Older Warn 8274, can deliver to the wilds this weekend

ItsNotAJeepThing

Oct 13, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
still for sale, read my last post (now cheaper!)

EDIT(old) : this is for sale again and i am willing to ship. i need the money to buy a cage for my disco from a local friend, i would also have to completely redo the setup on the front of my truck to mount this (new bumper and all). my current winch is on a frame mounted plate in between the frame rails behind my GDE bumper, there is simply no room for the 8274 with how i have it now. ive flopped my truck on its side 3 times now (lightly) and its only a matter of time before i do it again and it goes all the way over, so the cage is higher on my priorities

so remember, you buying this gets me a roll cage, you an awesome winch, and another rover enthusiast some cash to spend on his classic (he is moving the parts from his disco to a classic after the disco motor went, hence me being able to get the cage)

it is as before; rebuilt, nice and grungy looking. it has not changed since the above pictures

includes original remote and solenoid box which will need work, i would not bother with the solenoid box and would wire the remote to an albright contactor, linked below ($85)

needs a cable, the one that came with it wasnt safe. you want a synthetic anyway

i recommend this for it:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WRN-76429/

this can ship via ups/fedex, ill have to check on the weight but the motor may have

to ship in a separate box (goes on and off with two screws) to stay under the limit. buyer pays shipping. will be getting shipped from 43230

one last thing. i am raising the price a bit, before when i was selling i really needed the money for something unrelated, now, not so much.

asking $400

paypal chazman42287@yahoo.com plus paypal fees. not as a gift, theres no buyer protection that way. will make a donation to dweb after it sells (who do i contact to do that anyway?)

So i want to keep this but due to my finances and the fact that i already have a (lesser) winch on my truck i am seeing if anyone wants this as Mud Ruts is willing to deliver it to the wilds for me, i cannot make the trip. i believe it is from 1986 with the condition and date code. winch itself is in perfect working order however the control box needs rebuilt or replaced and it will need a cable

part no: 8103
serial: 93720
date:fj8

one of the things that i worked hard to keep on this winch was the patina. when i could i taped off the outsides to keep the corrosion, moss (green stuff?) and stains intact. a good example of this is the brake mechanism which i had completely apart and the inside sandblasted but i left the visible areas untouched. i prefer the look and would hope that the possible new owner would too but it wouldnt be much work to cosmetically restore it if you wanted

since getting it i have fully disassembled it and gotten it ready for use other than a cable and control box. the lower seal has been replaced. my roommate damaged the new lower bushings that came in the lower kit so these have not been replaced, however the current ones are in good condition (they were replaced a few years ago and it not been used much.) bad news is the solenoid box is junk, the cover was removed long before i got it, the solenoids and other electrics in the box are rotted, you could still rebuild it but you would need to source a new cover. i had it hooked up to my current winch control box to get it working and was planning on going the Albright route using the original remote. includes the original remote however the plug has been removed as it was hard wired to the box. motor is one of the older prestolite motors out of cleveland ohio. it is in perfect working order and did not need any parts. internal gears, mating surfaces of the drum, and internals of the brake mechanism have been sandblasted.

hopefully i have gone over everything. if you have any questions feel free to ask. ill be putting up a picture of it as it is now a bit later but other than having the cable and solenoid box removed it doesnt look much different that the picture of it when i first got it.

asking $350
p.m. me for details
paypal works well (gift of couse)
this will go to the first person to paypal, no holding due to how soon the trip is. if it doenst sell for the trip i will probably keep it

when i got it:
0601121950.jpg

main case:
0611121726.jpg

main shaft and gears:
0611121801.jpg

sandblasted items:
0611121834.jpg

testing the motor: (this has been done since reassembled too but i dont have any pics)
0611121749.jpg

Last edited:

ItsNotAJeepThing

Oct 13, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
forgot to mention, this includes a roller fairlead to in similar cosmetic condition. 24hrs left before this goes on possibly permanent hold, meaning i work all weekend and mud ruts will have left by then. and am probably going to instal it shortly after, crappy winch is going on the back of the truck

ItsNotAJeepThing

Oct 13, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
this is for sale again and i am willing to ship. i need the money to buy a cage for my disco from a local friend, i would also have to completely redo the setup on the front of my truck to mount this (new bumper and all). my current winch is on a frame mounted plate in between the frame rails behind my GDE bumper, there is simply no room for the 8274 with how i have it now. ive flopped my truck on its side 3 times now (lightly) and its only a matter of time before i do it again and it goes all the way over, so the cage is higher on my priorities

so remember, you buying this gets me a roll cage, you an awesome winch, and another rover enthusiast some cash to spend on his classic (he is moving the parts from his disco to a classic after the disco motor went, hence me being able to get the cage)

it is as before; rebuilt, nice and grungy looking. it has not changed since the above pictures

includes original remote and solenoid box which will need work, i would not bother with the solenoid box and would wire the remote to an albright contactor, linked below ($85)

needs a cable, the one that came with it wasnt safe. you want a synthetic anyway

i recommend this for it: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WRN-76429/

this can ship via ups/fedex, ill have to check on the weight but the motor may have
to ship in a separate box (goes on and off with two screws) to stay under the limit. buyer pays shipping. will be getting shipped from 43230

one last thing. i am raising the price a bit, before when i was selling i really needed the money for something unrelated, now, not so much.

asking $400

paypal chazman42287@yahoo.com as a gift. will make a donation to dweb after it sells (who do i contact to do that anyway?)

Last edited:

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
I call this thread "Ode to the 8274".

I have one too. It's currently welded to a plate on a trailer, hooked up to nothing, and it hasn't turned over in years.

slorocco

Mar 21, 2008
Maryland
Just looked it up on the Warn site. Looks like this is made for considerably smaller winches. Are you sure this would handle the current/amp flow on an 8000lb winch? The largest winch they list for this part is a 4000lb atv winch.

ItsNotAJeepThing

Oct 13, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
slorocco said:
So what is this part? Is this a sort of solid state replacement for the solenoid pack?

Yes, I don't think that it's solid state though, you can look them up online, look up " contactor". due to this one needing solenoid work it makes sense to do the upgrade, I may have listed the wrong one. The one fish listed would work and expedition exchange has the super heavy duty Albright for a bit more