weld on vs. bolt on diff gaurds

nickb857

Apr 21, 2004
Las Vegas
I need to get a set of diff guards for my DII and safari gard is having a sale on them but they are weld on only. I just wanted to see if any one has some pros and cons of the two or anythoughs about what to get.

S

Snwbord24

how do you get them off if you have to make trail repairs? Just my plug for bolt ons.

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
for the D2, weld on is the only way to go. those make shift 4 bolt clamp style diff guards are a joke...weld it on and be done with it...or if your really serious, "sewer cap" it.

shane, what are you talking about, "trail repairs"? why would you need to remove a diff guard for a trail repair?

E

Ex CCS Racer

Build your own. This home made one held up on my Jeep. I may have some extras pretty soon..... ;)

p7-1068431281.jpg

S

Snwbord24

What if you blow a diff and need to get in there? Can you still do that with the weld on?

SailorMac

Aug 18, 2004
Shermer, IL
I am attaching alink to East Coast Rovers site, they even recomend tack welding the bolt on diff guards as they may loosen up offroad. Here's what they say...

There are a number of manufactures of diff guards and all work quite well. Most of these units bolt on, but we have seen quite a few fall off on the trail, so we always tack weld them into place. The weld can be easily ground off if you ever need to remove the guard.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/offroad101.html

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
Snwbord24 said:
What if you blow a diff and need to get in there? Can you still do that with the weld on?

yes, you can...take a look at the $G site, the guard welds onto the front of the axle housing. does not affect access at all.

Eric N.

Apr 20, 2004
Falls Church, VA
The only thing that worries me about welding the diff cover on is if you really beat the hell out of it and it pulls a weld it might take part of your housing with it creating a hole.. Though on the flip side the bolt on ones can fall off. I like the bolt on ones just because I find it's easier to clean the packed mud and rocks out of them. But, either one you get a diff guard is a must have in my book.. It was the first thing that I got for my Disco.

S

Snwbord24

Anyone have a picture of it actually installed?

I really like the pinion protection that some bolt on ones offer for the rear which the $G doesn't.

E

Ex CCS Racer

That pics off a Jeep diff. A closer look at the Rover and I'll adapt and overcome. We'll fab something instead of paying ridiculous aftermarket prices.....

S

Snwbord24

Well, $112.50 for front and rear ain't too shabby.

How much do you think it'll cost to get it welded on?

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
nick,

let me clear my comment up for you, the D2 unlike the D1 has a small lip on the front of the axle housing, where a diff guard would attach to. due to this small lip most MFGs went with the 4 bolt clamp style guard. as mentioned above, the bolts come loose and fall out. that is why $G only offers a weld on option...the D1 in comparison has a 1.5" lip, which gives a better area to fasten a guard to, tha caveat is that even with a larger lip, the D1 guards also loosen and fall off.
weld on guards are the best choice. after years of screwing around with clamp style guards, i sewer capped my axles, which is even better than a weld on, but a lot more involved...

get the $G guards and take them to a muffler shop, they will tack the guard on for you for a couple bucks and your done...and best of all, they won't fall off...

Eric N.

Apr 20, 2004
Falls Church, VA
marc olivares said:
SEWER CAP
:D

Ya, I already got the AB bolt ons though and I haven't had one fall off yet. The front can't fall off due to the pan hard rod ( D1 mind you ) and the back one I have wired just incase it does come loose. I've had them for about 6 years now and haven't had an issue with them yet. Plus, I don't have all the fancy toys that you guys got. I just have a humble set of tools and a driveway. ;)

D

Disco Mike

Nick,
have you looked at the QT diff guards, they protect the pumpkin as wel as the lower side of the diff housing and the pinion area?
Mike J.