D1 radiator - refurb or renew?

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
if my D1 radiator isn't leaking too badly, is it worth it to have it refurbished or should I just pitch it and buy a salvaged one or a new one? I'm looking at one of those places that says "we can patch up any radiator, no matter how bad, for $x." A friend has had good luck with this shop on several radiators.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
thanks...sound advice, I am sure. I'm just looking for input because what I save on new rad could pay for new airbags.

C

campbell

I have never been to Arizona, but I assume it gets pretty warm in the summer. $600 seems pretty steep for a radiator. I would bet you could get a custom aluminum one for around $400. This would cool the vehicle much better than the $600 factory. If not call these guys, 1-800-743-4243. They are in Phoenix and show that they have a radiator for a D1 out of a salvaged vehicle for $125. Not sure if it is good but they will probably let you know.

Last edited:

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
BAM....you da man. I'll give them a shout.

hmmmm....if I saved that much money I could buy that digital video camera.... :D

jkatka

Apr 19, 2004
Pacific NorthWest
Blue, I would go for a new radiator as there is less chance of the thing leaking on you in the middle of bumper to bumper traffic or middle of no where. I have a recore in my RRC and it works fine, though in the back of my mind it makes me worry a little. If your in the market for airbags I know of someone that has a set.

JK

Jake

Apr 20, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
Recore or Repair?

A recored radiator is basically a new radiator. The company uses your tanks and inserts a new set of tubes (things with the fins). Recore should be like new, no worries and have a warranty.

A repaired tube is just that. Lots of shops are pretty good at it, only problem is possible failure outside the repaired area due to stress risers in the tubes (from the old impact and the change in material at the repair site.

Since you have the truck down as far as you do, I would go with a a recore over a repair or a salvage. Salvage may have issues of clogged tubes and buildup, while the tubes in the recore are new.

just my two cents, your milegae may vary

T

Tony23007

Rodded Radiators

What's so bad about getting a radiator Rodded. I been thinking about getting mine done since it's not leaking or broken, just old?

Lutzgaterr

Apr 23, 2004
LUTZ, Florida
After 6 years of use, I removed mine, had it rodded, $75. Funny thing though, I was watching this old fella rod and he was surprised since it had 1 tube that had anything, rest were clean. I was lucky I guess. But, that damn radiator was clogged on the outside for sure and the ac condensor was even worse. So, this would be a good annual maint item to remove and clean exterior from both rad and ac-cond. I go through lots of water in the swamps, so I am now on that schedule of pulling and cleaning several times/year.

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
Hey Blue, what did you end up doing? Getting a new radiator, recoring an old, or? Mine has a slight leak from the front driver's side and trying to decide what I'm going to do. Thanks!