Tibus CV Kits - $740 delivered to URE

Jan 3, 2005
On Kennith's private island
So, just out of curiosity, how do these compare to the Ashcrofts?

I'm curious, too.

I feel the Ashcroft's will be stronger, but I don't know how much stronger. It all comes down to design.

Assuming the material is the same as stated (4340), and the rockwell rating is the same, and they're both through hardened, it comes down to design. The Ashcroft axles are waisted. The Tibus axles are only half waisted. In other words, the diff end of the axle is the weak link on the Tibus axles because the shaft is smaller than the splines in this area and the the torque cannot be distributed across the shaft evenly because it's not waisted - it's all concentrated in this area. It's called stress concentration.

Why is this important? It's important because when/if the shaft fails it does not take another part with it. The weak link in an Ashcrift shaft should be near the middle. So when the shaft breaks it snaps in the middle and not at the spline. That does not always mean this is where the shaft will break, though. But on the Tibus shaft it's most likely going to break at the spline on the diff end. When this happens it has the chance to snowcone and become wedged in the diff itself. Of course this makes even removing the diff difficult.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Would you have sold 30if they were Same price as ashcroft? Is gbr still making the ?

Would you have sold 30if they were Same price as ashcroft? Is gbr still making the ?

Would you have sold 30if they were Same price as ashcroft?

I don't think so. Kam is in the same price range as Ashcroft and we have not sold may of them either. In fact we don't sell may D1 ashcroft CV kits. We did sell a bunch of Keith Roving tracks kits but they were $700ish.

Is gbr still making the ?

I don't know what your asking ?

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
What does that tell you about the customers you attract?

It should tell you that the market won't sustain $1200 drop in axles. That's locked Toy axle territory. I think for guys that want to run locked 35's up front $1200 is too much and $740 is more on par with what RoverTracks used to offer. If you're running competitions or 37+ then you should probably be looking at different axles anyway.

Jan 3, 2005
On Kennith's private island
It should tell you that the market won't sustain $1200 drop in axles. That's locked Toy axle territory.

You're one of those dipshits who still think the Toyota conversion is a viable option. It's not.

When the Toyota kits were introduced we did not have CV/axles options like we do today. The only thing available back then was the 2522 kits, and whatever it was GBR was selling at the time. These were not 4340 and 300M bits. They were basically stock axles that went through a heat treatment process to improve strength. Some had rings welded to the inside of the CV's to keep them from cracking. Sharp edges had radius put on them for additional strength.

Even with all this the axles and CV's were shit. Everyone knew this. Even folks like Bill Burke were still running stock CV's because they knew they would break anyway and a broken CV was easier to fix than a broken inner axle. Other folk would score their CV's to insure they broke on the shaft and did not shatter a cage.

So, along came the Toyota conversion. Bobby Long at Longfield was making some pretty badass axles with the help of Rockford Achromatic. RA had the ability and equipment to make some super strong axles. With the Toyota and Rover diffs being somewhat similar it was a viable option to swap out the diffs and run some of the axles Bobby was turning out. Keith Kreutzer got this ball rolling and soon after offered a kit to make this swap happen. I installed one of the very first kits Keith put together into James Gall's 1995 D1, along with a Salisbury rear. It was a good kit at the time.

But today, we don't need the Toyota conversions. Why would we? For gear options? That's about the only advantage to the Toyota conversion these days. The Longfields may still be a cunt hair stronger than what Ashcroft is offering, but it's pretty close. The non-ABS CV's may even be equal to what Longfield was offering.

So the Toyota conversation is a piss poor argument and I can't even image that people are still doing this today. If they are, they're only doing it because they can, not because it's better.

But you're right, the market will no longer support $1100 axles. The market is flooded with cheapfucks. Cheapfucks do not understand what it is that makes a quality axle. And even if they do understand they're willing to overlook these important details to save a buck today, only to spend double later.

I think for guys that want to run locked 35's up front $1200 is too much and $740 is more on par with what RoverTracks used to offer.

Of course you do. I wouldn't expect you to think any other way.

Last edited:

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
I don't think so. Kam is in the same price range as Ashcroft and we have not sold may of them either. In fact we don't sell may D1 ashcroft CV kits. We did sell a bunch of Keith Roving tracks kits but they were $700ish.

I don't know what your asking ?

Missed a letter... Is GBR Still making them (CVs)? I gather from Dan no. I think that the one I used to run were strengthed as Dan mentioned, but also they could have been from a 110 or something. I had to run modified spindles.

Just looking at the Ashcroft vs. Tibus seems like one big difference is that the Tibus are ABS compatible, right?

Which HD rear axles do you carry?

Last edited:
So why don't you offer one of those badass Allmakes CV's you sell as a replacement "HD" kit? The 2522's are stronger than a stock D1, right? So why is this not an option if your customers like options?/QUOTE]

Ill let you answer that question

The only thing available back then was the 2522 kits, and whatever it was GBR was selling at the time. These were not 4340 and 300M bits. They were basically stock axles

ukoffroad

Jan 13, 2010
Lynchburg, Va
Part of the equation has to be what is the intent with the truck? Not everyone flogs the truck or needs super $$$ options, others do. Hence the options. If I break my current set up but do not push the truck that hard I should just buy the absolute best option out there? Why does being pragmatic about these trucks equate to being cheap? If so, should we not all have Husky winches? ARB lockers all around? It goes back to what is the intent with the truck, not just how do I throw dollars at something.

Buddy

Nov 6, 2006
Central NC
If so, should we not all have Husky winches? ARB lockers all around? It goes back to what is the intent with the truck, not just how do I throw dollars at something.

Actually ARB's are yesterday's news. The Ashcroft Air Locker is now the Cats Nipples or however the say goes.