Bars Radiator Stop Leak

nickb857

Apr 21, 2004
Las Vegas
I have had a small coolant leak for the past few months and i cant afford to really find the problem and pay for fixing it right now so i am going to give this a shot. Has anyone used it before with any positive results or did it not work at all? Thanks

The Limey

Dec 3, 2004
Clermont, Florida
yep...bars does the job....have had major leaks and Bars has stopped em...best way though it to adress the issue as opossed to band aiding it...or you could end up like me having to do heads on a truck after the head gasket let fly...

M,

nickb857

Apr 21, 2004
Las Vegas
great, thanks for your help. I really dont want to just baind aid it like you say and just fix it the right way but i am tight on cash right now and i need to get through this next semester of school before i can start buying things for my truck again.

A

Amm134

The stuff (Silver Bottle) works.

Follow the directions to a "T"............ you may be pleasantly suprised.

F

FrankyRizzo

Had a friend that dumped 3 jars in and it helped with a leaking head gasket.

Works very well. Have used it in the past with great results.

People who use that stuff on Rovers should be beaten with a broken axle shaft!

The cooling systems on these trucks are so marginal at best and now, you're intentionally introducing a goo that may or may not fix the symptom you're addressing while very likely further reducing the thermal transfer efficiency of an already over-taxed cooling system.

Find the leak and fix it!

nickb857

Apr 21, 2004
Las Vegas
well i bought the stuff but didnt use it, since i was waiting to hear some more responces. I keep finding coolant on the bottom of the oil pan but cant seem to locate the leak from anything. My mechanic thinks it is a leak in the head gasket but i havent gotten around to pressure testing it or anyother kind of definitive testing. I will have it tested and officially locate the leak. Thanks.

andrewv

ptschram said:

The cooling systems on these trucks are so marginal at best and now, you're intentionally introducing a goo that may or may not fix the symptom you're addressing while very likely further reducing the thermal transfer efficiency of an already over-taxed cooling system.

I was trying to be a bit more diplomatic:D

F

FrankyRizzo

ptschram said:

I said I have used it. Not in a Rover yet. Other domestics no problem.

DiscoS2

nickb857 said:
well i bought the stuff but didnt use it, since i was waiting to hear some more responces. I keep finding coolant on the bottom of the oil pan but cant seem to locate the leak from anything. My mechanic thinks it is a leak in the head gasket but i havent gotten around to pressure testing it or anyother kind of definitive testing. I will have it tested and officially locate the leak. Thanks.

It's possible to have an external head gasket leak without a leaking combustion chamber. My rover seeps a few drops (I *think* from the head gasket) down the left side, but it runs great. I think the total coolant loss is about 1-2 milliters a day. There's always a drop hanging, but there's never any on the pavement.
My Dodge Caravan has a minor external leak too, but I don't sweat it since the car runs fine and it's been this way for over 15,000 miles. Same situation as above; there's always a small puddle (0.5ml) in a pocket in the front of the engine, but never on the driveway.
Does anyone think retorquing the head bolts would help? Or would it more likely make things worse?

Mark

ChicagoDon

Feb 22, 2005
Chicago IL
DiscoS2 said:
It's possible to have an external head gasket leak without a leaking combustion chamber. My rover seeps a few drops (I *think* from the head gasket) down the left side, but it runs great. I think the total coolant loss is about 1-2 milliters a day. There's always a drop hanging, but there's never any on the pavement.

My D2 with 60k has that exact same leak, right down to every detail. My mechanic friend gave me 3 of these cylinder shaped clumps of solidified gasket repair compound (i forgot the actual name) and its been sealed and running fine for about 2k now.

D

DISCOINCUBUS

Bar's leak

ChicagoDon said:
My D2 with 60k has that exact same leak, right down to every detail. My mechanic friend gave me 3 of these cylinder shaped clumps of solidified gasket repair compound (i forgot the actual name) and its been sealed and running fine for about 2k now.

I would only use that stuff in a pinch , Your just prolonging the inevitable, Your truck is telling you in a nice
way HELP ME .

I never had a warning on mine , The head gasket just blew out , My truck looked like a crop duster going
the street :eek:

DannyDisco

Aug 9, 2005
Same DII head gasket leak as most of you above, mine left no puddle because it dropped right onto the steaming hot exhaust manifold. As per this board I put in some Bars and it's not been a problem since and there's been not a single problem. Mine leaked about 1/2 inch per month and hasn't gone down since then (Sept).

Dan

Jay B

Mar 27, 2005
White Marsh, MD
My two cents' worth:

As far as I know (15 years in auto parts business), Bar's will not hurt anything. The brown crud in the can is ground walnut hulls. It circulates through the system and actually cleans it. I used to sell the stuff to truckers, who put it in their rigs when they didn't even have a leak. It does a great job of stopping radiator and heater core leaks, but I don't know how well it works on hose connections and gasket leaks.

B

bshinn

Mine was emptying the overflow tank about once a week. 1 jar sealed it up about 5 months ago & it's been dry since.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
many times i have found that these coolant leaks which are initially diagnosed as heads, radiators, etc actually end up being an intake gasket (valley pan) leak. they always seem hard to track down becuase the fluid in many cases never actually finds the ground. it leaks out the back side of the motor and down the bell housing and onto the cats where it burns up and leaves a nice white residue. you can always smell it, but you never see it.
usually one of the end seals. one of the more common coolant leaks on a rover.

nickb857

Apr 21, 2004
Las Vegas
I topped up the coolant last week, it was down about 3/4" of an inch, and the last time i filled it was 3 months before that. It seems to be holding now so i will hold off on the Bars but hang onto it incase i should need it and the leak gets bigger, and only use it if i really need it to drive to get it fixed. Thanks for your help though, i appreciate it.