Power Steering

D

D Chapman

For the second time I've had a high pressure power steering hose blow out. The hose I'm refering to is the high pressure hard line on the steering box, and not the high pressure line running from the pump to the box. I'm not even sure what this hose is called, but I know it's a PITA to find.

Here is a picture of the hose I'm refering to. This picture is from the bottom of the truck looking up at the passengers side of the steering box.

Attachments

• PS 004 (Small) arrow.JPG
    PS 004 (Small) arrow.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 234
D

D Chapman

Now, look at the same picture and notice how the transmission cooler line has fallen and is now rubbing the power steering hose.

Attachments

• PS 004 (Small).jpg
    PS 004 (Small).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 165
D

D Chapman

Here is a shot from the top side.

Attachments

• PS 001 (Small).jpg
    PS 001 (Small).jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 129
D

D Chapman

You would not think that the plastic sheeth covering the transmission cooler line would rub through the hard power steering line.

Think again.

I was an idiot to allow this to happen once. An even bigger idiot to allow it to happen a second time on the same truck.

The pics I'm posting here are from my "new" truck, and I see it's bound to happen there, too.

This past weekend, the line on my "off-road truck" got a hole in it. It was from the rubbing. The hole was tiny - about the size if a needle. But that was enough to loose all my power steering fluid along the way. I removed the line and saw the problem. That was only half the issue, though.

It's not like you can walk into Napa and pull this off the shelf. They did not even have straight hard line in this size I could make a new line from. I was SOL.

So what I did was; I took a knife and opened up the hole, removing all the very thin surface area.
I then crimped the hole shut.
Cleaned everything with degreaser really good.
With a camp stove, I heated the hose and applied flux and acid core solider.
Once cooled, I applied a coat of epoxy - the kind where you mix the two liquids. Much like JB weld.
I then mixed up a second batch of epoxy and cut out a small sliver of coke can. between the two coats of epoxy, I placed the coke can metal to act as a "rebar" and hold shit together.
Let dry for about 45-minutes

I was rocking again.

Attachments

• The Cove 159.jpg
    The Cove 159.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 132
  • The Cove 158.jpg
    The Cove 158.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 110
  • The Cove 160.jpg
    The Cove 160.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 133
D

D Chapman

To fix the problem, loosen the transmission cooler line from the radiator. It's this big nut.
Rotate the line up.
and tighten the nut back down.

This will save you a big headache.

Attachments

• PS 006 (Small).jpg
    PS 006 (Small).jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 130
Jan 26, 2008
In the bunker
I had a rear a/c line leak from rubbing against the left rear spring perch. I took the line off & had the local welding shop weld a patch on it. It was a work of art. The patch is much thicker than the original tubing so other than severe rubbing should not be a problem.
Cost: $32 plus my time & some R-134.

I have had a similar problem, but in my case, it mashed the pipe down. I was able to bend it back and continue on, but it's still weak, no doubt. I've thought about cutting it off and brazing a JIC fitting to it and using a piece of high pressure hydraulic hose.

I had a blinging braided line made for the high pressure line from the pump to the box. The ground braid rubbed against it and eventually wore it through. My cheapie Napa store-fabbed hose has lasted far longer.

Nice trail fix Dan. If you need a replacement, lemme know, I'm sure I can put my hands on one right quick, I'll give it to you in exchange for yours, it's time I lop the ends off one and have JIC fittings brazed on.

PT

ptschram said:
My cheapie Napa store-fabbed hose has lasted far longer.

PT

I know this is an old thread but here I am in rural AZ with a leaking PS HP line. The clowns at NAPA won't even sell me a piece of hydraulic hose. I have my own crimper and ferrules but that don't want to sell the hose because they aren't crimping it on their machine.

Gotta love that paralyzing fear of liability.

Ed Z

Jan 9, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Take about 8 inch length of rubber fuel hose and slit it length wise... Place it over the area the other hose rubs on and secure it with zip ties... I put some grease on the tube first just to help prevent rust between the rubber hose and the tube... Then take another zip tie and secure the hose to the now shielded tubing (preventing the rubbing between em)...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Very inexpensive and works quite well...<o:p></o:p>

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Injuhneer said:
I know this is an old thread but here I am in rural AZ with a leaking PS HP line. The clowns at NAPA won't even sell me a piece of hydraulic hose. I have my own crimper and ferrules but that don't want to sell the hose because they aren't crimping it on their machine.

Gotta love that paralyzing fear of liability.
Sooooo, have NAPA crimp the fittings on too. What's the big deal?

fishEH said:
Sooooo, have NAPA crimp the fittings on too. What's the big deal?
Well so far the list is:
1) The only have Weatherhead fittings with attached ferrules. The machine is a push type swaging machine and can't do a ferrule crimp.
2) My ferrules are from an "unknown source" (McMaster-Carr)
3) They don't know if the hose is rated properly for the application (yes, showed the specs from the manual).

If anyone hears a scream from SE AZ it is probably me.

I ordered some AN line from a speed shop (the local guy didn't have any). So I hope the hose doesn't blow before the new hose arrives.

I can't buy simple parts. Everything has to be ordered. I can't buy stuff on hand because they can't find the reference in a parts book. The hippies and conservationists have locked up much of the land down here. A lot of the trails we can drive are often blocked. The same hippies/conservationists/horsemen go up the trails and put huge piles of rock in the way to block them. I just drive over but still...

I guess the point is; I think I am ready to move to to an OHV friendly area like Moab.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
There's got to be a speed shop or a hydraulics shop somewhere local that will sell you a piece. That or just order a new one from Will, PT, or AB. How is it you jave all the fittings and crimper but no hose? Someplace online has got to sell it buy the foot.

fishEH said:
There's got to be a speed shop or a hydraulics shop somewhere local that will sell you a piece. That or just order a new one from Will, PT, or AB. How is it you jave all the fittings and crimper but no hose? Someplace online has got to sell it buy the foot.

Locally called auto, truck, RV, Ag, and the local speed shop. All he had on hand was some AN-8 line. No fittings, no swaging capability.

This is a remote town about a mile from Mexico. Tucson is 88 miles away. I already ordered hose. It will be here in a few days. I was trying to avoid that "few days" part without driving 175 miles round trip to a shop in Tucson.

I have the crimper because I make AC and hydraulic lines on occasion (Citroens). Non of the barrier hose I have on hand is rated high enough, and others are too large. I have ferrules because they come in bags of 5 or more (5,20,50).

Next time I'll have it on hand.

Maybe I should have said,"Ford". Then it would not have been a problem.