Mk IV Range Rover Announced

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
The guys over on RangeRovers.net have been drooling over the mule photos for months. I'm still curious to see how they managed to make the new version bigger yet 20% lighter than the L322, or whatever the claim is.

KyleT

Mar 28, 2007
Fort Worth, TEXAS
It's ugly as sin. I hope it increases the value of the l322 so mine will sell...

The évoque customers are largely first generation rover buyers while big body range rover buyers are largely repeat buyers. Those customers seem to really like the l322 and hate the évoque. And I don't see them being as happy with a ford edge looking vehicle when the l322 looks like a proper range rover.

ArmyRover

Dec 4, 2007
Augusta, GA
It would be awesome if the L322 prices hit the basement, I'd love to have one :D It would have to be damn cheap though lol

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
I don't like it, but I wouldn't call it ugly.
It is very unmistakably a Range Rover, much more so than the parking-structure-earthquake-casualty Evoque.

AU_88

Feb 28, 2006
Atlanta
I like the current RR more, but I still like this one except the tail lights and vents in the bumper. I can see myself buying a RR in the next 2-3 years, but I may stick with the 10-12 MY...

Leslie

Apr 28, 2004
Kingsport TN
I just saw a commercial for the new RR Sport; I like the vehicle, but the commercial convinced me you have to be a competitive douche to drive one...

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I don't really like the exterior styling, but I'm not a huge fan of the previous model's styling, either. It was allright, I suppose, but a bit bulbous, in my opinion. They've managed to make it seem a bit cartoonish here.

They've simplified the interior quite a bit. That can be good or bad. If they went the way of Rolls, and removed all the crap, it's going to be nicer inside. If they went the way of BMW, however, and jumbled multiple functions into each button... It won't be so nice.

The steering wheel, at least, no longer looks like it belongs in a star ship. That was stupid. Even so, I'd prefer to have a button for each function rather than ten functions for each button, and while I appreciate simplified wiring, I'd prefer common controls on their traditional circuits, rather than being operated by a computer.

They've managed to install two things that I absolutely can't stand, though. I think engine start buttons are a terrible irritation as well as a damnable inconvenience. As if keeping that stupid button around wasn't bad enough, they've gone and fitted Jaguar's new shifting dial. I hate those dials, and combined with the start button, it's just too much.

On top of that, they are making an old mistake all over again as evidenced by their recent brand strategy and proved by the interior photograph:

The oval isn't on the steering wheel. Range Rover is written there instead, and just in case you didn't notice, it's lit up on an LCD right behind the wheel. It's also on the front and the rear of the vehicle, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was on the center caps and stitched all over the interior, as well.

That kind of strategy is what caused all the confusion in the first place. Now, nobody is ever going to know who manufactures what. They are building two brands when they should be consolidating the one they've had for years.

Oh, the marketing department is working miracles with their "Range Rover" sub-brand, sure enough, but they should wrap their philosophies around the entire lineup to push the total company image forward.

Cheers,

Kennith

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
jmonsrvr said:
it looks like a range rover sport

Indeed. Having sat in one, there was no head room in the back seat whatsoever; and I am what I consider average height (6ft).

The new RR model reminds me of a Ford Flex, looks longer and flatter. Not a big fan of the seemingly reduced visual height; feels like it will be cramped inside.

Eliot

Feb 4, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Ballah06 said:
IndNot a big fan of the seemingly reduced visual height; feels like it will be cramped inside.

That's a big deal for me. It's one of the things I love about my classic.