Check out my On-Board-Air setup

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
I finished my OBA tonight with the exception of the fitting for the Powertank. I need to make a bracket and like an idiot, I left valve open on the argon tank. I'll run to a buddy's house Sat and use his welder. Anyway here's how it works....

The first thing I did was modify the ARB wiring harness to hook up to factory LR switches for the compressor and the solonoid. The ARB pump runs to the manifold which has a glycerine filled gauge, a 100 psi safety pop off valve and a check valve. The manifold has two lines that run to each of the sliders which are used as air tanks. Because there is a possibility that I'll snap off a fitting, each slider can be isolated simply with the turn of a valve up by the frame. The plan is to fill the system wtih the Powertank before I go out wheeling and use the ARB compressor too keep the system pressurized. The check valve is necessary to keep the pressure in the system when it is not connected to the powertank. To connect the Powertank to the system I made a bracket with a male fitting that mounts near the tank. When I need it I just plug the tank in, fill the system, and shut the tank off. After solving all the little leaks the system holds pressure perfectly. I filled it to 100 psi last night and the needle didn't budge 24 hours later.

Here's the pics...

http://www.steverupp.phanfare.com/album/44244

traveltoad

Sep 4, 2004
SoCal - USA
Ruppsrover said:
You're kidding, right?

No. I thought the ARB compressor was designed to be mounted under the hood so you don't have to listen to it (maybe only an issue without the slider/tanks). I don't have an ARB compressor so maybe this is wrong. If there is a reason to mount it inside that has been discussed to death then forgive me, I missed it.

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
There's no reason. I didn't feel like leaving a nice pump in the elements. As far as hearing the pump, trust me i can hear other people's from inside my truck. That compact isn't as loud as the regular pump either. Also, with my setup i can get 60+ hits of the locker before the pressure drops below 80 psi and starts the compressor. So I'm sure i'll get a full day of wheeling without hearing it at all.

Nomar

Apr 23, 2004
Virginia
Nice looking air system, too nice for my truck. But I may consider tapping into my sliders; DChapman & I ran air into my rear bumper (just using a Quickair2).

craig

Oct 1, 2004
Edmonds, WA
overlandnavigator.com
Steve,

Looks sweet! I just finished my air tank install too (although I didn't plumb for lockers since I don't have any). I was considering using my sliders but had a couple of concerns...

Are you worried about rusting your sliders from the inside out? I thought I read that even air tanks that are lined to prevent rust only have a shelf life of 3-5 years. Are you running the Safari Gard sliders that are pre-plumbed for this, or did you plumb your (RTE?) sliders? Drain cocks?

--Craig

Last edited:

RoverChic

Apr 19, 2004
den Haag
Nomar said:
Nice looking air system, too nice for my truck. But I may consider tapping into my sliders; DChapman & I ran air into my rear bumper (just using a Quickair2).

X2! Perfection at it's finest...Maybe OCD! :D Looks very clean, excellent work! Now test it out!

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Great work Steve... as usual.

So you've bit the bullet and are going selectable lockers.

Just front or dual?

ARB?

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
Thanks. Yeah, I'm a little OCD. Almost as much as someone else on this board.

Craig to be honest, I'm not really that concerned. I'm sure the way I change parts the sliders will be gone before they rust. I'm thinking of putting an air dryer on the lines to the sliders, but haven't found one that I would like to use. Good ones are damn expensive. I'll keep looking.

Bri, just front. I love the Detroit too much. I did wire up both switches though just incase. ;). It'll be super easy. Just throw another solonoid on the manifold.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Ruppsrover said:
You're right I am a little bored right now. Just wait though. I have something else up my sleeve. :D

It will never end. I seem to remember hearing someone say "I'm done". As if.