D1 Rear Door Table

DiscoveryXD

May 1, 2004
where i'm at right now, duh...
Well, here's my new rear door table that I'm almost done with. I need to sand/stain the wood so it can handle cooking spills...

Special thanks to Marc for the help with his pictures and parts list. Now I just need to find one of those fancy magnetic fork holders.:D

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 233
  • table2.jpg
    table2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 265

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
Lookin' good Matt :applause:

check a true value hardware store for cap covers.

i've gotten some there in the past.

wha'd you end up using for the backing plate for the door?

bed bath and beyond for the fancy magnetic holder :cool:

DiscoveryXD

May 1, 2004
marc olivares said:
Lookin' good Matt :applause:

check a true value hardware store for cap covers.

i've gotten some there in the past.

wha'd you end up using for the backing plate for the door?

bed bath and beyond for the fancy magnetic holder :cool:

Thanks Marc.

I went to the true value near my house and I couldn't find anything. I guess I'll have to search around for some specialty fastner shop or something.

I went out and bought a sheet of 18g stainless steel like you said. I took some sand paper to it, then put several coats of flat black rustoleum on it. It turned out really nice. Now I just need to finish the table. I can't decide if I want to add some sort of thin laminate material to the top of the wood (kinda like you see on countertops) or if I should just treat it and call it good?

Discoinjapan

Feb 14, 2006
Yokosuka Japan via PA
DiscoveryXD said:
Thanks Marc.

I went to the true value near my house and I couldn't find anything. I guess I'll have to search around for some specialty fastner shop or something.

I went out and bought a sheet of 18g stainless steel like you said. I took some sand paper to it, then put several coats of flat black rustoleum on it. It turned out really nice. Now I just need to finish the table. I can't decide if I want to add some sort of thin laminate material to the top of the wood (kinda like you see on countertops) or if I should just treat it and call it good?

18g SS, Isnt that too heavy? Ive been trying to do that to my door but Im trying to find some alluminum sheet metal(cant find it big enough).

benlittle

Jul 18, 2005
Draper
DiscoveryXD said:
Anyone know where i could get some liitle black caps to cover the 7/16" bolts? I can't find any here in town...

You need some "snap caps" I would also check a boat supply store.

Just like my door table is gonna be accept I found black rivets:cool:

wvrover

Apr 5, 2005
If you have a local truck accessory store check with them about bolt covers for lund sunvisor they come in 3 sizes 5/16, 3/8,and 7/16 . If they can't help let me know and I can send you some

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
looks really nice. i like the black painted steel door cover. maybe round off the corners of the table? that way less likely to poke your leg walking around it.

DiscoveryXD

May 1, 2004
Robbie said:
looks really nice. i like the black painted steel door cover. maybe round off the corners of the table? that way less likely to poke your leg walking around it.

for sure. I haven't really touched the table yet, I wanted to put it all together first. I'm still wondering about the cooking surface....

Should I stain/clear coat it and be done? or try and find some type of laminate just for the top?

Asolo3j

Nov 8, 2004
Annapolis
I would say stain and clear coat. It will look clean and easy to maintain. After is shows wear, just sand and reapply. A laminate would look good but a pain to take care of chips, cuts, replacing top...

Good work and I like the idea.

Another option for the table surface would be marine Starboard. Great material and easy to work with, comes in white and black I think.