Code P0026

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Those codes are usually from bad petrol or clogged injectors. I would get fill up with some good 93 petrol from Shell or BP, and add some Land Rover fuel conditioner to the tank.

I would ignore P0026 if it doesn't come back after being cleared. I think I've run in to that once before, and it was a split o-ring on the variable camshaft timing. That was a long time ago, so I am not sure if that is the fault it set. These cars will set all kinds of irrelevant fault codes, so if it doesn't come back, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

jafir

May 4, 2011
Northwest Arkansas
Update:

So I ran some injector cleaner... I don't have a Land Rover (or Jaguar) dealer within a reasonable distance, so I couldn't use their version. It still have the codes and was running noticeably rough. I bought the car this way as kind of a gamble because it was pretty cheap.

Anyway, so I decided to mess with the coils. I moved cylinders 5, 6, and 7, according to the LR3 service manual PDF that is floating around. No change. So then I started wondering about the cylinder numbers. Turns out the manual is wrong. It shows right bank 1234 left bank 5678. I found a Jaguar document, and it showed them being 1,3,5,7 on the right and 2,4,6,8 on the left. So I went to the other bank and swapped 2 and 6. I also noticed that some of the coils were loose, not bolted down tight. After this swap, I only had pending codes for p0302, p0316, and p0026. I swapped 1 and 2 and now I had pending codes for p0301.

Some of the coils were different than others, so someone was obviously in there before trying to fix this thing. I ordered a set of 8 coils from rock auto (over kill I know, but at least now I know they are all right as of today) and they came in today and I replaced them. All of the misfire codes are gone.

I've still got a pending code P0026, which I need to drive for a few cycles to see if it sets the check engine light. I'm hoping it stays behind the scenes. That solenoid is like $500-600 rebuilt from Land Rover, though if it just needs o-rings they aren't too expensive.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Replacing all the coils is the way to go. I can't really remember the one that I had with the broken o-ring, but I know the problem was obvious when I took it apart. I don't remember the fault code. It was pretty involved to replace it, I think the timing chains had to come off.

jafir

May 4, 2011
Northwest Arkansas
Light went off this morning. I wonder if the vvt wasn't being used while in limp home mode and got used to sitting there. Maybe it's getting freed up now? I'll keep my fingers crossed that it stays working.

jafir

May 4, 2011
Northwest Arkansas
Code comes back and then goes away sometimes too. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything and it is the only code I have. Eventually I'll probably pay a pro to fix it as I don't like the idea of tearing into the timing area of a dohc v8 with multiple chains.

jafir

May 4, 2011
Northwest Arkansas
I'm coming back to this because I've got a couple of new codes. I've still got the P0026 that comes on intermittently. But this morning it also had P0345 and P0340 with it.

So I'm thinking two things..... one very bad, that the timing chain tensioner is bad or the chain is stretched causing the cam sensor codes.

The other maybe not so bad idea is that a flaky cam sensor is causing all of the codes. Is there any chance that a cam sensor is used to gauge the performance of the VVT system, and that a bad sensor would cause the P0026 code?

jafir

May 4, 2011
Northwest Arkansas
Sometimes. It seems to be on for a couple of drive cycles and then off for a couple. Usually just the P0026, but I hadn't had the ultra gauge hooked up. I hooked it up and when the light came on this morning, I noticed the two extra codes.