DII Longevity

nzoliver

OK !

I have a '99 DII V8i without SLS. It has 72000km on it.(44700miles). I would like to hear from anyone who has or has not had many issues with the major thinks listed on the relevant Landie sites. Things like front driveshaft, a/c drain leaks, head gaskets, sucking sounds from the dash, and ABS modulators.
I want to keep this truck :roll: but if it is going to cost me plenty big moola then I don't want it anymore. I have read oll the stories on the net so far but I would like to know the ratio of people who have had more than 1 of the issues listed :( versus the people who's vehicles have given sterling service. :D

Thanks all. 8)

QCNR

Oct 17, 2004
Norway
It can last forever with proper maintanance and repair.
Question should be how much money do you want to 'invest' in the vehicle
and what are the costs, advantages, disadvantages of another vehicle.

The Rover V8 can slog on forever, just give it clean oil very regulary.

flyfisher11

May 25, 2005
Wolf Laurel NC
Preventative maintenance is key. If you don't want to be tinkering and tuning then sell it, but if you make it at least a casual hobby of sorts you will be okay for the most part.

Good Luck,

Mike
:victory:

jsonova99

Apr 14, 2005
Snow Hill, MD
I've always been super anal when it comes to maintenance on mine and I've been going strong for 7 years with no major repairs. (As I click the submit button I'm sure my ABS module will break :D )

XtremeMarine

Banned
May 27, 2005
Vero Beach, Florida
Mine only breaks down from intense use. No actual "regular" DII problems have shown up, YET. Knock on wood. 41000 miles, and only problem I haven't caused myself is a blown tranny.

A

acousticallyblue

I had the same feeling about mine 25,000 miles ago...2000 DII, 117k. In fact, I was thinking of trading it in last summer or something with fewer miles, better mileage, and cheaper parts--but I couldn't do it. I've had it for the last 70k miles, and only minor repairs so far (nothing more than about $300 at a time). I guess you have to weigh the possible costs with the enjoyment you get from it (and in my case, the fairly low trade-in value of a high-mileage vehicle). So it can last at least a little longer; but if you're that worried about it, trade it in for a Civic.

Good luck.

jsonova99

Apr 14, 2005
Snow Hill, MD
I would like to get to a point where I don't have to rely on it daily though in a few years. That way if anything big creeps up I'm not obligated to fix it immediately.

rcshauger

Dec 29, 2006
Albuquerque, NM
From my understanding, the D2 has most of its problems, if it will have them, in the first 50 K miles (80K) Km. Keep the constant, small cashflow into the truck and it should be as good as any other.

Why buy another Rover that you will have the same issues with down the road?

Keep an eye on the fluids and change them regularly. Listen for new noises and get familiar with your Rover, so you know when things start to go south and can find parts at your leisure, not in a hurry. My .02.

rmuller

Apr 28, 2004
Northern NJ
www.njlr.org
i have 83k on mine, and i've fixed the following:

- front u-joint on front driveshaft
- throttle body pre-heater gasket
- head gaskets ($$)
- 70mm pulley
- rear wiper motor
- watts linkage bushing

Out of all of those, the head gasket was the only expensive one that I didn't do myself (was still under warranty.. score!)... I do a lot of preventative maintenance also.. i'm under the bonnet at least once a week.

AU_88

Feb 28, 2006
Atlanta
rmuller said:
i have 83k on mine, and i've fixed the following:

- front u-joint on front driveshaft
- throttle body pre-heater gasket
- head gaskets ($$)
- 70mm pulley
- rear wiper motor
- watts linkage bushing

Out of all of those, the head gasket was the only expensive one that I didn't do myself (was still under warranty.. score!)... I do a lot of preventative maintenance also.. i'm under the bonnet at least once a week.

The watts linkage bushing sucks, I had to do it in December... I have almost 94k and I have only had 1 major fix and that was the head gaskets. Other than that just keep up on the maintenance.

