Steam Cleaning

Andrew Homan

Jun 7, 2004
Alaska
Yes, lots have, might check the tech section and do a search of old posts should be plenty info there about cleaning the engine bay :)

Asolo3j

Nov 8, 2004
Annapolis
Thanks, found some good info... but how much does a shop usually charge for a good cleaning? Is it cost effective to buy a cleaning unit myself?

Asolo3j

Nov 8, 2004
Annapolis
Anybody recommend a good presure washer? What PSI and GPM should I look for? I just want to get the grime off... not knock the rivets out of the doors.

WillTN

Oct 14, 2004
Franklin, TN
www.tnrovers.com
Asolo3j said:
Anybody recommend a good presure washer? What PSI and GPM should I look for? I just want to get the grime off... not knock the rivets out of the doors.

You probably should not pressure wash your engine bay. You might get some ill effects. But then again I pressure wash my D90's engine. But I would not do it on my D2 or RRC. I have spent a lot of time sealing up the 90 so I fell confidant that I will not get any water in anything. But for the D2 and RRC I just use foaming engine degrease stuff and the hose to get rid of everything. I am afraid that if I used my pressure washer on them I would destroy a lot of electrical stuff. Especially on my RRC. :D

P

peter cowin

I had a 90 years ago that I steam cleaned after a particularly mudy day out :D . So I took it to a so called "expert" (x is a has been, spert is a drip under presure) what a hash he made of it I had to strip and clean the carbs, rota arm and all the engine bay electrics. :eek:
I have not had my Disco (Basil) done but I am thinking about it as it is deisel not petrol.

BlackAndTan

Oct 27, 2004
WillTN said:
But for the D2 and RRC I just use foaming engine degrease stuff and the hose to get rid of everything.

Say, while we're here.. what do you have to be careful about with the foaming engine degreaser, as to what parts to not dissolve, etc.?

Andrew Homan

Jun 7, 2004
Alaska
Low pressure water and a good mild degreaser. Cover electronics well and dry out. I put dialectric grease on the connections to help prevent water issues

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
what Andy said above.

you don't need a steam cleaner to clean you engine bay.
i just use a hose and a jet type sprayer.
but i coat the engine first w/ a diluted mix of castrol super clean and water.
try to avoid directly spraying on coil pack and ecu and you'll be fine.
i do this regularly and have had no ill effects.

yes my engine and drive train are cleaner than the body... :D