Fault code P1313

B

BradN

Any one know what is the cause of this code. It is listed as a "Catalyst damage bank a misfire fault". Before the check engine light can on, the truck was expereinceing moderate hesitation. The check engine light was flashing, so we pulled off to the side of the road. After waiting about 15min, I restarted the truck and the light was on but no longer flashing. I drove it home with no problems.

S

Steve83

Next time you get the hesitation & flashing light, drive it a LITTLE longer so the computer has time to identify the cylinder(s) that are misfiring. Obviously, if the symptoms seem even SLIGHTLY different, then you might have another more serious problem, and you should stop.

In the meantime, get a cheap spark tester, set it for ~27kV and see if each spark plug wire throws a nice steady spark for a few seconds at idle. If any of them sound intermittent, it indicates a bad coil or wire.

If they're all smooth, try to get a cheap vacuum gauge & hook it to the intake (the R PCV nipple on the plenum is usually the best spot) & run it so you can see it while driving. When traffic permits, put it in 2 and run it up to ~4,000 RPM for a second or two, then drop it into D and try to hold the pedal steady so the needle shows 5" of vacuum. If the needle bounces, you need a valve job.

B

BradN

Thanks. I was planning getting new plugs since the old ones have at least 15k on them. I hope that it is not a valve job because I did a complete valve job about 30-40k miles ago. I will check the spark and vacumn just to be sure. I also have read on another site it could be related to a faulty coolant temp sensor.

Thanks

B

BradN

Steve

What is the 5" measured in? Is it inches of water or hg?

Thanks

B

BradN

My pressure gauge was reading about 15"Hg when at idle. Is that too high. I had it connected to the plenmum.

thanks

B

BradN

I forgot to tell you that I changed out the plugs and it seams to be running better. all the plugs were covered in soot and carbon equally. They were bosh platimum 2. I switch to champions RN12yc as recommened by JE Robison's web site

B

bksspear13

Just found individual coils for my 97, at autozone, for abot 76.00 I emailed about 10 places to get the individual coils but none wanted to sell em, and I'll be damned if they don't sell them individually, which could save 500 bucks if only one is down and about 150 if they all need replaced...hope this helps, I will find the Part # and post it as well

B

barefoot

BradN said:
I forgot to tell you that I changed out the plugs and it seams to be running better. all the plugs were covered in soot and carbon equally. They were bosh platimum 2. I switch to champions RN12yc as recommened by JE Robison's web site

DING DING DING...:rofl: :applause: