Help me plan a roadtrip in the southwest

ChicagoDon

Feb 22, 2005
Chicago IL
2 Friends and I are packing up the D2 and going on a 6 day long road trip for spring break. I'd rather go wheeling, hiking, and camping compared to going to mexico like everyone else. We will be leaving phoenix and returning to there 6 days later. I am new to the southwest so I dont know all of the spots around here that are good for wheeling and hiking and stuff like that. I have no restraint on gas or miles traveled. I'd hope to hit up 3 different destinations. Most driving will be done at night. Im sure the guys on here from the southwest will come up with some good suggestions. Thanks.

G

gil stevens

go up thru vegas to the north rim and then loop around thru the national parks in southern utah into moab thru the 4 corners into monument valley and home.

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
ChicagoDon said:
2 Friends and I are packing up the D2 and going on a 6 day long road trip for spring break. I'd rather go wheeling, hiking, and camping compared to going to mexico like everyone else. We will be leaving phoenix and returning to there 6 days later. I am new to the southwest so I dont know all of the spots around here that are good for wheeling and hiking and stuff like that. I have no restraint on gas or miles traveled. I'd hope to hit up 3 different destinations. Most driving will be done at night. Im sure the guys on here from the southwest will come up with some good suggestions. Thanks.

According to the "banned" thread, I'm a poser. ;) but here's a list I know of that has some places listed. Never been on them, but I used to drive a parts truck up to several areas in superior and safford. Looks like a good place to wheel. http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/ari...ails_and_Maps_For_4x4_Trucks_and_4WD_SUVs.htm. I'd add in sedona, prescott, superior, Safford and the lost dutchman area.

Roverlady

Apr 20, 2004
Shenandoah valley
If you are going to take a trip, you need to ask Jack Quinlan to help you plan. He is the all-knowing of all four-wheel drive expeditions. He MUST be consulted before you plan to drive your Land Rover anywhere, you MUST take pictures when you go and post them when you get back so that you can prove you have used your 4wd correctly.

Good luck and godspeed.

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
Hey Don, give me a call...I've got routes and maps that may help u hit all the places you're looking for...

Frank

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Roverlady said:
If you are going to take a trip, you need to ask Jack Quinlan to help you plan. He is the all-knowing of all four-wheel drive expeditions. He MUST be consulted before you plan to drive your Land Rover anywhere, you MUST take pictures when you go and post them when you get back so that you can prove you have used your 4wd correctly.

Good luck and godspeed.

And you have to take pictures to prove that you can cook a gourmet meal on the trail as well.;)

SLC99Disco

Feb 5, 2006
Utah
I have always wanted to run the Hole in the Rock trail by Lake Powell is S.Utah, I think a few years ago 4 wheel and sport utility magazine published an article where some guys drove from Page, AZ. to Moab, UT. mostly on dirt trails and I have always thought that something like that would be fun too.

ChicagoDon

Feb 22, 2005
Chicago IL
Right now we are looking at Zion National Park and Arches National Park. Our concern is, can you actually go backpacking and wander off of the gravel paths? Or are both of these places ruled by environmental nazis who make you say in campgrounds and walk on man made paths?

peter sherman

May 10, 2004
Fake Forest, IL
I just did a search of El Bruno's in Cuba NM & it fn burt down! Great place to eat. Not anymore.
Chaco
Bandelier
Espanola & hang in the home of the Low rider
I have hung out in the SW but not wheeled there. Mostly drove around after skiing at Taos

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
Q: What do you call a girl from Espanola with no brothers?

A: a virgin

Peter, ever eat at El Pinto in Corrales?

peter sherman

May 10, 2004
Fake Forest, IL
it doest ring a bell but that doesn't mean anything.
another great place is rancho de Chimayo.
Its been 10 years since I was last out there but skied there for 12-13 years in a row

G

gil stevens

you can roam out in those parks. you probably should stay on marked trails, but that becomes a moral issue. if you want to skip the north rim and just hit arches and moab, then you should head east out of phoenix and hit the high desert of NM. theres some killer trails in and along the rio grande.. not to mention, santa fe is one of the coolest towns in the US. then go up thru taos and the 4 corners and hit moab and arches on the backside.

G

gil stevens

i would also spend more time in bryce as oppossed to zion