Rusty ass

lunchbox

Apr 20, 2004
St Louis, MO
So, I pulled out the carpet in the trunk of my D1 to start work on my new cargo area storage. Needless to say, I found a butt load of rust. At least 1/3 of the seam between the center floor and the body was rusted through. The rest was showing tons of surface rust. I figured it would be dumb to build a nice new cargo area on top of a bunch of rust. I decided to replace the bad metal. I started by drilling out the spot welds. Unfortunately a good portion was too rusted to save. I ended up having to cut the whole thing out, including the supports. I then picked up a sheet of .78 galvanized steel. I had it cut to fit and then bent a 1/4in lip on one end. The bent end will be towards the rear of the truck because I had to cut the lip that the original sheet was spot welded to all the way around. I made my cut at the high point of the floor. The rear most lip is 1/4 lower. As of this moment I have it all in place and tacked in a couple places. I'm going to finish welding it in tomorrow morning. I'm going to seam seal it, then cover it with Dynamat before building my new storage. I also had to move the brake hard lines because they originally ran through one of the floor supports. They now terminate on the passenger side frame rail.

Attachments

• Rust hole.JPG
    Rust hole.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Spot welds 2.JPG
    Spot welds 2.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 156
  • All gone.JPG
    All gone.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 185

lunchbox

Apr 20, 2004
St Louis, MO
more...

The first pic is the original floor leaning up against a wall. You can see how much rust there was.

Attachments

• original sheet.JPG
    original sheet.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 157
  • All gone 2.JPG
    All gone 2.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 125
  • In place.JPG
    In place.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Roving Beetle

Oooo pretty new metal! :)

You may know to be careful welding the galvi plated metal - but just a heads up if not, the fumes are nasty and can mess you up.

I hope you sealed the hell out of stuff with por15 or something before you covered it back over? Always nice to see an older truck get some new metal to breath a little new life into her!

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
Speaking of rusty asses...

My cargo area doesn't look too bad. But the area where my body mounts meet up with the frame is almost gone. My rear is sagging a good 1-2" because of this. Anybody have a good solution?

Roving Beetle

Lake_Bueller said:
Speaking of rusty asses...

My cargo area doesn't look too bad. But the area where my body mounts meet up with the frame is almost gone. My rear is sagging a good 1-2" because of this. Anybody have a good solution?

A pressure treated 2x4 is 1.5 inches so it's probably just right. Use a big hammer to pound it in there - done. :cool:

lunchbox

Apr 20, 2004
St Louis, MO
Progress: welded in, fuel pump access cut out, POR15. Next is to seal the seams then apply the Dynamat.

Attachments

• welds.JPG
    welds.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 98
  • fuel cut out.JPG
    fuel cut out.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Por welds.JPG
    Por welds.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 90

lunchbox

Apr 20, 2004
St Louis, MO
Roving Beetle said:
Skip the Dynamat - Grace Ice and Water Shield is far far cheaper and works about as well. For real. :)

Me = Cheeeep-ass.

I've been using Dynamat since the early 90s in car audlio applications. I swear by it. The doors and pillars are already done. I'm pretty loyal to the brand. But I also only use yellow tops, so I'm a bit of a dipshit.

Roving Beetle

lunchbox said:
I've been using Dynamat since the early 90s in car audlio applications. I swear by it. The doors and pillars are already done. I'm pretty loyal to the brand. But I also only use yellow tops, so I'm a bit of a dipshit.

:rofl: I love the last line. :D

No worries - it's a good product, just letting you know that the I&WS works extremely well for a cheaper alternative. I once did the entire tub of an old Heep CJ7 - HUGE difference in the noise and comfort of the truck for almost no $$. I swear by it, I'm pretty loyal to the brand LOL .... but I am also a bit of a dipshit for several reasons!

lunchbox

Apr 20, 2004
St Louis, MO
Seams sealed. Dynamat started...

Attachments

• dynamat1.JPG
    dynamat1.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 65
  • dynamat2.JPG
    dynamat2.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 57
  • seamseal.JPG
    seamseal.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 53

lunchbox

Apr 20, 2004
St Louis, MO
While I was at it I put some mat behind the speakers too. I also filled the pillar with polyfill behind the MB Quart 5.25.

Attachments

• mbquart.JPG
    mbquart.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 34
  • polyfill.JPG
    polyfill.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 40
  • dynamatpillar.JPG
    dynamatpillar.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 45

lunchbox

Apr 20, 2004
St Louis, MO
I finally got to work on the trunk some more today. I've spent the last few days replacing gaskets up front. I picked up some indoor/outdoor carpet and playground pad at Lowe's. I used the old carpet as a template to cut out the new goodies. I also got the seat belts bolted back in and the seats back. Next I'm going to start on a storage set up. (which is how all this BS started)

Attachments

• carpet in place.JPG
    carpet in place.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 49
  • carpet template.JPG
    carpet template.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 58
  • padding in place.JPG
    padding in place.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 58