DWeb Security Notice - Please Read

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
Hey Guys,

So...vBulletin, the software that runs DiscoWeb, has recently been targeted by a hacking crew. This crew claims to have a "zero day" exploit, meaning that they're breaking into vBulletin in a way that is not currently been addressed/patched by Jelsoft, the makers of vBulletin. It's not yet proven that they have the exploit but several prominent forums on the Internet (including Jelsoft's own forum) have been broken into in the last few days and usernames/passwords/email adresses have been stolen.

The hack is said to target vBulletin 4.x and 5.x, but DWeb runs version 3, which is said to be safe.

At this time, I don't believe DiscoWeb to be hacked but I still advise that you take precautions as detailed below.

Here is what you need to do:

1. Change your passwords on every other vBulletin forum that you use. Examples of vBulletin forums: DWeb, Expedition Portal, EE BBS, Pirate, MacRumors (for you Mac nerds...MacRumors was among the ones that got hacked)

2. Use different passwords for each forum. Whatever you do, don't use a forum password for something else like your e-mail account and/or your bank account. If you do use the same password everywhere, it's time to change it.

3. Use strong passwords with uppercase/lowercase, letters, and symbols. To make it easy to generate strong passwords and remember them, I highly recommend software like 1Password or Lastpass. These are tools that create different passwords for every site you visit and make them easy to remember by storing them securely and providing a button on your web browser to retrieve them.

More reading for you nerds: http://arstechnica.com/security/201...com-fuels-fears-of-in-the-wild-0-day-attacks/

Last edited:

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
So the combination is... one, two, three, four, five? That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!

1, 2, 3, 4, 5? That's amazing! I've got the same combination on my luggage!

mike97d1

Aug 13, 2004
Wilmington,NC
So the combination is... one, two, three, four, five? That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!

Nice Space Balls reference!

az_max

Apr 22, 2005

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a6iW-8xPw3k?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

honda50r

Jul 10, 2011
East Tennessee
Thanks for the heads up. the pathetic excuse for a website Rover Repair is vBulletin..I think. My anti-spam hated that shit a month ago, maybe because of all this stuff going on.