Oil Quiz.

Oct 27, 2004
My oil thread has been read by quite a few people.

Here it is in cas eyou missed it.

http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54420

And, it seems almost everyone is getting what I'm trying to get across. So, for fun, I have a quick quiz to see where you are.

Less then 10% of in the feild techs pass all questions before training.

Which of the following oil products is approved for use in GM and Honda high performance engines that require 5W-30 oil? (LS6, LS2, LS7, HFV6, LC3, HFV6, Northstar VVT, Supercharged, Ecotec, Acura RDX, etc)

a. Valvoline Synpower 5W-30

b. Castrol Syntec 5W-30

c. Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30

d. None of the above

Which of the following oil products is approved for use in BMW engines that require 5W-30 oil?

a. Castrol Syntec 5W-30

b. Mobil 1 5W-30

c. Penzoil Platinum 5W-30

d. None of the above

Which of the following oil products is required to be the thickest and provide the best shear protection at very high temperatures?

a. SAE 0W-30 with API SM and ACEA A3/B3 approval

b. SAE 5W-30 with ILSAC GF-4 and ACEA A1/B1 approval

c. SAE 10W-30 with API SM and ACEA A5/B5 approval

d. SAE 10W-40 API SM approval

Which of the following oil products has the highest allowable level of ZDDP anti-wear additives that help facilitate flat tappet camshaft break-in?

a. SAE 10W-30 with API SM and ACEA A3/B3 approval

b. SAE 10W-30 with API SM and ACEA A5/B5 approval

c. SAE 10W-30 API CJ-4 approval

d. SAE 15W-40 API CJ-4 approval

Which of the following is the most common cause of oil sludge related engine damage? And, what oil products can help prevent sludge under these conditions?

a. Extreme heat API CF approved oil

b. High engine loads ACEA A1/B1 approved oil

c. Short trips ACEA A5/B5 approved oil

d. 7,500 mile oil drain intervals ILSAC GF-4 approved oil

brianhoberg

Apr 16, 2007
San Antonio, TX
www.brianhoberg.com
Chris-St Louis said:
Which of the following oil products is approved for use in GM and Honda high performance engines that require 5W-30 oil? (LS6, LS2, LS7, HFV6, LC3, HFV6, Northstar VVT, Supercharged, Ecotec, Acura RDX, etc)
b. Castrol Syntec 5W-30

Chris-St Louis said:
Which of the following oil products is approved for use in BMW engines that require 5W-30 oil?

a. Castrol Syntec 5W-30

Chris-St Louis said:
Which of the following oil products is required to be the thickest and provide the best shear protection at very high temperatures?

Chris-St Louis said:
Which of the following oil products has the highest allowable level of ZDDP anti-wear additives that help facilitate flat tappet camshaft break-in?

Chris-St Louis said:
Which of the following is the most common cause of oil sludge related engine damage? And, what oil products can help prevent sludge under these conditions?

Chris, my biggest question would be: If you had the opportunity to rewrite the LR Manual for most ideal oil that would be the most beneficial to the LR Disco Engines since most are at least now 50k+ in mileage, what would you say is THE ONE oil to use? I know its relative to the environment, but lets just make it easy and say "middle America".

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2004
brianhoberg said:
b. Castrol Syntec 5W-30

a. Castrol Syntec 5W-30

Chris, my biggest question would be: If you had the opportunity to rewrite the LR Manual for most ideal oil that would be the most beneficial to the LR Disco Engines since most are at least now 50k+ in mileage, what would you say is THE ONE oil to use? I know its relative to the environment, but lets just make it easy and say "middle America".

You got one right...:) I'll post the answers after more people get a swipe at it.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.asp

Mobils 0-40 (see link) in its current state(Oils change fomulas periodically) can be used in every ambiant temp, and provides everything a Disco/RR classic.P38 engine asks for, and is avalible at the zone.

Rotella is a excellent choice too, but can get too think in really cold enviornments.

flyfisher11

May 25, 2005
Wolf Laurel NC
Chris-St Louis said:
oooooooo That is a nice oil, and it even meets the 505.001, thats a toughie. How easy is it to get though?

Holy shit! $9.40 a quart! The mobil is like 6

You can order it on line cheaper than that and also find it at various dealers. It is harder to find but it is some good stuff.

Oct 27, 2004
It does have better specs then the Mobil. I picked the based on Performance,price and avalibity. It will do everything a Rover engine would ask for at a reasonable cost.

curtis

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Chris-St Louis said:

c. Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30

Chris-St Louis said:

b. Mobil 1 5W-30

Chris-St Louis said:

Chris-St Louis said:

Chris-St Louis said:

Oct 27, 2004
curtis said:
c. Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30

b. Mobil 1 5W-30

Sorry Curtis...Those are all wrong. :(

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
So what exactly is the benefit of using this oil? It seems to me that the vast majority of the Rover V8's have done fine with other oils and regular changes. Does it effect cam wear?

Oct 27, 2004
jymmiejamz said:
So what exactly is the benefit of using this oil? It seems to me that the vast majority of the Rover V8's have done fine with other oils and regular changes. Does it effect cam wear?

Yes, this directly affects cam wear. "fine" is subjective. Its not like if you use a oil with a lesser sheer rating that your engine is just going to die right now. It happens over time. Rover Camshafts,using wrong oils will show measureable wear in 50,000 miles, sometimes even sooner. A cam can wear and you will never know it.

lunchbox

Apr 20, 2004
St Louis, MO
Chris,

Remember when you did the swap, I filled that bitch with Amsoil? It cost me a f'ing fortune! They have it up the street at Southwest Auto. I thinks its in the $6 range. It is the oil that the machine shop suggested when I picked up the heads.

lunchbox

Apr 20, 2004
St Louis, MO
You laughed at me. Jackass! I haven't used it since. I've been running Mobile Uno Synthetic. Seems to be complete shit. My crank seal looks to be pissing all over the place, so I'm going to switch when I do that. Probably going with the Rotella. What is up with all of the oil research? New job? (if you already said...I missed it)

Oct 27, 2004
I do have a new gig, but thats not why the research. I went to a few classes and seminars on it. Its amazing what I didnt know. So, mostly its just trying to be the best I can be. :)

Oct 27, 2004
And, now the answers! :)

1 is d (Castrol & Valvoline do not have any products in the USA that meet the GM 4718M or Honda HTO-06 requirements for cars sold in America. There is only 1 Mobil 1 product that meets those ratings, and the listed one is the wrong one)

2 is d (none of the commonly available 5W-30 products from Mobil, Castrol or Penzoil meet BMW minimum requirements)

3 is a (SAE viscosity requirements are very "wide" the listed ACEA rating assures a much thicker 0W-30 product at high temperature than a 10W-40)

4 is a (Hot Rodders recomend "diesel 15W-40" only because they don't understand, or even acknowledge the ACEA ratings)

5 is c

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
Chris-St Louis said:
And, now the answers! :)

1 is d (Castrol & Valvoline do not have any products in the USA that meet the GM 4718M or Honda HTO-06 requirements for cars sold in America. There is only 1 Mobil 1 product that meets those ratings, and the listed one is the wrong one)

2 is d (none of the commonly available 5W-30 products from Mobil, Castrol or Penzoil meet BMW minimum requirements)

3 is a (SAE viscosity requirements are very "wide" the listed ACEA rating assures a much thicker 0W-30 product at high temperature than a 10W-40)

4 is a (Hot Rodders recomend "diesel 15W-40" only because they don't understand, or even acknowledge the ACEA ratings)

5 is c

So whats the best oil? D-Web needs a lecture on gear oils.