Take a Look, HELP! Any ideas?

P

Peter-man99

Any suggestions on the best way to get this clean?
disco1.jpg

cbass

Aug 23, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
So, what Peter-man didn't say is that this is my dad's disco. I do most of the work for him, and a little bit ago, he put me on this job. It started out with the lifters/rocker arms clacking away, so I opened it up to see if I could see anything. Obviously I found a big part of the problem (sludge).

I know some of you posted replies to help me clean this out on another thread (this one to be exact http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1156 ) so you don't necessarily have to post here also. I just thought I shouldn't be hijacking the other guy's thread, so I had peter post these pics here.

Cheers!

Last edited:
S

Sergei

Oh yeah baby.. :)

Looks just like mine at some point.

Well you in for the long long cleaning :)

Unbolt what you can unbolt (tocker shaft, head covers) and clean thee. (you dont have to disassemble shaft, but move rockers around to clean under them - they will move better)
Drop oil pan and clean thee.
Clean oil pickup screen.
Pop up plenum cover and clean it.
Then run some lovely motorflush thing.
Hope for the best :)

On bright side - you will learn how oil goes inside yer engine. And - cleaner it gets - cooler and smoother it runs.

Justin - how much you like to bet that yours is in much much better shape? :)

Last edited:

cbass

Aug 23, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Sergei,
Thanks for at least admitting that you had a rover this bad too, hehe. It makes me feel that little bit better... Anyway, I am heading in the right direction with what you are saying. I am starting to do exactly that. So hopefully I'll be able to get the majority of the big stuff out and then the flush can break up what's left. I am also going to try marvel mystery oil for a few hundred miles and then change the oil/filter to try to clean some of it out that way too.

PS, I'll also be replacing the rocker arm assemblies.

Thanks!

RoverChic

Apr 19, 2004
den Haag
Stupid ??

How does it get to be that way? I was going to swap out and change the valve cover gaskets..But if I find that I might not know what to do??

S

Sergei

LOL, its ok to have used dirty truck - there is no shame in trying to get it sorted out. It would be shame if you got it brand new and get to that state though. I dont understand how people may spend so much money on getting expensive SUVs and then completely ignoring even basic maintenance.

Melissa - its getting like that b/c of bad oil changing intervals and b/c of bad oil/additives.

As of process. Unfortunately I dont have pictures handy (i actually made shots when i been cleaning mine) and it may be not very proper, but ...

Easiest way to deal with gunk from parts that you dig out from there - is to use cleaning brush like they selling in painting departments, and some good remover. For parts outside of engine and where no seals involved best results i had with paint remover from ACEs hardware. Cant remember brand right away.

What i did - i set parts outside. Sprayed them with remover, then cleaned with brush, then sprayed with hoose ,then repeated. Untill i been blue in the face. That way all easily removable parts were sorted out. Then shafts needed more attention b/c there is laquer accumulating under rockers, so i moved those around, cleaned up with brush and kerosine (to push water away easier).
Then its all been dried up and oiled with lucas oil throughly but not excessively.

However for parts that you cant remove - be very carefull, as you can damage seals and hooses and all sorts of stuff with very active solvents. There you will have to find own ways.

I used kerosine based spray and been plugging all places where i didnt want with shop towels. Then wiped it all clean :) Its still got some bits in there, but it will get better with each oil change and flush.

Its getting on nerves and its damn smelly job, but it helps truck to run.

rpm2429

Jun 11, 2004
denver, co
I had a similar problem with the heads off of an old chevy my friend had. We pulled the heads off and took them to an engine shop where they cleaned them in this solvent/bath/heated oven type machine, it was pretty cool and they came out looking great. You might want to check some place like that out, for what it is worth. Ron

rpm2429

Jun 11, 2004
denver, co
This was a while back and I think it was around $60.00 a side. It was at one of those places that specialized in engine rebuilding and overhauls, there has to be one up there. We dropped them off and picked them up the next week, I would look in the yellow pages and start making some calls. If I remember correctly, they even took it all apart, springs, retainers, etc, and then cleaned everything and put it all back together, so all we had to do was slap them on, torque it down and fire it up and it ran great. Ron

andrewv

We see that more than most would ever imagine! Pull the heads and take them to a head shop. They'll put them in a Cuda (big parts dishwasher), and you're fine. Old school way is to run ATF as engine oil about 6 or 7 times, but you've got to be really careful of the oil pickup screen, as it will clog with all of the crap down there.

S

Steve83

I usually add some BG engine flush, run it at high idle for 5-10min, then drop the pan & pickup tube for a thorough cleaning. New oil & filter and a second oil change in ~500mi, and they're usually OK. Some MMO in the next few oil changes helps. I even did this with success (in the owner's opinion) on an '01 RR that still had the factory oil filter at 17,000 miles! :eek: :eek: :eek: He was P!$$ED that the factory oil couldn't last for 20Kmi! :rolleyes: He's been back since, and the engine seems OK.

Last edited:
S

Steve83

I do mine every 2K just because it's easier to keep track of: if the odometer has an even number in the thousands, it's time. Considering the SMALL cost of changing it SLIGHTLY more frequently over the entire life of the engine, and the LARGE benefit of keeping it changed, I think it's worth it. Right now, my engine has over 350K on it and it still runs strong with no sludge. It has never been rebuilt.

cbass

Aug 23, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Done a little work

Ok guys, today was project day. I pulled the other side's valve cover gasket and Land Rover Intermountain was open and had some Rocker arms in stock for a decent price ($77 for the whole assembly). Went up and picked them up and had a huge clean fest. I got some wire brushes and went to town on almost everything. I took Sergei's advice and took everything off that I could and doused it with cleaning solvent then scrubbed and scrubbed. I wiped out the cylinder heads as best I could, and got tons out, but there is still a thin layer of caked oil on everything. I was scared to use any kind of solvent in there. Hopefully the MMO and oil system flushes will be able to get that out. Anyway, here are some "cleaner" pics. I couldn't quite finish the job today, maybe this coming week. Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted.
NewRockers.jpg

CleanVC.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited: