Headlamp problem unlike anything I've seen B4

S

scyoung

It's probably something simple and I'm a bonehead, but this one doesn't really make sense.

Out of nowhere the headlamps and front marker lamps quit working.

Here's a list of symptoms:

City lamps in the headlamps come on as normal
High beams work as normal
No low beams or marker lamps at any point
Front blinkers work as normal
All rear lights all work as normal
Interior illumination comes on as normal
Fuses checked- all normal

I'm guessing the switch or is there a common ground or relay for front lamps? Damned thing has been falling apart more in the past month than in the previous two years- it knows it has emissions and safety inspections in the next month.

G

Gabe

My guess would be the light switch stalk.
Mine did the exact same thing about 3 years ago. Switch was replaced under warranty so I can?t offer any help with removing the switch but, I?m sure some one on the board has done it that could post.

GG

S

scyoung

replacing the switch is cake- expensive cake though. i looked through the repair manual and it doesn't show a wiring diagram of the switch so I can try jumpering the contacts to see if the lamps wake up.

D

D Chapman

Steve, You do know there are like four fuses that run the lights on a D1, right? With that said, you may call Will Tillery, in R'mond, about a switch.

And what emmissions testings does VA have? Is this a Northern VA thing? In mid VA we don't have this, just safety inspection. Heck, your Federal Law Inforcemant, you should be able to pass.

S

Sergei

scyoung said:
replacing the switch is cake- expensive cake though. i looked through the repair manual and it doesn't show a wiring diagram of the switch so I can try jumpering the contacts to see if the lamps wake up.

Before you go there - did you check underhood fuses? :)

RAVE CD got wiring diagram for damn thing, btw, if you look closely enough.
Anyway (for D1) - if you starting to shorten them - with plug in hand, turn it so fattest wire in middle will be up. Now you need to shorten that fat middle contact to lowest left to get somewhat appropriate simulation to what happens when you getting switch in first position.

I also would suggest to just take switch apart, its not hard, but it can shed some light on why you getting everything apart from low beam and side markers.

Good luck with hunting.

S

scyoung

I checked all the fuses- never seen so many fuses just for light circuits. I'll spend some time with the Rave CD and wiring diagrams. You're right though- maybe I'll take the switch apart. I've done it a billion times on MG's- the Disco probably has similar nonsensical equipment. I'm starting to doubt it's the switch since the other functions such as dash lamps and rear fogs come on at the proper times- I'll check the diagrams in Rave and see if the front lights share a common ground before I tear into the switch.

Northern Va has pretty strict inspections- Emissions every two years (which includes exhaust inspection- which it failed because of a 3MM leak in the rear muffler) and regular safety inspections every year. Nobody gets a free pass on it becasue of their job or former job though- but I think if you fail the emissions part and spend $400 towards repairs and still fail, they can give you a waiver for one year if you pass the visible smoke test.

It was bad enough when I just needed to replace my o2 sensors, now it can't be driven at night. :mad:

MTNHDWR

Apr 20, 2004
Charlotte NC
I am sure this is obivious but sometimes the obvious is overlooked:
Are the bulbs burnt out? The D2 has dual filament bulbs. My brights burned out at the same time, so in a split second I had dims and no brights! Just a thought. The city bulbs are seperate and have yet to burn out. :cool:

S

scyoung

I guess it's possible I burned out four bulbs at once- stranger stuff has happened before. Tonight I'll try 'hotwiring' the switch to see if the lamps wake up (after checking the bulbs). The only thing that I would think could link a headlamp outage with a parking/marker lamp outage on the front only would be a common ground for all those lamps failing or the switch. Can't find the ground, so I'll start with the switch and a voltmeter.
I'd like to think that if I bought a new Disco I'd have fewer problems, but the guy down the street with the new '04 drives a loaner from the dealer more often than I have to park my 95 because of problems.