drop out cones vs spring retainers

mightymg

Mar 6, 2005
Clinton Ut
There is no question in my mind the spring retainers are the way to go. I was, i repeat WAS a 5 yr veteran of drop cones, and I thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. well then i experianced MOAB 2005 FUN FEST. WIPEOUT HILL ohh I learned my leason I almost went over because i didnt have the retainers to stretch my spring back to level me out. wel JMHO...

Attachments

• moab 027.jpg
    moab 027.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 335

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
that is actually pretty remarkable - whoever took the picture did _not_ try to make it more dramatic, actually people in the photo lean to the back!

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
it's funny, but yeah the photo does flatten out the hill quite a bit.

i'm standing there (in the cowboy hat), Steve on the other side, and we're both standing straight up.
guess you need to lean your head to the left to get the proper perspective on how steep that climb is. caouse it is big.... :D

well Lane i'm glad you've seen the light.

kids these days... :rolleyes:
don't want to take others advice
have to find out for themselves...LOL

good times... ;)

and yeah HO, when Lanes behind the wheel, it's best to find a safe place to hide :eek:

Last edited:

curtis

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Pics just don't do WOH justice. I drove down it about 18 months ago and that bugger is STEEP. When I went back up I popped up the wheel of Eds truck (not as much as Lane) and decided I did not want to roll another drivers rig. I came up the optional climb - which should have been bonus points as its harder. Had a strap on that one though... :D

Great pics and glad to see Lane converted ;)

Ho

Staff member
steve.jpg

steve, fill in the blank.

mightymg

Mar 6, 2005
Clinton Ut
marc olivares said:
it's funny, but yeah the photo does flatten out the hill quite a bit.

i'm standing there (in the cowboy hat), Steve on the other side, and we're both standing straight up.
guess you need to lean your head to the left to get the proper perspective on how steep that climb is. caouse it is big.... :D

well Lane i'm glad you've seen the light.

kids these days... :rolleyes:
don't want to take others advice
have to find out for themselves...LOL

good times... ;)

and yeah HO, when Lanes behind the wheel, it's best to find a safe place to hide :eek:
cheap shot.... LOL the skinney pedal is missing a little off of the rubber pad now, But i did make it up everything , and fairly safely too.....

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
Alright I'll fill in the blank....."with a front locker you're climbing in the right rear and putting left front tire down." I know sometimes it feels shitty and you think that tire will keep going up but that was it. He was all the way in the hole. A little traction from the front and it would have walked out of that no problem.

R

rtiqulatendisco

It all depends on the situation. I've had cones help me out several times and piss me off others.

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
rtiqulatendisco said:
It all depends on the situation. I've had cones help me out several times and piss me off others.

How did it help? To take a sexy flexy pic?
:cool:

That was the only place it helped me. I had cones for a year or so and then switched to retainers. I can't think of anytime where cones were better than retainers. Please give us an actual example of where cones would be better than retainers.

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
Please don't say traction either because anybody who has gotten into a crossaxled situation with cones and no lockers can can attest to the fact that the unloaded side is getting so little traction anyway that it just spins.

Personally I just hate watching an offcamber situation where the back end of the truck unloads and there is nothing keeping it down. Believe me, I've seen every type of situation with both setups and a retained setup is without a doubt more stable. No question.