B

BlueJay83

I have a '00 DII and I just cracked the block...ugh! I maintained it well and only my wife drove it to and from work. I put in a call to LR Customer Service as to what, if any, coverage I have on an out of warranty 4.0 V8. I'm disgusted because it only has 65k miles on it and it's supposed to be The Luxury SUV...should have kept the Series IIa.

Beans

Looking for an engine....

rmuller

Apr 28, 2004
Northern NJ
www.njlr.org
Robert Alley said:
The watts linkage bushing sucks, I had to do it in December... I have almost 94k and I have only had 1 major fix and that was the head gaskets. Other than that just keep up on the maintenance.

Yeah, it really sucks when you dont have a press.. first one we did around here, we tried to do w/o a press.. took many hours til we finally hack sawed it out... the latest one I did on mine, we had a 20-ton press.. it took a total of 2 mins :)

Tedlou

Jun 30, 2004
Reading, Pa
I have a 99 Disco II with 130000 miles on it and it is still running strong. 60 + miles a day. I think the regular maintenance is the key.

A

amyandchuck

We bought our 1999 Discovery 2 1/2 years ago for 11K (with 86K miles). We had many problems with the truck and traded it in on a 2007 Xterra Offroad earlier this year. We were happy to get $4K on the trade (off course on a trade you really don't know the real number since they can raise the selling price of the new vehicle). The Disco had 123K miles on it when we traded it.

When we traded the Discovery it had the following problems:
- needed 4 new tires
- three amigos
- leaking SLS system (deflated overnight)
- no AC or heat...blower didn't even come on
- leaking head gasket (leaked oil)
- leaking rear main seal (leaked oil)
- front drive shaft making funny noises

With all of that said my wife loved her Disco and still misses the truck. At some point we might buy another Rover as a hobby truck...but as a daily driver it was too needy. :banghead:

Durda

Feb 20, 2007
AZ
FWIW my 2003 has 53,000 miles and havent had any of the "main problems" I have had problems with...the secondary air injectors, the AC fan, coolant leaking, door locks, windshield wiper switch, defective wheel speed sensor....

Why the hell do I love this truck, anyway?

pjkbrit

Apr 23, 2004
I had a 1999 D2...from 43K to 88K. I replaced the frint U joint preventatively. It developed an annoying transfer box leak...wasn't that bad, never fixed it. 3 Amigos...the dealer fixed under warranty right at the start. Otherwise totally reliable.
Current 04 D2 has 30K...so a bit new. Been fine but for the dealer causing a fault code after the tranny filter service that I should have done myself.
Maintenence is ...as always...the key. These motors are just fine if treated well. oh...and avoid lots of short runs...a comment that applies to all vehicles IMHO.

Meisterbr?wn

Jul 20, 2004
Longview, WA
I have a 2000 DII with about 77k miles. Owned it since 24k miles.

Repair work completed:
3 amigos - at least 4 trip to the dealer (warranty / no cost)
leaking xfer case seal - 1 trip to the dealer (warranty / no cost)
busted steering box - 1 trip to the dealer (warranty / no cost)
brake light switch - 1 trip to dealer (I did the troubleshooting they gave me the part / no cost)
replaced MAF ($120 or so)

It is currently at the repair shop:
Coolant loss being investigated, could be one of a number of gaskets or possibly a slipped liner which = new engine :( ($$$ ????)
Some new oil leak ($$$ ????)
Broken passenger window regulator (about $125)
Passenger seat won't move forward or back (might not get this repaired)

If it needs a new motor, I might just try selling as-is.

FWIW, I have maintained it per the factory recommended schedule and have a 3-ring binder with all my receipts, UPCs and notes in clear plastic sheet protectors. Can't think of much more I could do to the truck.

Now. All that said. If my Disco is dead, there is a pretty high chance of me buying another. I simply love everything about it (well, minus the fact that it might be dead at 77k miles).

Last edited: