SAE September 16-18, 2011

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
The 2011 Southern Appalachian Expedition will be held at Crawford's Campground near Murphy, NC September 16-18, 2011. Crawford's at Tellico

Crawford's is only seventeen miles further from Beasley Knob than last year's event location. They are 4WD focused and we are happy to host the event at their facility.

Hosted each year by SoLaRoS, SAE auctions and raffles have raised over $60,000 for charity. Last year our biggest donation yet was made to the Habitat for Humanity of Towns/Union County. The final total raised was $10,000.

The website for the event will be up and running shortly. Watch this thread for updates.

We hope to see you there!

Last edited:

leeawalden

Feb 21, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'm feeling it in September. I did like that November weekend because it wasn't a huge football weekend. But at least it won't be cold. If I still have the rover I'll be towing it down there.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
won't be able to make it unfortunately. i'll be making the trip to Tallahassee that weekend for the Oklahoma v. Florida State game

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
bribassguy said:
Awesome... That should be a great weekend to be in the mountains... hoping to see some great fall colour.

It may still be too warm for the leaves to start turning.

Unless this is the Fall color that you meant:

Pics from Jack W.'s Smugmug page.

stevenr

Apr 19, 2004
Cleveland, TN
web.mac.com
Yea, the leaves don't start changing until late, late October, early November.

Maybe I can make it this year... Try to break that "6 years since last time I attended an SAE" thing I happen to have going on.

1988RRC

'6 years'............man where have you been; you missed some great events, not to mention the auction that raised $$$$$$$$ for local charity.

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Not yet. We're in the midst of updating the regular club site as well. Stay tuned and thanks for the interest.

Last edited:

Rover_Hokie

Jun 7, 2008
Roanoke Valley, VA
Stu,

I am hoping to make is as well for my first SAE event. Waiting on some repairs and scheduling with family. Depending on who may end up with me I may end up in a cabin. I assume there is a group camp area or some area you may have reserved for the event, how does the location of the cabins relate to where SAE groups will be?

Last edited:

mdeane

Sep 10, 2010
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
if my rover isn't fixed in time (t-case/transmission grinding bullcrap) would I be able to drive my mustang up and just camp and ride with yall? New to the Rover society, already obsessed, and have never been to an SAE before.

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Tony, I'm not sure as I've never been to the camp myself. My understanding is that we have the whole property to ourselves (or at any rate most of it).

mdeane, that should be just fine. There are almost always spare seats for any rides.

JackW

Mar 17, 2005
Stu is correct - we'll have the entire campground - see site map here:

http://www.crawfordsattellico.com/page14.html

The cabins will be reserved early so don't wait long but lots of camping room is available.

There will always be plenty of empty seats for folks who don't (or can't) want to drive their Rovers for any reason.

I'll be bringing my own little "cabin"...

Last edited: