Apple iPad in Disco

DiscoNomad

Dec 11, 2005
Napa, CA
www.disconomad.com
Hey guys,

I thought I would share what I've been up to lately. As soon as I heard rumors about the iPad I knew that it would replace the Mac mini I have in my disco. I wanted to build a modular system that would be extremely durable but low profile and not detract from the device itself. Anyway the build process was pretty fun since I got to involve a computerized mill and do some hand metal shaping. It's proving to be a great tool to have with even more usable functionality then the mac mini.

Check it out

Christian

DiscoNomad

Dec 11, 2005
Napa, CA
www.disconomad.com
Rugbier said:
is that topo Google map or did you jailbrake it and loaded a Topo program?

That's Google Maps but there are loads of awesome mapping applications that overlay weather data on topo, map trails, export files, etc. This is a great platform for these kind of activities and the apps are only getting better and more plentiful.

jhmover

Apr 23, 2004
California
I'm waitng for an Android based tablet. Not knocking Apple. I have been very impressed with what my Droid phone can do and it's only getting better with the apps. Even has Google Earth on it. I was going to mount my netbook in the Disco then I got this phone and said why bother. I can about run my busniess with my cell phone when I"m out of town. I even put an app on yesterday where I can access my PC at the office from the phone and do stuff on it.

I think these little jewels will soon obsolete things like laptops, GPS, PC's. With cloud computing that makes it all the better. I already keep a lot of things I use for my business online at Google.docs don't even need much of a hard drive with that going.

brianhoberg

Apr 16, 2007
San Antonio, TX
www.brianhoberg.com
jhmover said:
I'm waitng for an Android based tablet. Not knocking Apple. I have been very impressed with what my Droid phone can do and it's only getting better with the apps. Even has Google Earth on it. I was going to mount my netbook in the Disco then I got this phone and said why bother. I can about run my busniess with my cell phone when I"m out of town. I even put an app on yesterday where I can access my PC at the office from the phone and do stuff on it.

I think these little jewels will soon obsolete things like laptops, GPS, PC's. With cloud computing that makes it all the better. I already keep a lot of things I use for my business online at Google.docs don't even need much of a hard drive with that going.

im with you, thee's a world outside of apple lol

DiscoNomad

Dec 11, 2005
Napa, CA
www.disconomad.com
rovercanus said:
Why do you have a gps if you have a computer in your truck?

The Garmin has differential GPS which is very accurate. The iPad doesn't support external gps yet although there is a project getting ready for this using Bluetooth Garmin products. It's a great platform and the apps are just amazing...you think of it and boom you find out it's been done even better and it cost $.99. I'm very happy with the set up...far more then trying to run a desktop level OS.

WHB

Apr 21, 2010
Boston, MA
This is the only scenario I can think of in which the iPad works better than an iPhone or Computer. Very nice machining work on the bracket.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I saw one of those things in Best Buy. All I could get it to do for a while is flip the screen when I rotated it. Then, I stood back and waited for someone else to come along and operate it. When they were done, it was left on a map screen. It worked pretty well for moving the map around, but again, I just couldn't manage to use it all that well.

I've got a Toughbook anyway. It has a touch screen that works most of the time for me.

For some reason, these new glass type touch screens don't respond to me very reliably. Every now and again, the work, but for the most part, I can drag and poke it all I want, and it just doesn't work properly. Then, someone else comes up and it works like a charm.

The iPad was better, but as inventive as it was, I'd rather have my computer to run actual programs.

It's neat to mount it in a car, though. That thought crossed my mind for about a second and a half. Then, I realized I have that Toughbook, and that Apple bugs the hell out of me, and that I'd drop that iPad all the time, because it was made for people with nancy hands, narrow shoulders, and man-purses. It's just too round and slippery, and too damn thin for me. It needs a rubber back with a thick rib around the edges, or something.

Hell, I can't even keep hold of my cell phone half the time. The smallest I was ever willing to go was a Startac. I'd like to have my old Startac back.

Good show on the installation though. It's not where I would have put it, but it's a damn nice job of putting it there.

All in all, I'm just too much of a cro-mag to use it, and glass touch screens don't like my un-evolved DNA. They may get better, though. I'm not a huge fan of this "app" idea, either. I just want to pay my 50 bucks and get a full-on program.

Cheers,

Kennith