Rearview Mirror compass showing temperature?

rmuller

Apr 28, 2004
Northern NJ
www.njlr.org
Hey all.. I think my rearview mirror compass is starting to go on my 2001 DII.. I'm assuming that it has absolutely nothing electrical under the hood.. only suspicion with that, is that I noticed the problems after playing in water & mud all day.. but anyways... at first it started displaying just a C instead of a direction.. then after a few hours, it displayed 188C/F making me assume that it is set up to give a temperature? And then today its back to normal.. so my basic questions are:

1. Is that a sign of the rearview mirror compass starting to go?
  2. Is there a thermometer on there? If so, how can I switch to it?

MTNHDWR

Apr 20, 2004
Charlotte NC
Mine has done the same on a few occasions. The compass automatically calibrates itself on start up. Sometimes it gets interference, i.e. power surges, etc. Usually shutting down and restarting does the trick. There isn't a thermometer, I think the mirror is the same used on some ford and GM models, They offer temperature. The LR outside temp is down below on the AC controls.

Sharkman

Jul 30, 2004
Michigan
compass mirror

Ryan, The '188C/F' you were seeing displayed on the mirror is 'all segments' of the Vacuum Fluorescent display lit at the same time. The VFD used on the compass mirror in the 2000+ D2s is also used on other vehicles that have compass and temp read-out. Your mirror is compass only. If the mirror displays 'C' it means it is in calibration mode and you need to drive the vehicle in a slow circle 1 or 2 times to recalibrate the compass. The only thing that would cause the VFD (Display) to show all segments would be if the compass sensors(located in the plastic channel mount cover where the mirror mounts to the windshield) were exposed to a larger then normal magnetic field (several gauss). If the problem happens again let me know and I maybe able to help you more. I work for the company that makes the mirrors supplied to the 2000+ rovers (not the pre 2000 leakers).

Steve

Alyssa

Apr 19, 2004
Philadelphia's Main Line
Geez! Me neither. I knew about the C, and even about the reset button underneath, but I'd never seen the 188C/F! Just building my knowledge base. Out of curiousity, why would someone be exposed to a large magnetic field?

rmuller

Apr 28, 2004
Northern NJ
www.njlr.org
Lets see.. I was driving home from the warped tour (punk concert) when I first noticed the C, when I got closer to the entrance from NJ to NY via the Holland Tunnel the 188 C/F appeared ..

Does that explain it? Not to me!

Sharkman

Jul 30, 2004
Michigan
Compass mirror

I'm not familer with the Holland tunnel but it probably is related to what you observed on your compass display. High voltage power lines, The L-Train in Chicago(overhead train), Large Iron Ore deposits, etc can all cause the compass coils to become saturated and the mirror display to read 'all segments'. It is also important to calibrate the compass in a area that is free from high magnetic fields and large metal objects (buildings, etc). To calibrate the mirror...press and hold the button on the underside of the mirror for 8 secs until the 'C' appears, then drive in a slow circle <5mph until a compass heading appears.

Steve

93Disco

Why the hell whould any one want a compass and temp display in there rearview mirror.
Somthing more to shat itself :( out on the trail :p
Thank god for D1's

MTNHDWR

Apr 20, 2004
Charlotte NC
Alyssa said:
Geez! Me neither. I knew about the C, and even about the reset button underneath, but I'd never seen the 188C/F! Just building my knowledge base. Out of curiousity, why would someone be exposed to a large magnetic field?

Mine was always messed up due to the radar detector I was running directly under it. As soon as I moved the detector, I got my compass back.

Paul K

May 1, 2004
La Grande, Oregon
So you can't change the readout to give temp instead of direction?

Well that sucks! I'd much rather know the temp than if I'm going south, which is a foregone conclusion...

kb3ejw

Oct 16, 2008
i was hoping there was a way to change it over to temp.i have a Lowrance Baja on the dash telling me which way I'm going.i would rather know the temp out side.how hard would it be to replace the mirror with the proper parts??