the most badass RRS

D

D Chapman

well dan if being a rookie means not knowing every thread in every section about everyone here, yeah that is surely me. i just hope one day i can do as you have, you know like you said, keep my truck clean functional and "looking" stock.

You still do not get it, moron. Quit acting like you do. It's not about knowing what's been posted and where. It's about understanding the right and wrong ways to going about your project. You fail to understand what makes Adam's truck trashy. You still think it's "badass". Only a rookie would think that truck is "badass".

i must say, you have done well with the bfg krawlers extending 6" past your cut and flared fenders. nice!

Because I have only one truck, right?

thedude

Sep 10, 2007
D Chapman said:
You still do not get it, moron. Quit acting like you do. It's not about knowing what's been posted and where. It's about understanding the right and wrong ways to going about your project. You fail to understand what makes Adam's truck trashy. You still think it's "badass". Only a rookie would think that truck is "badass".

you have to be the dumbest person i have ever encountered. it is an opinion! it has nothing to do with being or not being a rookie. i like the stance of the truck, the lines are smooth, the fact that it has a winch, and capable. you are treating a subjective matter objectively, you can't be that stupid, RIGHT?

[/quote]Because I have only one truck, right?[/quote]

how the hell would i know? why would i care? the # of trucks you have is irrelevant. are you on med's or something?

Last edited:

RoverDude

Apr 20, 2004
The O.C.
www.roverdude.com
Sinuhe,
I only have one last question. Give me your straightforward opinion of this vehicle with no distracting minutia. Looks like it has decals from ARB, Pelican, Donahue Racing, plus several others I cannot make out.

Attachments

• IMG_4681.JPG
    IMG_4681.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 82

thedude

Sep 10, 2007
john, i think you know the opinions you will receive. i looked at their web page, and i like how they give a review after each different truck they have outfitted.

eliaschristeas

Jul 6, 2006
Beverly HIlls
I'm bummed by this thread. Ive valued dweb for all the people and stories it connected me to. Adams truck may rule, it may not, fair game for a topic. What has tainted a fair question was the judgemet placed as him being a chump. I know a guy who writes a TV show... I hate that show... I hate the acting, I hate the director, I hate the network, but the guy is one of the most decent, honest, caring people I know. Big picture? Life is way too short to spend time being hurtful. Criticism is always welcome, it inspires improvement. But being hurtful is another thing - intentional or not. We are about to go through a tough time as a nation, we need eachother for support. Were all part of the same community. I would hope that we can realize that.....

Last edited:
D

D Chapman

it has nothing to do with being or not being a rookie.

It has everything to do with being rookie.

i like the stance of the truck,

The stance of Adam's truck differs from any other RRS? How so? Please, enlighten me!

the lines are smooth,

Again, how do they differ from a stock RRS?

the fact that it has a winch, and capable.

So, if I purchased a stock RRS, added a winch, would it be "most badass"? What if that winch was a MileMarker or T-Maxx, is that still "badass"?

why would i care? the # of trucks you have is irrelevant. are you on med's or something?

You want to talk about my truck(s) or the trucks I've built or help build? You're the one who started in on my truck. So do you want to talk about it or not? You want me to tell you what a POS that silver truck is? You want me to tell you it's "badass" or something? What was your point on the Krawlers? You want me to be a Krawler spokesperson or something? Or do you want me to tell you straight up, like I've done 100 times over, that the Krawlers are awesome, but a bad idea in a Disco? What do you want to know since you brought my truck into this?

Last edited:
D

D Chapman

eliaschristeas said:
I'm bummed by this thread. Ice valued dweb for all the people and stories it connected me to. Adams truck may rule, it may not, fair game for a topic. What has tainted a fair question was the judgemet placed as him being a chump. I know a guy who writes a TV show... I hate that show.p. I hate the acting, I hate the director, I hate the network, but the guy is one of the most decent, honest, caring people I know. Big. Big picture? Life is way too short to spend time being hurtful. Criticism is sways welcome, it inspires improvement. But being hurtful is another thing - intentional or not.

