2012 DWeb Utah Trip

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
It's been quite a while since a bunch of random DWeb people got together and drove across the country to take an ambitious trip in the Utah desert. In light of this, I'm organizing a trip for this coming spring and I want to invite anybody who is interested to come along. The idea is simple: five to seven days of cross-country wheeling, dutch oven cookouts, hiking, beer-drinking and shit-talking.

I'm thinking that we would try to hit the mild springtime weather, either the last week of March or first week of April, but that's open for discussion. If you can't do the whole week and want to come out for a couple of days, we can work it out.

The route would likely take us across the central southern portion of the state--perhaps something like Monticello to Escalante by way of Cedar Mesa and Lake Powell. I'll take responsibility for putting together a vague route plan and securing the necessary BLM permits; the actual route taken will depend on who shows up, truck capability, driver skill, etc.

The trip will be laissez-faire. No hard itinerary, no meal plan, etc. All are welcome.

Last edited:

jrose609

Feb 10, 2009
Boise, ID
chris snell said:
It's been quite a while since a bunch of random DWeb people got together and drove across the country to take an ambitious trip in the Utah desert. In light of this, I'm organizing a trip for this coming spring and I want to invite anybody who is interested to come along. The idea is simple: five to seven days of cross-country wheeling, dutch oven cookouts, hiking, beer-drinking and shit-taking.

The trip will be laissez-faire. No hard itinerary, no meal plan, etc. All are welcome.

Shit-taking or shit-talking?

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
always interested , and this is the traditional time. Not sure if this fall on the anniversary of Jesus's rise from the dead , but that can be a crowded time because of the jeep safari, so watch out for that.

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
Looks like Easter is at the end of the first week of April and EJS isn't until the 16th.

I hope that some East Coast people will make the journey. That would be sweet.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
If you'd do it at the beginning of March(9-18) I would consider doing this for my spring break

Jake1996D1

Mar 28, 2011
West Des Moines IA
chris snell said:
Looks like Easter is at the end of the first week of April and EJS isn't until the 16th.

I hope that some East Coast people will make the journey. That would be sweet.

I would totally come out. A couple guys at ROTR were plaing with the idea of shipping trucks across country and flying in for nat. rally... It would be a lot cheaper than gas and cut back on a ton of wasted days traveling on pavement. Oh and wouldnt have to worry about making it home lol

It would be awesome if my GF and I could fly out and ride a long.. or better yet if somebody had a loaner haha. We were thinking about making a west coast trip anyway..

Last edited:

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
It's probably obvious to most, but this kind of trip is a lot different from a trip to the National Rally. The trails are long and rough, it's incredibly dusty, and we'll be a long way from the nearest commercial airport or fancy hotel. I don't want to say "it's a guys' trip" but it's tough living out there and whoever you bring will need a good attitude for these sorts of things. Kids are definitely not advised. Also keep in mind that dogs are not allowed in some areas.

You don't need a five inch lift, a RTT, six fuel cans, or 37" tires. It's more important to have a truck that runs well and that's maintained. As a minimum, you'll want solid recovery points front and rear.

For planning purposes, plan on at least 700 miles worth of gas on the trail, plus whatever it takes for you to get there.

As for dates, we could do March 20-26th but I'd rather not shift it any earlier than that, to allow everyone enough time to plan and get their trucks in order.

Early/Mid March is a toss-up in terms of weather. It could be beautiful or it could be cold and snowy. The high spots (Elk Ridge, etc.) may very well still be under snowpack. It's tough to say, but I think we'd be ok.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
chris snell said:
For planning purposes, plan on at least 700 miles worth of gas on the trail, plus whatever it takes for you to get there.
Do you mean 700 miles between fill ups or just total trail miles? Do you recommend jerry cans and if so how many? It's doubtful I can make it, though. Forgot I've got a family vaca planned for Spring Break.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
fishEH said:
Do you mean 700 miles between fill ups or just total trail miles? Do you recommend jerry cans and if so how many? It's doubtful I can make it, though. Forgot I've got a family vaca planned for Spring Break.
I think he meant 700 highway miles' worth of gas. Trails like Hole In the Rock are long and not very fast.
My mom turns 70 in the first week of April - I wanted to take her to Provence. If that falls apart, any time's good for me.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
I'm interested as well but our 5-year anniversary is end of March. I'll either be on a beach or somewhere in Europe that last week of March and possibly into the first few days of April. But I can always quick drive up for a long weekend if the dates end up working out.

lynchee

Jun 21, 2006
Goffstown, NH
Good timing. I have been talking to some friends around here about making the drive out. I went on my honeymoon out there this summer/fall. What an incredible place.
I'll be following the thread

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
Let's keep the date fairly open at this point. Mid-March all the way through Mid/late April are all possibilities. I'd rather stretch the date and have a good group.

I'm thinking that five days would be the ideal length. Probably something like Thursday through Monday.