Instrument cluster switches

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
How do I replace the lights in the switchs located around the instrument cluster? Vol. up, Vol. down, rear wiper, etc. I've got the bulbs, is there a trick to getting the switches out withoutbreaking them?

cjw

Feb 15, 2007
Victoria, BC, Canada
So... I just replaced all but one of these lights. Radioshack (The Source in Canada) had tiny little 12V bulbs that are clear and will fit in the black plastic holder. After I had about half of them done, I discovered that the OEM "green" bulb is actually a clear bulb with a little green condom on it. You can slip it off with your thumbnail and push it onto the new bulbs - it's all a little fiddly but saved buying little light bulb assemblies from the dealer. I'll go out on a limb and guess the dealership wants more than radioshack did.

The truck has gotten too reliable when I'm rebuilding the "volume up" switch light assembly.

cjw

cjw

Feb 15, 2007
Victoria, BC, Canada
A package of 2 was $4 CAN... I checked AB's site first, but by the time I ship them to Canada it was about twice as much and I would have to wait. I don't mind the little bit of extra work to swap the bare bulb into the holder, it only takes a minute.

Since I'm on a roll, I noticed the that AC button has lost it's back light too. It doesn't look as straightforward to get out (there isn't a good way to grip). Anybody know how THEY come out (though the front, through the back, not removeable)? I have one bulb left over, you see...

cjw