PMS this week?

thedude

Sep 10, 2007
my point in bringing your truck into the mix is that i think it looks like shit. looks like something you would see some kid drive down the street with simulated bead lock wheels. does it have simulated bead locks? wouldnt surprise me if it does. the point, again, that is just an opinion.

adam has done some reworking of the height sensors and ecu brains to achieve 2" additional to the stock settings.

i never said that the lines were different from any other RRS.

talking still about being a rookie, well...........ah fuck it.

the winch make is up to the individual i suppose. mile markers are very slow, never owned a t-maxx, and warn is what i have now. it is quick and reliable.

now if YOU were to get a RRS, and your disco is a reflection of your taste and style, i am sure i would hate it.

RETROV

thedude said:
my point in bringing your truck into the mix is that i think it looks like shit. looks like something you would see some kid drive down the street with simulated bead lock wheels. does it have simulated bead locks? wouldnt surprise me if it does. the point, again, that is just an opinion.

It looks like shit because he uses it. I saw it at SCARR and it is WELL used. I think there were even splooge stains on the headliner.

thedude

Sep 10, 2007
RETROV said:
It looks like shit because he uses it. I saw it at SCARR and it is WELL used. I think there were even splooge stains on the headliner.

adam spiker uses that RRS. whats your point?

RETROV

thedude said:
adam spiker uses that RRS. whats your point?

Point is it's all in taste. I happen to think the RRS and Chapman's truck both look good in their own ways. I would say Chapman likely takes a little more risks with his D1 than Adam's RRS, thus he has a little :rofl: more trail damage. Actually having one of each would be nice and I am accepting donations. Both are capable trucks. Everybody's got their own style.

NorCal Relics

Dec 18, 2005
THis is a club, remember when you were a kid? Either you joined the club and abide by the club rules, or get bullied by the club. Don't act butthurt when this club takes a shot your truck, they are coming from alot of trail experience to figure out the build that works for them. If a shot is taken at a friend, then I'll pipe in, no matter here, muddy oval, wherever. Again, Adam must be doing something right, he's got the henhouse squawking about stickers, sponsorship, shitty underbody armour, and scouring the net for off roving videos. He must be laughing! Where the hell are you Adam? I'm coming to kick your ass.

On that note...has anybody ever witnessed an actual fist/gun/knife fight resulting from an internet discussion? Nobody ever invites me to one. I figured if anywhere on the net it might be here.

nwoods

Apr 1, 2006
SoCal
www.nextstepdesigns.com
montanablur said:
The Cooper tires are a perfect example. Nwoods didn't go out and buy the tires because he thought they were absolutely the best choice. He bought them because he got a deal on them. "It was my intent to buy BFG AT's next, but I got a deal on the Coopers that I could not pass up. SO I will try them out." So do you want the guy that buys shit because he got a deal or the guy that buys shit because it is in his mind the best choice to make deal or not?

Sinhue, let?s suppose that you are a Canon guy. A decision you made years ago because you feel that Canon was the right tool for your business and best meet your needs at the time. Fast forward a few years. Now let?s say that your trusty old Canon is nearing the end of it?s useful life, and you?ve budgeted to buy a replacement Canon. Now, if Nikon offered you a free D3 to play with and share your thoughts compared to your Canon, would you do it?

To me, running with the Coopers on my truck is basically the same thing. I still have my tire budget set aside for an alternate tire should the Coopers prove unsatisfactory. But honestly, I am genuinely liking them better than my old Canon?er, Nitto's. I don?t need to buy the BFG?s because the Coopers I was given meet my needs quite capably.

Regarding Adam?s truck and sponsorships, I have some familiarity with the subject, and I am friend of Adam?s. He is a marketing guy to the core. That is his job, his passion, and his skill. He is good at it. Does he go overboard? Absolutely! That is what passion means. As a friend, I like to tease him about his marketing jargon and thought processes, but I can?t argue their effectiveness.

In reading your comments, it appears that you have a double standard, or perhaps vaguely defined or evolving standard regarding stickers on trucks. It?s okay for some circumstances, but not for others? If an expedition truck is sporting sponsor logos in exchange for support, it?s okay by you, because it?s a focused application and use of sponsorship?

OffRoving?s business model is to take new Rover owners off pavement to enjoy the capabilities of the vehicle. The type of people interested in this experience are admittedly completely opposite of your highly individualistic, adventurous personality. Not everyone can live your lifestyle, though many wish they could. This desire or wistful notion of ?grand adventure across the Serengeti? is what draws clients to OffRoving.com It?s what made them buy a Land Rover instead of a more urban Lexus or Mercedes. Adam cultivates that spark of adventure through OffRoving. His clients are people that find comfort knowing that the ?adventure? they are going to experience is gauged based on their capabilities. Adam?s business model is to expand people?s comfort zones, not shatter them.

