Flasing M & S

markj11

Apr 20, 2004
MS
The manual and sport light are flashing on my 99 DII. It has 80K+, the RPM's seem to be high also, about 3500 at 65 mph. What do I need to do, dealership is over 3.5 hours away.
Thanks,
Mark

hywy61

May 25, 2004
atlanta, ga
transmission fault

Mine has done that one a couple of different occasions. It went away after a few shutdowns and startups. No problems. Any noticable problems with the transmission?

MTNHDWR

Apr 20, 2004
Charlotte NC
I have had the same problem. Usually a shut off and restart corrects it.
Make sure your HI-LOW shifter is fully engaged into HI. I suggest locking into low then back into HI to verify.

markj11

Apr 20, 2004
MS
Thanks, I stopped a couple of times yesterday morning on the way to work and killed the truck but that didn't help but after work the lights were gone and I am back to normal. I have noticed that on some hot (95+) days when I get in and put it in reverse, it takes a few seconds before it actually will start moving.
Thanks,
Mark

byurko

Aug 30, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I've had the same problems recently w/ my 99 DII... Has anyone found a problem?

Also, sometimes when I shift it into park I can't remove my key - the P doesn't display on the cluster and the red light on the shifter doesn't light up next to park. I usually have to restart it and the P on the cluster will appear - then I can remove my key.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it related to the M & S flashing?

Thanks

Bryan

stansell

Jun 14, 2004
Norfolk, VA
My buddy Shane had his transmission go out on him this last weekend at Pismo Beach and he had the same flashing M and S on his dash. His transmission was bad enough that he could only go a short distance while cooled down (20 yards) before it lost power. Sounds like you are having a similar (though less advanced) problem. Shane will probably post some info when he finds out more about his particular problem tha may be helpful. :(

S

Snwbord24

Mine didn't flash all the time. It 'reset' when I turned the engine off then back on. They started flashing again after a minute or so of being in gear and no moving. I think it's the bands in the transmission going out. As Rob said, I'll post again when the dealer diagnoses my problem. They're looking at it as we speak.

S

Snwbord24

I have 44k on mine. The transmission fluid and filter were changed at the 30k service by the dealer. I wanted to check the fluid to see how it looked but didn't have a torx bit with me to open the fill plug.

hywy61

May 25, 2004
atlanta, ga
watch out when you pull that fill plug

you had better be prepared with a hand pump to replace the fluid that comes out. You might as well do a fluid change - detailed in the tech section here. Unless it is really low then nothing will come out - that would not be good since you have a leak somewhere or whoever refilled it last didn't put enough in.

S

Snwbord24

Well, it's at a service center in Santa Barbara right now so I don't have to worry about it. I would have pulled the fill plug in the dunes just to check it, nothing else I could have done. The transmission was already shot by then.

There are no signs of any leak either, very clean under there fluid wise just some dirt/sand.

S

Snwbord24

Just got a call from LR in Santa Barbara. Apparently the trans fliud was low and that's what was causing the problem. The fliud wasn't black just foamed up some from not having enough. It's possible there was some water in there but I don't think so. Regardless I'm going to find the vent hose and extend it up more. Wierd that I never noticed anything for 14k miles though. I guess I just hadn't worked the transmission hard enough before to notice it. The flashing M and S lights on yours might be from a completely different problem in the transmission as mine would reset after turning ignition off then back on.

DeanBrown3D

Apr 29, 2004
www.discoweb.org
Shane,

I watched a garage 'change' my fluid once, and watched them fill it up with the engine off and put the filler plug back in. Fuckers had no idea whatsoever. I wonder how many other rovers have been 'serviced' in this way.

Oh and they also told me it was specifically Dexron D-II, whatever that is.

Dean

D

Disco Mike

Mark,
have someone read the codes for your ****** as soon as you can. It sounds like you have a couple of things going on, hesitation when put in gear and the slippage at high speeds. I wouldn't keep driving it.
Mike

S

Snwbord24

Dean,

This was done at the dealer too. Hopefully the one in Santa Barbara will get it right.

byurko

Aug 30, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Shane,

Mine does the same thing... M&S will flash but will reset when restarted. Somtimes it takes a couple restarts. I'm planning on changing my filter/fluid next week. Gotta get the parts ordered today.

Also, on my other problem - I'm going to take the shifter assembly apart and clean all of the contacts. It doesn't happen every time which leads me to believe there's a faulty connection. Anyone else have problems w/ PARK engaging?

Bryan

DeanBrown3D

Apr 29, 2004
www.discoweb.org
Shane, it wasn't a dealer. Just a garage that said they had the machine to flush. Then the couldn't get the connector undone (or didn't want to piss around trying), so they changed the fluid manually 3 times as I requested (I had dumped water in it so I had to get it done fast.) The dealership said they don't have the flush machine, they would have to take out the box.

-D

S

Snwbord24

Bryan,

Definately get the fluid changed. I think the M&S flash when the vehicle is in gear and rpm's go up without a speed increase, or at least they're all related somehow. Are you seeing abnormally high rpm at standard speeds? I don't think your other problem is related to the flashing M&S though. Another thing that will not allow you to remove the key if you're in park is if it's not sensing your t-case in H or L. You can't remove the key when it's in Neutral. Just another contact to check and clean I guess.

Dean,

How exactly do you "dump" water in your transmission? :D

DeanBrown3D

Apr 29, 2004
www.discoweb.org
Because the fucking dumb ass breather goes up to the engine firewall and then BACK DOWN AGAIN to end right next to where it came out of the transmission, that's why.