Sources for aftermarket (full circle) camshaft retaining plate stateside?

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
we've put a couple of those in d1's, i think we got them from rovers north. the dealer used to sell them. it keeps the cam from walking back and forth, since apparently nobody in the rover world will cut and harden a cam to spin the tappets and drive the cam to the back of the motor. the 'cam button' approach, to the the timing chain cover was a joke, the plate is way better.

juha_teuvonnen

Aug 23, 2009
seventyfive said:
we've put a couple of those in d1's, i think we got them from rovers north. the dealer used to sell them. it keeps the cam from walking back and forth, since apparently nobody in the rover world will cut and harden a cam to spin the tappets and drive the cam to the back of the motor. the 'cam button' approach, to the the timing chain cover was a joke, the plate is way better.

I'll give Rovers North a call, and also some of my regular suppliers. Let me tell you what happens with aftermarket Crower cam, no retaining plate and aftermarket sprockets and chain:

1. Cam walks, and it walks enough to score the front cover and the cam sensor (I'll post pics tonight)

2. The engine starts having intermittent oil pressure problems. Looks totally like a faulty oil pressure sending unit. If the cam is in the right place, the oil pressure is ok and life is good. If the cam moves forward for any reason, say after an abrupt stop, the oil pressure drops, the low oil pressure light goes on, the lifters start knocking (not enough oil). After a 20 seconds or so the cam jumps back into place, the oil pressure goes up and life is good again.

Figuring this sort of intermittent failure will drive you nuts, I guarantee it.