Adam attracts corporate sponsors that tie into the demographic of his clients. His sponsors all relate specifically to his business in some way, and I can testify that he genuinely uses all the products that he allows as sponsors. His sponsors like the coverage they receive. They like the fact that a client with a six or seven figure income will see a clearly branded component on his truck or a product in use.

So in a sense, the exposure a sponsor receives on a one time expedition is similar to the exposure a sponsor receives each weekend Adam hosts an OffRoving event. It is a very focused exposure, and it has it?s purpose.

Please notice, not one negative comment was made about any individual, product, or lifestyle in this post.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
JSQ said:
I'm much more impressed by someone who is so dedicated to their pursuits that they would never compromise them in any way by chaining them to the fortunes and demands of business.

I have far more respect for someone who works long and hard at a real job so that they can go out and do what they love in an unadulterated fashion rather than someone who whores themselves to bankroll their uninspired commercialized exploits.

... I'd whore myself a bit, but who'd pay? ...

It's a fairly deep comment, though. At least, something good came out of this thread.

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
nwoods said:
Sinhue, let?s suppose that you are a Canon guy. A decision you made years ago because you feel that Canon was the right tool for your business and best meet your needs at the time. Fast forward a few years. Now let?s say that your trusty old Canon is nearing the end of it?s useful life, and you?ve budgeted to buy a replacement Canon. Now, if Nikon offered you a free D3 to play with and share your thoughts compared to your Canon, would you do it?

To me, running with the Coopers on my truck is basically the same thing. I still have my tire budget set aside for an alternate tire should the Coopers prove unsatisfactory. But honestly, I am genuinely liking them better than my old Canon?er, Nitto's. I don?t need to buy the BFG?s because the Coopers I was given meet my needs quite capably.

Regarding Adam?s truck and sponsorships, I have some familiarity with the subject, and I am friend of Adam?s. He is a marketing guy to the core. That is his job, his passion, and his skill. He is good at it. Does he go overboard? Absolutely! That is what passion means. As a friend, I like to tease him about his marketing jargon and thought processes, but I can?t argue their effectiveness.

In reading your comments, it appears that you have a double standard, or perhaps vaguely defined or evolving standard regarding stickers on trucks. It?s okay for some circumstances, but not for others? If an expedition truck is sporting sponsor logos in exchange for support, it?s okay by you, because it?s a focused application and use of sponsorship?

OffRoving?s business model is to take new Rover owners off pavement to enjoy the capabilities of the vehicle. The type of people interested in this experience are admittedly completely opposite of your highly individualistic, adventurous personality. Not everyone can live your lifestyle, though many wish they could. This desire or wistful notion of ?grand adventure across the Serengeti? is what draws clients to OffRoving.com It?s what made them buy a Land Rover instead of a more urban Lexus or Mercedes. Adam cultivates that spark of adventure through OffRoving. His clients are people that find comfort knowing that the ?adventure? they are going to experience is gauged based on their capabilities. Adam?s business model is to expand people?s comfort zones, not shatter them.

Adam attracts corporate sponsors that tie into the demographic of his clients. His sponsors all relate specifically to his business in some way, and I can testify that he genuinely uses all the products that he allows as sponsors. His sponsors like the coverage they receive. They like the fact that a client with a six or seven figure income will see a clearly branded component on his truck or a product in use.

So in a sense, the exposure a sponsor receives on a one time expedition is similar to the exposure a sponsor receives each weekend Adam hosts an OffRoving event. It is a very focused exposure, and it has it?s purpose.

Please notice, not one negative comment was made about any individual, product, or lifestyle in this post.

Sounds like Adam might be a marketing badass but his truck is not.

montanablur

Aug 29, 2004
planes, trains and automobiles
RoverDude said:
Sinuhe,
I only have one last question. Give me your straightforward opinion of this vehicle with no distracting minutia. Looks like it has decals from ARB, Pelican, Donahue Racing, plus several others I cannot make out.

It's a hideous Tacoma that the owner recently sold and replaced with a Land Rover D1, a nice white 5-speed, completely unmolested. Scott saw the light and he walked to the light, he was NOT afraid. Still to be determined if he insists on towing that trailer around... Time will tell, but for now he is heading in the right direction.