Gasket sealer????????????..$5

Total________________________________$126.00 approximately

Tools Used:

Drill with 13/32? bit
Jig saw with metal blades
Wrench
Hacksaw
File

The Idea was to make my cargo area more sturdy and also a place where I could tie
Down my misc. things, and something that could be easily cleaned up, unlike carpet.

If you can?t part with your subs then this is not a project for you. I hated the rear cargo door and it needed something done with it, as I am sure all 1995 discos are also in need
of.

(1) A piece of diamond plate was purchased from a local metal shop. I then removed the body panel of the rear door. Using the panel as a template I traced around it and cut it with a jig saw. The spot for the inside door handle was also traced out and cut. I did not decide to keep the inner handle because I did not see need for it.
(2) After some filing of the edges I took the cut aluminum to the door and fastened it with some self tapping metal screws. I replaced the door handle flashing and that was it.
(3) The mat is a material that is perfect for a high use area. I knew what I wanted for my cargo area, something thick, rubber, gripping, and durable. I found just the thing in a weight lifting store, or a place that sells treadmills and things of that nature. I picked up my mat for $65, as stated above, and I have a lot left over.
(4) I removed the rear mat and used it as a template, marking out its outline on the rubber. I then measured the rest of the length to extend it under the seats. I cut the mat with a hack saw, only because it was the best tool I had, however it did a good job. I measured and cut slots for the seatbelts, and then fitted the mat.
(5) To install the tie downs I used a 13/32? drill bit to drill the holes, carefully as to not puncture any fuel lines or anything under the body. Using some carriage bolts, washers and lock washers I fastened down the rings. Before tightening I applied some gasket sealer to the top of the washer to seal the hole. I spray painted the underside of the hardware to seal it further.

Things that I could have also done:

You could use some of hi-lifts slide-n-loc bars for your tie downs.

You could also remove the carpet completely.

Attachments

• cargo.jpg
    cargo.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 1,515

RAV

Sep 16, 2005
SEATTLE
Looks great! :bigok: I'd like to do all my doors like that. Not too practical to do the passenger doors in the DII though. ;)

Mikey

Dec 16, 2005
Littleton, CO
That is nice! I just removed my sub and have been wondering what to cover the hole with. Now I'm thinking I'll just do the whole thing like your's. Did you pull out all the factory foam material from the cargo area floor or just lay this over it?
-Michael

James Long

May 14, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Mikey said:
That is nice! I just removed my sub and have been wondering what to cover the hole with. Now I'm thinking I'll just do the whole thing like your's. Did you pull out all the factory foam material from the cargo area floor or just lay this over it?
-Michael

I just layed the matt over the carpet, but im sure that you could cut out the flooring all of the way down to the metal and achieve the same function and look, it might even fit better.

D

d2jonas

That looks good! Question-- how are rear passengers supposed to close the back door? Do you want them to pull on the latch? Or do you not have rear passengers enough for that to be an issue?

I

Ivan

Cool write up. I always wondered how the aluminum panels went on the door.

I cut to fit an office chair mat on the cargo area. Keeps the carpet pretty clean, and easier to clean up dirt, sand, etc.

Btw, are you going to hang anything off the aluminum panel? Maybe hang (securely of course) straps, tools, etc., off of it?

00Disco2

Jul 27, 2006
wow man, that lookds great.....looks to good to be hand crafted, looks like something you would have ordered :) good job

maxyedor

May 9, 2006
Looks great but if I may offer a suggestion or two, as I will soon be going the same thing myself. I would install more floor anchors to tie things down to, at least two more. Also I will be mounting brackets to hold my shovel, pick, flashlights and awning steaks on my alum. door panel so they stay out of the way, yet ready whenever I need them.

Discoinjapan

Feb 14, 2006
Yokosuka Japan via PA
maxyedor said:
Looks great but if I may offer a suggestion or two, as I will soon be going the same thing myself. I would install more floor anchors to tie things down to, at least two more. Also I will be mounting brackets to hold my shovel, pick, flashlights and awning steaks on my alum. door panel so they stay out of the way, yet ready whenever I need them.

Mount the shovel on the door! It can also be used as the handle, Good!

A friend of mine did this years ago to his Disco and I love it eventually I will do the same.
Good write up!

tpk241

Jul 11, 2006
South West, UK
Rubber Flooring looks great, I am definately going to do this.

I had to strip out the back of my Disco (UK Commercial Van Version) as it was used to give birth to sheep and various other farm type messy stuff. I removed the carpet and the rubber matting. Underneath this matting was soaked and I am amazed that the floor wasn't rusted through.

So if it were me i would look at replacing the standard underlay with some that doesnt hold water. maybe just use 2 layers of the rubber matting.

Stu

James Long

May 14, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Ivan said:
Cool write up. I always wondered how the aluminum panels went on the door.

I cut to fit an office chair mat on the cargo area. Keeps the carpet pretty clean, and easier to clean up dirt, sand, etc.

Btw, are you going to hang anything off the aluminum panel? Maybe hang (securely of course) straps, tools, etc., off of it?

that is a great idea, I think I know what I will be doing this weekend.

James Long

May 14, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
If anyone finds out a good way to mount some tools securely please post it. I seem to remember a thread on a hardware store bought hi-lift mount, it had something to do with o-clamps?