Countdown to Moab, 2008 LRNR

LiftedFreelander

Oct 2, 2007
Midland, Texas
It's a portable winch that I use in the oil field. It has no problem pulling out a 9,000lb F250 so it won't have a problem with the Freelander if I need it.

Roverlady

Apr 20, 2004
Shenandoah valley
Why in the world did you put Ford Explorer wheels on a Freelander?

Even without the center caps that say FORD they still look like Explorer wheels!!

(Among other questions)

Roverlady

Apr 20, 2004
Shenandoah valley
I know...but I never get to be the mean Dweb person!

Just make sure you have some extra CVs before you wheel that thing. I've heard (and seen) lifted Freelanders eat them up on the trail.

MUSKYMAN said:
but really...wheeling is all about fun and if this guy goes and has fun more power to him.:applause:

While I agree in principle, do you really think the rallye is the place to take a Freelander to wheel? (of course, I wouldn't take a Freelander to the grocery store without a spare engine in the back along with a spare tranny).

One might not need a Defender to wheel and have fun, I'd think the potential for fun would increase exponentially in at the last, a Disco.

As for tires, are A/Ts gonna do well in Moab rocks? I know they aren't particularly appropriate for IN, KY, or MI wheeling.

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
yeah actually I do.

Moab will be fun for him, there are hundreds of miles of fun roads out there that a freelander will work just fine on.

and as far as tires go there are many that will argue that AT's work better then MT's in moab.

hell Irocs are more of a soft AT then a MT if you look at them.

we need to keep in mind what makes us enthusiasts and let some of the snobbery go... I hope this guy has the time of his life.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
ATs should do fine in Moab. But sheesh, I thought my 225's were small.

Just stick with the easy trails. I've taken my Outback out, there are a few easy trails and that is about what the Freelander will do. 3 and 4 trail rating max for that, IMO, even some of these may be pushing it.

Frankly, for the Rally, I would have a lot more fun riding shotgun than driving a Freelander, BUT THAT"S ME.

I agree with Tom, if you've never been, you'll have fun, that's for sure. Just don't break anything.

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
Paul, you really need to get out of the midwest and experience some wheeling other than mud. A/Ts work just fine in Moab. Ask my brother or Marc Olivares.