relationship between crank sensor and fuel pump?

Plain2000DII

Feb 27, 2005
Nazareth, PA
relationship between crank sensor and fuel pump? ALL FIXED !!!

It's been so long since I've had to post a Q here I almost feel like a newbie. My wifes D2 has been trouble free for years, until this morning. Just had the truck PA state inspected all was OK. This am it would crank very strong but show no signs of firing up. The only code was a P1416, relating to the SAI pump which is on its way out again, but I don't think that alone would cause a "no start" situation. After spending some time here it seems like if the ckps went bad overnight(?) that would cause the fuel pump to not run?, as I don't hear it running in the "prime" mode in pos2?

So, I'm I on the right track here, replace the ckps?

as always this bbs has been a great help, thanks in advance

Last edited:

Plain2000DII

Feb 27, 2005
Nazareth, PA
I tried reseting the fuel cut off sw. with the ing. on. No change.

Is true that a bad /failed crank position sensor will not allow the ECU to turn on the fuel pump? I'm really leaning this way but could use a little validation on my conclusion

2000 Disco 2 w/ @130K on the ticker.

Last edited:

Plain2000DII

Feb 27, 2005
Nazareth, PA
Thanks Beetle... I yanked the ckps out today, pretty easy stuff, I'll get a new one from rover- install and let ya know the results, he said with hope of an easy fix....

note to self-remember to post the pics for everyone to see

Plain2000DII

Feb 27, 2005
Nazareth, PA
yep on the cheaper ones, but its all about getting one in asap, none of my local parts houses have one the shelf, haven't spoke the dealer yet but hopeful they have one and I can git-r-done monday. The way I see it is it'll be a ton cheaper than a tow job to L/R dealer and their ridiculus labor rates. plus the wifey is all happy again :D

Plain2000DII

Feb 27, 2005
Nazareth, PA
Yippee!!! Bolted up the crank position sensor and BINGO, she fired right up! Thanks to Beetle for encouragement... and you were right'bout the price, $130.00 from stealer

The new sensor came with the alum. spacer/mount and the probe was a couple mics shorter than the original but seems to work a-ok. Actually it seems to run better than B-4 or it could be I was just giddy with relief :applause:

Next onto the pass. side elec. window that seems to be off the track or something :(

Last edited:

Plain2000DII

Feb 27, 2005
Nazareth, PA
OK then, promised some pics. here goes.* change out is really very easy, I'll add that it is easier to plug and unplug sensor after its out. To locate sensor, crawl under drivers side, look up over exhaust pipe on the front of the flywheel housing. Rover P/N - ERR 7354, parts guy had it listed as a "cam sensor" ?

Attachments

• 101_1329 thumb.jpg
    101_1329 thumb.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 101_1331 thumb.jpg
    101_1331 thumb.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited: