Discovery on two post lift

jafir

May 4, 2011
Northwest Arkansas
So a friend of mine just got a two post lift in the shop on his property. The lift came with a book the shows lifting points on most vehicles. On the section for the land rovers it says not to use a two post lift and that it might not be safe for the discovery. Does anyone know why that would be? Has anyone used a two post lift with a discovery?

Jan 26, 2008
In the bunker
I'd give my left cajone for ceiling room for a two-post lift. I have put a lot of vehicles in the air on a lot of different hoists. A late 90s 1-ton extended-cab dually Chevy truck is a scary vehicle to hoist. I can't imagine a full-frame Disco being a problem.

clarkwjackson

Oct 22, 2007
UT
I've lifted mine on the radius arms tons of times, and on the knuckles they connect to. It does make a kinda bouncy/tippy lifting point. I do tires etc that way, I wouldn't get under it without stands. I have been working a way to make this drive over lift I just got work.

Long Haul

May 27, 2010
Lancaster Pa
Make sure the arms lock into place where ever you put them on the frame or bad shit happens.

7dc77be3.jpg

Best place I found is on the frame itself. I had the pads under the radius arm mounts when that happend

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
We usually go to the rear trailing/frame and just behind the radius arm on the frame for the front. You can use a two post no problem. Just need to get it even between the posts and have enough reach on the arms asd it's balanced you're fine. Just take your time to get it right.

roverover

Feb 27, 2005
Lancaster PA
www.UsedLandRoverParts.com
I have a Rotary isometric and I am getting rid of it for a symetrical one I find the front arms too short if you don't get the truck perfectly centered, especially on a Disco

Would love to have the space for a 4 post and yes make sure it has the arm locks as it is hard to get onto a LR frame where it is flat and if it starts to slide you will get a similar result as Brian....if you're lucky

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
I have a 2 post lift in my shop and it's no problem getting my D2 up in the air. Just take your time and do it right like Garrett mentioned.

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
I use a 2 post quite often, too bad you didnt post this last week when I did my oil.

I make sure that the pads, if your lift has pads, are all the way up. This clears the suspension on stock trucks, not sure about lifted ones.

After that I make sure things are lined up so the pads are resting on flat parts of the frame, and up she goes.

I may have my D1 up on monday to find a mystery "thunk", I will try to remember to take pictures of where the pads go. It usually takes a few tries and me running around the truck to make sure everything is lined up properly.

I worked at a garage as a kid and saw a suburban fall off a lift, dont what that to happen with one of my trucks....

If all you have are the metal flip up tabs on your lift, I dont know what to tell ya about that one.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I pick up discoII all the time on a two post lift. No way I work on a discoI or a Defender on a two poster. any body remember the Danish lifts Land Rover put in all the original centers, Steinho or something like that. That was the best lift I ever worked on.

Last edited:

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
Here is where I place the pads. It takes a bit of work, if your by your self you will be running from one side to the other, raising it little by little, to make sure that the pads hit right. Its a bit tight, but if my knuckle dragging dumb ass can do it, anyone can.

This is on the d2

Passengers side front:
IMG_0416.jpg

Drivers side front:
IMG_0413.jpg

Passenger rear:
IMG_0415.jpg

Drivers rear:
IMG_0414.jpg

NikeCheck246

Jun 29, 2008
Asheville, NC
Long Haul said:
Make sure the arms lock into place where ever you put them on the frame or bad shit happens.

7dc77be3.jpg

Best place I found is on the frame itself. I had the pads under the radius arm mounts when that happend
Did the truck slide all the way back and off? That sucks something awful. We have 5 lifts at work, but we have a single hydraulic cylinder lift and a 4-post that I put my truck on...tried once to put it on one of our two posts, no way

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
NikeCheck246 said:
Did the truck slide all the way back and off? That sucks something awful. We have 5 lifts at work, but we have a single hydraulic cylinder lift and a 4-post that I put my truck on...tried once to put it on one of our two posts, no way

The more I look at that, the more I wonder how the two arms got together like that. Weird.

cosmic88

Sep 15, 2010
Florida
Looks like it slid backwards and then got lowered...

Two posters make me nervous only when there's some nut breakin going on and the vehicle starts rocking... could that be the case above?? :cool:

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I tried to put my D2 on a 2 post this past Saturday. We got it up about a foot of the ground, It started leaning to one side. I didnt feel comfortable where the feet were placed So I just put it down and worked on it from the ground.