I sunk my Battleship !

XtremeMarine

Banned
May 27, 2005
Vero Beach, Florida
Has anyone submerged, (badly), their Rover ? I put my Disco II in a mud hole in high gear, got it really stuck in low gear, and had to be pulled out by a Ford F250. Very embarrassing. The hole probably wasn't too deep, but my driver's side found a deep rut in the hole and my air box got swamped. After being pulled out, the truck was smoking really bad, dying intermittently, and the speakers were crackling with the stereo off. I can't get the truck out of low gear, and I can't get my key out of the ignition. After taking my air box apart, The paper filter element fell apart in my hand, but running, at idle, with an open mass air sensor; the truck is not smoking nearly as bad. The SRS light finally went off after a couple of hours, but the check engine light is still on. That's not too surprising. My lights, windows, and sunroofs all work. I am not going to try my power seats until it dries out some. The truck inside, was under water up to the cup holders; so the seat relays, fuses, and motors were all under water for at least 30-45 minutes. The 32 yokohama mud terrains were excellent. Purely driver error. PLEASE HELP !!! Most important is too get truck back into high gear and be able to remove key from ignition. Thank you so much in advance. Happy holidays.

Rover Puppy

Jun 10, 2004
Tallahassee, Florida
Daniel,

I can tell you how to get your key out and probably also will do the same for your shifting. I have to go retreive some pics and I will post right back with the instructions on how to do it -- it is not hard to do.

Jamie

Rover Puppy

Jun 10, 2004
Tallahassee, Florida
Okay,

1. You need to pull the top of your gear shift off. It is hard to pull off and the pulling motion must be toward the front window. I don't have the strength to pull it off unless I turn around in the seat with my back to the windsheild and pull.

2. Next, you will need to pull up the plastic housing that is over the gearshift (it has the gear lettering on it). It's pretty easy to pull up, but you can make the job easier by gently lifting with a flat head screwdriver.

3. (Optional Step) there is a wire plugy thing that you can disconnect that runs under the plastic housing (in the direction of the backseats). You can unplug that to move the cover totally out of the way if you need to see better.

So, now you are at the problem:

What happens is the little cylinder won't push in when it gets wet. Push this little cylinder in and you can move the gearshift into another position. When you move it into the "P" position you can release your key.

You will probably need to use this manual method anytime you want to move the gearshift until all of that area is totally dried out.

Lots of us here have dealt with water in our trucks. You will have no shortage of assistance on this BB. The guys will be much better than me at helping you with the mechanical issues, but I'm an expert at drying stuff out.

Let me know if you want help in advice on starting the drying process and I'll post how I get it dried out quickly.

Good Luck :) Jamie

Pics to follow immediately in next post :)

XtremeMarine

Banned
May 27, 2005
Vero Beach, Florida
Jamie, thenks so much. My mom just came down for the holidays, and I had to pay the rednecks a hundred bucks too get me out; so I have been getting the " will you ever grow up " speech for the last few hours. This is my work truck for my marine repair business; but I bought a rover so I could use it for what it was built to do. Drying will be a good idea, so all info, advice and good natureed jibing appreciated. Thank the gods it's a kalahari; so it has the techra interior instead of leather. Thanks again. When I wake up tomorrow, I was planning on taking a blow dryer to the seat electrics and the cd changer.

Rover Puppy

Jun 10, 2004
Tallahassee, Florida
XtremeMarine said:
marine repair business

Good, then you're way ahead of the game. Dry it out just like you would a boat. I put several small marine blower fans at the base of the interior. As you know, those little things create mass amounts of circulation and can get everything dried out in 1/2 a day.

XtremeMarine said:
I have been getting the " will you ever grow up " speech for the last few hours

I'd guesstimate that 99% of us get that from someone in our lives when it comes to our trucks :)

Try to keep smiling and chalk it up to rover baptism :)

DiscoS2

XtremeMarine said:
I had to pay the rednecks a hundred bucks too get me out;

Holy shit! The toothless hill scoggins here in central PA will do it for a 6 pack of Yuengling and they'll share it with you!

XtremeMarine said:
so I have been getting the " will you ever grow up " speech for the last few hours.

My mom gave me the "What time to you get in last night?" every time I went out drinking with my old friends when I came home for the holidays until last year.... and I'm 38.

Mark

jsonova99

Apr 14, 2005
Snow Hill, MD
DiscoS2 said:
My mom gave me the "What time to you get in last night?" every time I went out drinking with my old friends when I came home for the holidays until last year.... and I'm 38.

Mark

You, too? ;)

Anyway, ExtremeMarine, I'm in Melbourne, I'm curious where you were wheeling when all of this happened?

MontrealRR90

May 21, 2004
Montreal,Canada
just my two cents but check the engine oil if its doing what you said white smoke it is because you have water in the engine.Flush the engine with an engine flush and do an oil change now! also check the diffs for milky substance and change gear oil if needed.
were is the ecu on those ?i have taking the ecu out a dried it with a blow dryer and that worked well for me.

