Rotors for Defender calipers

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Got some D90 calipers for free, just need to rebuild the pistons/seal. Are the drilled/slotted rotors worth the extra cash over the solids? I have solid rotors on my D1 now FWIW.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
So it would appear these are 110 calipers. D90 and 110 calipers are the same, except D90 have a spacer between the halves allowing the use of a vented rotor. Right? The gap for the rotor is 11/16".
Is it worth it to rebuild 110 calipers for use on my D1? I am thinking yes because it uses larger pads and larger pots.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Any idea where to get those spacers? GBR maybe? I figure I'll check them out and see what the cost is. Trying to keep this low budget though since the calipers were free. Otherwise I would have just called Will.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
sven said:
The whole point of the D90 brake upgrade is to be able to fit the vented rotors.
Yeah, I thought it was also that the D90 pads were larger(greater surface area) and the pots(piston cups) were larger/had more force. No?

benlittle

Jul 18, 2005
Draper
fishEH said:
Yeah, I thought it was also that the D90 pads were larger(greater surface area) and the pots(piston cups) were larger/had more force. No?

Yes. The whole point is the calipers are larger, more surface. That being said, why stop short and not do bling slotted drilled rotors?

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
benlittle said:
Yes. The whole point is the calipers are larger, more surface. That being said, why stop short and not do bling slotted drilled rotors?
And that was my original question. Are the drilled/slotted worth the extra cash? I've gotten conflicting answers.
Then I realized my calipers are actually 110 and cannot fit the vented rotors. So I'm in the process of weighing the cost to benefit of this little endeavor with the free calipers.

Durt D1ver

Jan 14, 2008
Jersey Shore
Slotted and drilled rotors have less surface area, and don't brake as well as blank vented rotors. The slots and drill holes are there to dissipate heat under long periods of braking. Unless you have problems with brake fade, or tow a 5k trailer on a regular basis in the mountains, they don't justify the increased costs.

jafir

May 4, 2011
Northwest Arkansas
fishEH said:
So it would appear these are 110 calipers. D90 and 110 calipers are the same, except D90 have a spacer between the halves allowing the use of a vented rotor. Right?

I think either the 90 or the 110 could have come with either solid discs or vented discs.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Durt D1ver said:
Slotted and drilled rotors have less surface area, and don't brake as well as blank vented rotors. The slots and drill holes are there to dissipate heat under long periods of braking. Unless you have problems with brake fade, or tow a 5k trailer on a regular basis in the mountains, they don't justify the increased costs.
Thank you, that makes sense. I have no issues braking now. If I'm in the mountains or on a long decent I just drop it down a gear or two.
I think I'll keep this as simple as possible. Two piston/seal rebuild kits. When my current D1 pads wear out I'll throw on the D110 calipers along with the free set of cheap Mintex pads I got. After that wears out I'll consider adding the spacers and vented rotors.
Thanks guys, helps me to think outloud sometimes.

benlittle

Jul 18, 2005
Draper
GBR does sell the spacers.

I've had the D90 cals with slotted/ drilled rotors for about 4 years now and it's the cats ass. Providing the rest of your braking system is up to par.

Anyone who says you won't get brake fade without towing a trailer or going down a hill has no clue. Try driving in the desert for a day with constant braking.

Durt D1ver

Jan 14, 2008
Jersey Shore
benlittle said:
GBR does sell the spacers.

I've had the D90 cals with slotted/ drilled rotors for about 4 years now and it's the cats ass. Providing the rest of your braking system is up to par.

Anyone who says you won't get brake fade without towing a trailer or going down a hill has no clue. Try driving in the desert for a day with constant braking.

I live in NJ, there's no desert within 2,000 miles, so sorry for neglecting that point.

sven said:
The whole point of the D90 brake upgrade is to be able to fit the vented rotors.

No, it's not.

The Defender calipers have much larger pistons and much larger pads.

Personally, I do not see any advantage whatsoever to the vented rotors.

As soon as they are off back-order, I'll have these 110 calipers available for sale.

New calipers, hardware and pads should be somewhere in the $285 range, shipped CONUS but will be dependent upon availability and exchange rate fluctuations.

In the meantime Brett, if you want a rebuild kit, I can have one for you sometime late next week. Those calipers require a different rebuild kit from the Disco/RRC.