Roof Rack Steel specs

romigenv

Oct 21, 2004
South Central PA
What's the outside/inside diameter of steel piping/tubing used on roof racks? Or, your recommendation. Going for strong, but light weight.

Thanks,

Jake

enonz98lr

Sep 12, 2005
Powhatan, VA
i built my rack out of 1 inch EMT, you can buy it at lowes or home depo. i can send you pics if you would like. the rack weighs next to nothing and has supported 300lbs with out flexing :cool:

romigenv

Oct 21, 2004
South Central PA
Pics would help.

Here's my story, not that anyone cares.

Last year I bought 1 pack of the Thule high foot mounts for my existing cross bars. I did this through Thule parts on-line. When they didn't show, I called Thule to determine status of my order. Customer service pulled my account and realized what I was trying to do (I had ordered all the parts separately as opposed to a package you buy in a store) so they changed the order to send me a different product number. But, somehow left the original order in place. Result is I ended up with two sets, which is 8 feet, enough for 4 cross bars. I'm getting two more cross bars soon. What I'm going to build is the top portion of a SD like rack to mount on my Thule bars. I realize that it won't be as strong, but, I don't need it to be. The bars I have mounted now seem pretty strong and I've put them through some abuse.

What's EMT? ___ metal tubing?

Quentin

Mar 19, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
romigenv said:
What's the outside/inside diameter of steel piping/tubing used on roof racks? Or, your recommendation. Going for strong, but light weight.

Thanks,

Jake

I used 1/2 inch (12.7mm OD x 9.3mm ID) mild steel tubing pitched roughly 100mm apart down the lenght of the roof, with cross braces at 300mm pitches. This was all welded together, galvanised and then powder coated. This whole rack was then mounted onto 4 standard roofrack crossbars. It's extremely strong, but weighs a ton!! About 30 kgs. It gives a massive load area for bulky goods.

enonz98lr

Sep 12, 2005
Powhatan, VA
i guess the best way to describe EMT is that it is used in the electrial field to run wires through. you can bend it with a hand bender and my brother welded it up with his Tig machine, but a mig machine would work also. if yall want closer pics i can walk down to the parking lot and take some. enjoy :cool:

Attachments

• rackpic.jpg
    rackpic.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 705
R

RCFloyd

Nice! Ya, I'd sure like some close-up shots of these homemade racks!!
Thanks,
Robert

Kai

Nov 18, 2004
Here is my homemade version. Tried to keep it low profile and I have a large kayak that I throw up there so I didn't want any cross rails on top.

Flame away :D

Attachments

• roof rack 1.jpg
    roof rack 1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 443
  • roof rack 2.jpg
    roof rack 2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 486
  • roof rack before.jpg
    roof rack before.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 388
A

AlanB

I would recommend 1" dia. 0.065" wall DOM (drawn over mandrel) tubing. Strong, light, seemless.

enonz98lr

Sep 12, 2005
Powhatan, VA
here are some closer pics of my rack that i posted earlyer. If any of yall would like one built im sure that i could do it again. mabye trade a rack and some $$ for a series rover project? :D

Attachments

• rearshot.jpg
    rearshot.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 367
  • hiliftside.jpg
    hiliftside.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 398
  • lightshot.jpg
    lightshot.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 331
R

RCFloyd

Very nice pictures guys!!

It's so nice to see a true DIY at work!

I'll do it too... once I get a rig!

Robert

A

AlanB

Be careful welding galvanized steel, the fumes that it produces is not good for you, just a word of precaution.

D

danielm60660

Wait a minute...I never thought that electrical conduit stuff would be strong enough to make a rack. If there are any plans out there I would be veryb interested in a copy. I'm willing to pay for plans.
Daniel

enonz98lr

Sep 12, 2005
Powhatan, VA
ok guys my brother used 125 feet of 1" EMT, at $1.80 a foot. so a rack with out the mounting brackets and flooring would be around $126 ish. but i would sill like to trade a rack and some $$ for a series rover :p selling plans might be another option, just send me a PM

X

XScoutguy

enonz98lr said:
ok guys my brother used 125 feet of 1" EMT, at $1.80 a foot. so a rack with out the mounting brackets and flooring would be around $126 ish. but i would sill like to trade a rack and some $$ for a series rover :p selling plans might be another option, just send me a PM
Nice work-did you fab the mounts on the rain gutters also?

enonz98lr

Sep 12, 2005
Powhatan, VA
sure did, the mounts are made out of 2" angle iron, also bought at lowes. the hi lift mounts and the lock system for it is also home made :cool: feel free to ask anymore questions....always glad to help out.

enonz98lr

Sep 12, 2005
Powhatan, VA
oh and XScoutguy i noticed you are from Mt. Airy. everheard of Camp Raven Knob? im going to be the RKORES instructor there this summer, so the rover and the rack will be there this weekend, and most of the summer. were you in scouting?