One advice i can give you when your in water is that when the engine is running your ok but once you stall the water comes in the exaust.Then when you try starting it water goes in to the engine. So once your stuck and stalled leave it at that if you can and get pulled out.

Also water comes in the air filter housing and that is not good eitheir water in the engine again and could damage the engine pretty bad has water does not compress to good at all think about a snorkel a good investment indeed.Finally keep motor oil with you at all times with a container to do an oil change with a filter a change the oil in the trail to minimise engine damage.Also if you have a lot of water in there you may have to pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over and the water will fly right out og there i would do that first and change the oil after. good luck :D

flyfisher11

May 25, 2005
Wolf Laurel NC
MontrealRR90 is dead on! You can use ATF as a flush too. There are plenty of threads on motor flushing here. I would surely get that baby flushed, oil changed, and lubed up after that experience. As a marine mechanic I'm sure you are already on to that but it is still good to stress those issues to one another.

Merry Christmas,

Mike

PS I'm 43 and too old to grow up now! ;)

KEEP ROVERIN'

1: Dump all of the fluids, all of them. Do it now, do not pass go, do it!!!

2: remove all of the interior.

3: reinstall only the minimal amount of interior to make the vehicle drivable

4: go do it again!

After having to drive my truck onto a berm and open the door to let the mud/water out, I came to my senses and removed the carpet and padding. It's a little noisier, but I don't have as much commenting from Shopgrrl when we go out and she has to pull her feet out of the muddy water rapidly running into the truck. At least, I haven't rolled the truck just to get the mud out!

PT

F

frickjp

It won't come out of low because the transfer box interlock solenoid isn't being powered. It's powered by the BCU, which is below the (yours anyway) waterline. You can get to the connector under the window switches. If you jumper power to it, it will activate the solenoid, allowing you to get the box back into hi range. Don't forget to dry out the radio amp under the drivers seat. If the water was clean, drying components out may restore order. If it was muddy, removing, diassembling, cleaning and drying may be needed. Don't worry, we're only talking about, oh, maybe 5K worth of stuff. Got insurance? You may want to report the incident if you do, water intrusion is the gift that keeps on giving.

See why they build boats the way they do? How long would raw copper last in a bilge?

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
that is one of PAs finest. Yuengling. we lost a few good men that day.

really funny thing is that i lost that pair of sunglasses in the center console that day. the following year i was standing along a section of trail waiting for people to get recovered. my friends son picked up something out of the mud and was showing his dad. they ended up being the sunglasses i lost the previous year. strange.

Rover Puppy

Jun 10, 2004
Tallahassee, Florida
Daniel,

These are the marine blower fans that I use to dry out my truck. I've got 3 of them and they were so worth the investment you can't believe it. $19.99 is a small price to pay for the job they do and the time & hassle they will save you from. Both Boaters World and West Marine have them at the stores. Other marine stores in your area may also have them.

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/...1&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=9231846

They're 12V, clip onto whatever area you need to direct them, and create so much breeze that it will be like a whirlwind drying out the inside of your truck. They're so strong that they make whatever they're clipped to shake (which is very annoying, but they do the job quickly).

Forget regular fans, they take forever and won't truly dry out whatever you need drying. These are way more effective than heated blow dryers and won't damage whatever you're drying.

They are a humongous asset when it comes to drying out the magical carpet in our trucks that swells so that it holds water. This is the only thing I have found that will effectively dry out the carpet. I have actually come up with a totally goofy way to rig up bungies and marine bungy "clips"so that I can get the carpet completely washed out and dried out in 4 hours max (even on the most humid days) by putting them under the carpet after I get all of the excess water from the carpet without removing my carpet from my truck. I remove the black strips from the doorways that hold the carpet down, the plastic "skirts" from the base of the front seats, I attach the bungy adjustable cips from the carpet edges to the ceiling handholds so that the carpet is lifted up in an optimal position (I look like a silly girl who has lost my mind), but it does work for me. The fans cause the air to blast so strongly up to the far reaches underneath the carpet (by the brake and gas pedals) that you can't get near the edges of the carpet without all that fast moving air coming back and hitting you in the face too hard. If you use these fans, walking near your truck will be like entering a cyclone.

I've found that spraying a light mist of that marine Mildew Block (made by 3M?) on the floor and the back of the carpet after I've dried it out has been a humongous asset in preventing mildew and any lingering problems or odors. It smells very strong and "cloroxy" for a few days, but using it will bring your rover back to smelling like it should smell new within a week. As you know, living in Florida brings a new dimension to mildew troubles.

BTW, for those of you who deal with wet boots, socks, and such... these little fans dry out boots and clothes so quickly it's amazing, so they're an awesome addition to carry in your truck. 12V and since they're adjustable to any position need, they also collapse easily for storage. When collapsed, they fit easily into zip lock freezer size bags so they will be dry when you need them. They dry out any equipment in a flash. The downside is that they are VERY VERY noisy.

Good Luck :) Jamie