Rearview Mirror leaking

cjm

Apr 24, 2004
My 1998 D1's rearview mirror has started leaking a black liquid. I seem to remember reading about a recall/replacement program but I can't find the post; the archives are down. Does anyone have any info? TIA, John

rpm2429

Jun 11, 2004
denver, co
my '96 did the same thing, pull up the web site for the manufacturer ( donnelly) or something like that, and go to customer service and explain what happened. They sent me the updated one with the little side dome lights, pretty cool. It took awhile but they emailed me when it was on the way.

draaronr

Apr 20, 2004
wilmington, nc
Contact Information

Magna Donnelly
Corporate Headquarters
600 Wilshire Dr.
Troy, MI 48084

Phone: (616) 786-7000
Fax:(248) 729-2424

E-mail Addresses
General Information: information@magnadon.com
Sales/Support: customercarecenter@magnadon.com
Supplier Support: suppliersupport@magnadon.com
call them I got mine in like 2-3 weeks from when I spoke to them, totally free, and yes the new mirror is sweet with the map lights.

K

kkngtgr

Yeap, they are right, I email them and got mine, like 2 months later, but I got it, the auto dim and the map lights are great, good luck

- Marco

D

Discobro

Well that bites - they musta got a new version of the mirror out or discontinued the old models. I replaced mine last year with a Donnely replacement but no map lights :(

Guess I can't complain - it was free....

J

jmtm

Rearview Mirror Leaking

Where exactly is the black liquid leaking from (in the mirror itself or from where it is connected to the window)? ...Mine is in terrible condition and I wasn't sure if it qualified for the recall...I have a 96 disco...

D

DiscoJag

Rear View Mirror

Hi Guys. It looks like I will be getting a replacement for my '96 Disco mirror which
leaked from Magna Donnelly. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on
removing the old one. I heard that it slides upward parallel to the windshield, but I
have tried that and it doesn't seem to work. I've put a rag under it and tapped it with a hammer and not a budge. I guess a sledge hammer might do it. It is not mentioned
in the maint manual. Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim Legge
'96 Disco
'85 Jag XJ

P

P38MeMate

Loose the hammer dude or you'll bust the windshield.
The stem which is quite bulbouse at the windshield houses a spring clip and a sort of flanged plate which is part of the lug which is bonded to the windshield. The stems base and this flange have some small features molded into them that mesh together ever so slightly but very effectively. This is what resists your being able to slide the stem and makes it solid when you adjust the mirror. You have to gently yet firmly apply the force to the base of the stem with your hands. The force has to over come the spring clips ability to draw the stem's base onto the lug and its surrounding flange which you can't see. Sorry it either goes up or down in alighment with the plane of the windsheld, I just can't remember which way is correct. Don't try to pry it or bend it off or you will ruin the spring clip.

Ho

Staff member
:) maplight? :)
DSC00858.jpg

yo! adrian

Apr 20, 2004
Frisco, Tx
Hey DiscoJag...what mirror did you tell them you needed (style or part #)? I recently emailed them and they told me they were out of the style for my rig, 1997 D1. I doubt it's much different than your 96's??

D

DiscoJag

Adrian,
They sent me a Word doc with pictures in it and asked me how many pins the plug had in it, if I had map lights, and what type of mount I had. I answered the email but haven't actually seen their response yet. I can't get into my home email from here at work, they have it blocked. I'll check it tonight. I didn't think to tell them I had map lights, I don't now - oh well !

yo! adrian

Apr 20, 2004
Frisco, Tx
Riiiight. That's exactly what I received as well. You'll probably get an email stating they are out of mirrors. If they tell you 'It's on its way', then let me know so that I can contact them.

Thanks.

Onionman

Apr 23, 2004
Olathe, KS
Well, what a timely return by DiscoWeb. Just two weeks ago, my interior rearview mirror began leaking ugly "brownish-blackish" fluid and developed a large splotch in the center of the glass. Now, I find that I can contact Magna Donnelly and get a replacement. I called them on Monday, they asked me to send some digital photos to confirm which model mirror I need, and promised to send a replacement as soon as they get in a new shipment from Ireland, where the mirrors are manufactured. We'll see what happens.

Thanks, DiscoWeb, for making this forum available so I can find such great information so readily.

Joey

Apr 19, 2004
Liberty Township, Ohio
I know in the past they have ran out of mirrors, but they still ship them as soon as they get in. And at least they are FREE, you can't complain about to much if it takes a couple extra days or weeks to get to your door......you can always go to the dealer and buy a new one at $300+ I am sure they would love to accept your money.

D

DiscoJag

Mirrors

I got a couple more emails from Magna Donnelly yesterday. The guys said they were all out of the type of mirror I have but would I mind taking one with map lights. So of course I said sure I'll take one with map lights. So I've still got my fingers crossed.

Jaime

Apr 29, 2004
NJ
97 D1.. I got the free mirror from M-D about 8 months ago. At that time it took about 8 weeks to get it. My original mirror did not have the map lights, the new one does, and they work. If your original mirror was auto-dimming, the new one with map lights should work as well.

To remove the mirror, I hit the base of the mirror with the side of my hand in a downward direction like a karate chop. Don't hit with all your might, just progressively harder until you get it off.

Once you have the mirror off, you may need to unscrew the plastic map pocket/sunvisor support piece in order to be able to pull the headliner down a bit so you can get access to the connectors....or you may get lucky and be able to get to it withiud doing this.

In any case, its a simple hjob to replace it, and an M-D is a great company for standing behind their product!