different resonators?

K

kkngtgr

are the resonators in a 96 Disco supsed to be different from each other? I checked them and they are different in mine, and I dont see a reason for this, the one under the driver side is part number ESR3644 and looks more like a cilinde and the one under the passenger side is number ESR3645, and is a bit biger, is this normal, and what after market product would fit instead, since I might have to change at least one of them?
-Marco

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
you mean the catalytic converters? yes, they are different shapes. not sure why, land rover just loves to mess with your mind.

K

kkngtgr

So there's one cat converter for each side of the engine, and then two muflers in line one after the other?

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
to an extent yes. the rear "muffler" is actually a "resonator." it acts to quiet down the exhaust just a touch more. with mine off, really didn't notice much a difference. so it is manifold each side, connects to cat each side (y-pipe), which forms to one pipe which connects to muffler, which then goes to resonator, then tail-pipe (sorry if that was simplistic sounding, just wanted to cover the whole thing).

K

kkngtgr

Thanks for the info Robbie, Then I think I have to replace at least one of the cat converters(driver side) its making some noises, so its either the cat or the muffler, I'll check on tha, thanks again