Increasing gas mileage?

S

syoung

drive gently- ensure the vehicle is properly maintained (including air filter, as you mentioned)-

F

frickjp

Raps said:
Is it possible? A new air filter perhaps? Is there a cheap way to do it? Thanks....

Mine gets towed on occasion. She gets great mileage up there on the rollback. Now there's a feature you don't hear about on the LExus!

The Limey

Dec 3, 2004
Clermont, Florida
Just found out the secret to better gas mileage...Remove all your mods...
My modded 97 D1 loaded for bear v my new Bone stock XD...Modded =250 per tank from miami steady 65 mpg...Xd...379 miles before filling the tank again...same kinds of speeds...

Although I will admit to me the ability to go anywhere is more important than economy...so the D1 mods will be done to the XD very soon....along with ARB's f+r with 4.11 and maxi drive rear axles which should be here tomorrow...

Marcus

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
an underpowered V8 pushing 5K pounds will never see good mileage. just deal.

i was pretty pumped this weekend getting 15.8 mpg on the higway with 32's and those lead weight NATOs.

i hear those Bosch Plats are the cats ass though! and the Plus 4s......well they just make my paint shine!

craig

Oct 1, 2004
Edmonds, WA
overlandnavigator.com
Keep it well maintained
Remove the roof rack
Keep your wheels light (stock alloys and 4 season radials as opposed to AT/MTs)
High octane fuel
powerchip

Generally, for fuel economy to go up you need to stay light on the gas and at the same time make your engine more efficient. Better camshaft, better heads, better exhaust, etc.

Get a second more fuel efficient car, ride a bike, walk, carpool, or take the bus if you want to save the environment (seriously). If you want to save money, you aren't likely to be able to make up in gas savings what you spend in modifications.

dhuddleson

Apr 21, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
As others are implying, you can't gain much... however you can gain tiny bits by doing such things as using synthetic fluids for engine oil, transmission, xfer case, diffs etc. Will help if you are in a cold winter climate.

And of course, as you know, clean air filters, proper tire inflation, and a LIGHT right foot....

However, there are no miracles for a gasoline V8 Disco...

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
FWIW - a friend of mine got himself a 2002 Pathfinder, about two months ago. He can't get over the fact that the thing only makes about 12 mpg in town - about the same as nearly any other 4x4 these days. I start feeling better about the 95 XJ I owned in the past - it'd make 16 in town: with a 4-banger, stick shift, no A/C, and 2WD.

cmoore207

Oct 8, 2004
Takoma Park, MD
By the time you spend all that money upgrading to synthetic fluids etc. to gain 2mpg it would have been cheaper to just buy the gas.

I bought a second car to commute in for $1500 this summer. It is well on its way to paying for itself.

LuisC

Jun 25, 2004
Austin, Texas
Funny, I just found a copy of Pop Sci mag, Dec. issue, left on one of my flights by a customer. In it there's an article, not an advertisement, about a new device available in March 06 that is designed for SUV that they say will increase fuel mileage by 40%.
It's made by a company in Canada called innovative Hydrogen Solutions, Inc.
It should sell for about a grand.
It will be interesting to see reviews on it.

Luis