Testbook

expectthebest

Apr 13, 2005
Washington State
Just purchased a 94 LWB and loving it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Jag use Testbook the same as rover? I don't have any rover dealerships within 200 miles of my home but there is a Jag dealer right down the road. My question is, couldn't they clear a hard fault with there computer if need be? I do my own repairs, I'm just afraid of incountering a hard fault and being stuck because I can't clear it.

Oct 27, 2004
When I left....They were different.

But very close.

Testbook is the Land Rover Computer, WDS (Worldwide Diagnostic System) is the Ford/Jaguar one.
I was told that they were going to make WDS work with Rover, but I havent heard anything about it.
I've used both, I like WDS more... I hope it does go that way.

sven

If you still have and plan to keep the EAS stuff, then you will need someone with a testbook. If you dont have EAS, then everything else can be tested without one (ABS light, Check Engine light). If the nearest LR dealer is 200 miles away, you should consider removing the EAS and converting to springs.

expectthebest

Apr 13, 2005
Washington State
I know the EAS is prone to failure and expensive to fix. It's just so cool that I havn't yet been able to bring myself to change over to coils.

By the way, will the Rovacom Lite reset these hard fault codes?

A

agro1

expectthebest said:
It's just so cool that I havn't yet been able to bring myself to change over to coils.
How cool will it be when it fails and you're stranded ? ;)

expectthebest

Apr 13, 2005
Washington State
I agree. I do carry extra bags which are easy to replace and are the most probable catastophic failure that would leave you stranded. You can then always temperarily get around the hard fault by the ways described on rangerovers.net. The valve block and compressor are probably not going to fail without giving you some good indicators well in advance so getting stuck because of these would be due to your own negligence.

By the way, is there anyone on this board that likes and keeps the EAS? I'm new to the board but it seems that most are adimently set on coils. Maybe I'll feel the same way after being and owner a while longer.

Anyway, thanks for the good comments!

A

agro1

There are a few guys that keep their EAS. Most of the people on there agree with the coil conversion, especially if you do ANY serious offroading. Remember, there are lots of other things in the EAS that can fail and put you on the bumpstops, compressor, valve block, ride height sensors, air lines, thermal sensors, pressure sensors etc...It's a ticking timebomb...
Listen to AlanB - he knows more than just about anyone on here...The MARS system is a good idea if you want to keep the EAS for offroading.

expectthebest

Apr 13, 2005
Washington State
agro1 said:
There are a few guys that keep their EAS. Most of the people on there agree with the coil conversion, especially if you do ANY serious offroading.

Rangerovers.net seems to think the EAS was developed for serious off roading. Are they off base?

A

AlanB

The EAS maybe a neat novelty at this time, but as things start failing and money and time are thrown at it, it soon wears off. Just give it some time, you'll be switching :D

In concept the EAS is a good idea, but in reality its just another liabiliy off-road.

Pugsly

Banned
Apr 20, 2004
www.roverautomotive.com
expectthebest said:
By the way, is there anyone on this board that likes and keeps the EAS? I'm new to the board but it seems that most are adimently set on coils. Maybe I'll feel the same way after being and owner a while longer.

I'm not a member of the Luddite contingent... I like the EAS, I like being able to set ride height, I like the good body isolation you get from the road, and yes it is cool.

The P38 is such a computer monstrosity anyway, I don't see what the big deal is with the EAS compared to the other systems.

The P38 is the only vehicle I ever had that refused to turn off when the ignition key was turned off and the key was removed. Ended up having to disconnect the battery! Oh, and turning on the lights caused the rear wiper to run (lights wouldn't go on though, I didn't figure out which button did that).

A

agro1

Pugsly said:
The P38 is such a computer monstrosity anyway, I don't see what the big deal is with the EAS compared to the other systems.
The P38 is the only vehicle I ever had that refused to turn off when the ignition key was turned off and the key was removed. Ended up having to disconnect the battery! Oh, and turning on the lights caused the rear wiper to run (lights wouldn't go on though, I didn't figure out which button did that).
None of the "computer monstrosity" problems you mention will leave you stranded on the trail - an EAS failure will. But oh how "cool" you'll look...

A

AlanB

Lets not get into the EAS argument again, to each his own. Just take it off-road and have fun.

expectthebest

Apr 13, 2005
Washington State
I don't know why things have to turn in to an agument anyway. It seems like there was just a discussion going with different opinions which is what makes a board like this so useful and informative. There are different sides to every view. It all goes down hill when people start going down the insult path (I think you know who you are). I'm sorry if I hit a touchy subject with some people. Just trying to learn..........I won't bring it up again. :rolleyes:

Thanks to those with constructive points!!

A

agro1

AlanB said:
Lets not get into the EAS argument again, to each his own. Just take it off-road and have fun.
Oh come on Alan, gotta give the guy a little shit :) Especially when EAS and "cool" are used in conjunction...please.