Let's talk guns for Birds

Eric N.

Apr 20, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Ok, I have been out a few times ( haven't been in a long time though) for ducks, grouse, pheasant, and once for turkey.. Well, I have always just used whatever my dad or step dad handed me ( double barrel side by side or over under ).. I never really though about getting a bird gun until now.. I want to start up again ( even more so now that my step dad has this great new bird dog damn dog is incredible ) but, I'm just not sure what's good.. I'm pretty much looking at every thing from pump to side by side and would like some opinions.. So what are you guys using ( type and brand ) and why do you like them? I have all sorts of guns around the house but, lets face it most of them are just for taking down people.. I'm going to be looking for a new hunting rifle too but, I'll start that thread later.

So what do you got?

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
That's a tough question since there are different types of birds. It's kind of like saying I want a rifle for mammals. Do you plan on having multiple shotguns for birds or just one?

If it's just one, I'd get the Benelli Super Black Eagle - http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/index.tpl. It's a semi-auto capable of shooting 2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/2" 12 gauge. It's a versatile shotgun that should cover most birds. If you want to get more specific later, maybe start looking at 20 gauge for upland birds.

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=008B&cat_id=013&type_id=087

I know this is pretty pricy, but I would love to have this shotgun. I would go with a 28" 12g. I believe Browning makes a model like this with no bling for around $1500. You will be hardpressed to find a nice over/under much cheaper than that. I would just look for something with removable chokes and a vented barrel. If you have removable chokes, go with a 28" barrel. I'm pretty sure you can get 4" choke extensions in all patterns. You could use this shotgun for skeet, trap, clays, and birds from pheasant to goose. I like to use a 20g for pheasant but a 12g works fine. Just give them a second or two. I would actually like to have a 410 or 28g for pheasant or quail.

I know this is a shotgun thread, but what kind of dog does your dad have. I'm partial to German Shorthair Pointers.

L

LMRW

two top choices there thats for sure .i shoot a berata 12 gauge semi auto. i would sugesst a semi-auto cause when and if it comes time to try your aim a deer you will be able to convert to a slug barrel and fit a scope! shotguns in my opinion are the best all aroung guns. all you need to carry with you are different shells. ;)

K

Kyle

For starters. Does this look familliar LMRW ? I got for a pair of Model 37 Ithacas for Xmas when I was 9 (A deer slayer and a featherlite) and shot nothing but them for years and years. Unfortunately I shot them for so long that I cannot shoot anything but a pump now. My father has always shot an old ass worn out AL2 Beretta until I bought him the 390 in the pic a few years ago. The AL2 was still working fine however there isnt much blue left on the reciever and the aluminum is showing. We have shot side by side for most of my life now , him shooting that auto and me shooting a pump gun and its a tough call as to which gun gets it done better. I also grew up shooting strictly full choke on everything and that includes pretty much anything that has wings and feathers. You have to let jumping birds get out a little before going to work on them but there are far less cripples and you know when you hit them and when you have missed :) . I recently bought a Benelli Nova to try out and the first thing I noticed was the weight. Its like a brick compared to my Ithaca , not sure I am going to like it but we shall see.
The Beretta is a good choice Eric and deals can be found. My first impressions of the Benelli are that I wouldnt want to lug it all day bird hunting. If you dont really care about new and cool you could also look for one of the featherlite browning 20 guage shotguns. They are kinda scarce but very light and those I know with them love them. Let me see if I can find a little clip I have posted here somewhere..

Attachments

• beretta.jpg
    beretta.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 166

Eric N.

Apr 20, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Cool guys, thanks for the suggestions. I'll go check them out and shoot them and see.. I'm not looking to use it for anything but things with wings so I'm not worried about running slugs through it.. I'm going to get a different rifle for that. Kyle, I don't care about new and cool when it comes to hunting. Just some thing that gets the job done, lasts, and will hold up to some abuse for years and years. I like the idea of the pump though.

If I remember correctly he has a Brittany Spaniel.. He's been working with her alot but, the dog just seems to be a natural at it and really loves doing it... I may just get back into it and use whatever my step hands me while I'm thinking about what to get.. There is a few other things that I need to save money for first..

K

Kyle

I wonder what they would charge you for a whole pheasant in an upscale resteraunt... Eric , we make several trips every year to the same place on the Eastern Shore to hunt. Just let me know if you want to go. I will bring a few guns for you to try out....

Eric N.

Apr 20, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Cool, I'll have to take you up on that... Should be a good laugh for you and your father or friends since I haven't shot at anything moving in a couple of years so I'm sure I'll be missing more then hitting. Main reason for getting my own was so that I can practice with it.. But, ya man, that would be cool..

K

Kyle

Man we just go to laugh our asses off and get some nice dinners out of it. As you can imagine the competition between me and my old man has grown bigger and bigger over the years so its a good laugh anyway..... I have blown a few up just to keep him from shooting it out from under me..... lol

andrewv

I shoot a Benelli Montefeltro Super 90. Lighter than the Black Eagle, but you can't shoot 3 1/2's through it. I've never really shot 3 1/2's, so that wasn't important to me, but the lighter weight is. Walking around all day with an old Browning A5 gets really old.

andrewv

Rupp: I knew you must be a smart dude :cool: When I had that A5 for a meat and tater gun, it got bigger every time I took it out of the case! 9 out of 10 folks I know that shoot over/unders shoot Brownings, although I've started seeing Silver Pigeons (Ruger?) that are very nice.

K

Kyle

I think they come from the factory pretty well "Armed" :) Better then us anyway.........