart set on doing a few things in this lifetime of mine and those are the top two right now.