SG 3-link install

Jake1996D1

Mar 28, 2011
West Des Moines IA
img_1310.jpg

Got my 3-link - slaped it together on the floor for fun, exctied to get it on the truck and play around with it.

Any first hand advice on install? Gonna put it in as soon as I get gears in the front diff

Jake1996D1

Mar 28, 2011
West Des Moines IA
ptschram said:
It will not fit.

Be prepared to have to work with the track rod protector to get it to fit the axle. A hydraulic "Porta-Power" will come in handy.

They NEVER fit.

So I have heard, I will be setting aside a whole Saturday for the install. Plan on letting the axle hang will installing track rod guard, then attaching upper links than cross member and jack up/adjust pinion as needed.

Jake1996D1

Mar 28, 2011
West Des Moines IA
NikeCheck246 said:
I heard horror stories from Denny about the one he was putting on his Range Rover...just saying...

HAHA FUCK that might be the same one hahahahaha

He told me it wasnt easy and took hours but they eventually got it on.

hilltoppersx

Jun 29, 2010
NY
www.nelrc.com
NikeCheck246 said:
I heard horror stories from Denny about the one he was putting on his Range Rover...just saying...

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

that's the one Jake bought...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Do not let the axle hang.

First step, drill/tap the third member. It's easy, that stuff machines like warm butter.

With the axle on jack stands, remove your radius arms. Loosely run the bolts into the third member. Put the porta-power in between the two vertical pieces that mate to the axle and gently spread them apart enough to get them in place. Loosely insert the bolts. note-you're ahead of the game with a used one, when new, the bolts holes aren't round and are not big enough.

Once you get it loosely in place, offer up the new radius arms,loosely fasten them and finish putting the rest of the bits in place.

Adjusting the pinion is easy enough.

I strongly suggest new hardware-all of it!

Jake1996D1

Mar 28, 2011
West Des Moines IA
ptschram said:
Do not let the axle hang.

First step, drill/tap the third member. It's easy, that stuff machines like warm butter.

With the axle on jack stands, remove your radius arms. Loosely run the bolts into the third member. Put the porta-power in between the two vertical pieces that mate to the axle and gently spread them apart enough to get them in place. Loosely insert the bolts. note-you're ahead of the game with a used one, when new, the bolts holes aren't round and are not big enough.

Once you get it loosely in place, offer up the new radius arms,loosely fasten them and finish putting the rest of the bits in place.

Adjusting the pinion is easy enough.

I strongly suggest new hardware-all of it!

Thanks I always use new hardware on suspension stuff. I'm gonna dry fit it first see how it lines up then I'll see what size to drill and tap diff. Denny or whoever before him drilled out track rod guards diff holes already.

Jake1996D1 said:
Thanks I always use new hardware on suspension stuff. I'm gonna dry fit it first see how it lines up then I'll see what size to drill and tap diff. Denny or whoever before him drilled out track rod guards diff holes already.

Did you get the diff from Denny as well?

If not, you will need to drill/tap the holes the where dampener bolts to the third member. 7/16-14.

Dry fit? WHY?

Be prepared and do it once.

Jake1996D1

Mar 28, 2011
West Des Moines IA
ptschram said:
Did you get the diff from Denny as well?

If not, you will need to drill/tap the holes the where dampener bolts to the third member. 7/16-14.

Dry fit? WHY?

Be prepared and do it once.

No they are my diffs, I will drill them and tap them while I have it out. Only thing I was worried about is the new bolts being too big and then having to drill out the track rod guard even more. which isnt a huge deal either I guess. Thanks for the advise!

Jake1996D1 said:
No they are my diffs, I will drill them and tap them while I have it out. Only thing I was worried about is the new bolts being too big and then having to drill out the track rod guard even more. which isnt a huge deal either I guess. Thanks for the advise!

Bolt the track rod guard in place and then drill/tap. Use the track rod guard as the guide for your drilling/tapping.