Output Speed Sensor Circuit fault code

May 13, 2005
Chester, NH
P0722 - Output Speed Sensor Circuit

My ABS, Traction Control, and Hill-Descent lights have illuminated on my '99 disco2 and it's throwing a P0722 code. Can anyone shed some light on what should be checked? I'm guessing there's some dirt in the connector or it has come unplugged. Anyone know where this sensor is and how I can get at it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2004
DTC P0722
Stall speed monitoring.

Possible causes by suggested order of priority:

Connectors C243,EAT C193.
Open circuit shaft speed sensorC193/14 (B) to C193/42 (R).
Open circuit C243/E (K) to C193/42 (R).
Open circuit C243/F (B) to C193/14 (B).
Shaft speed electrical interference.
Shaft speed sensor fault.
Torque converter mechanical fault.
Connectors C243,EAT C193.
CONNECTOR

Check for connector not correctly latched, backed out pins, damaged pins, corroded pins.
Open Circuit Shaft Speed SensorC193/14 (B) To C193/42 (R).
OPEN_CIRCUIT

Check resistance > 1M Ohm
Open Circuit C243/E (K) To C193/42 (R).
OPEN_CIRCUIT

Open Circuit C243/F (B) To C193/14 (B).
OPEN_CIRCUIT

Shaft Speed Electrical Interference.

Use Live Data reading to display the output shaft speed as measured by the transmission ECU. CHECK THE FOLLOWING:
With the engine running and the position switch in 'P' the shaft speed should measure 0 RPM .
If the reading is not 0 RPM then there may be a problem with electrical interference.
Check the connections to the screen around the output shaft sensor wiring. POSSIBLE FAULTS
Faulty output shaft sensor wiring.
Faulty output shaft sensor.
Shaft Speed Sensor Fault.

Use Live Data reading to display the output shaft speed as measured by the transmission ECU. CHECK THE FOLLOWING:
Monitor the road speed (from the vehicle speedometer) and the output shaft speed while driving on the road or on a rolling road.
The two readings should maintain the same ratio. If one reading doubles so should the other reading.
If the readings do not maintain a fixed ratio the output shaft sensor may be faulty. POSSIBLE FAULTS
Faulty output shaft sensor
Torque Converter Mechanical Fault.

Monitor the road speed (from the vehicle speedometer) and the output shaft speed while driving on the road or on a rolling road.
The two readings should maintain the same ratio. If one reading doubles so should the other reading.
If the readings maintain a fixed ratio the torque converter may be faulty. POSSIBLE FAULTS
Transmission torque converter mechanical fault.