Rattles/squeaks from the rear storage bins - help anyone?

N

NorCalDisco

Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to get rid of annoying rattles/squeaks that originate from the rear plastic storage bins? I'm in a process of installing a new sound system (pics/info to come...) and mounted one of the amps right on the plastic box. Amp is too heavy so it flexes the box, which in turn starts to rattle and squeak.

I'm wondering if running some black silicone along all of the box edges will fix the problem?

How do you guys deal with the plastic panels that rattle in general? Is there any "universal" fix for this annoying issue?

MTNHDWR

Apr 20, 2004
Charlotte NC
I am surprised you mounted an amp to that flimsy storage bin. There is no way they should be able to carry much shear weight. Why don't you just take the box out all together and mount to the panel behind. Just a thought.

Jamooche

Apr 20, 2004
Boston
www.jamilabbasy.com
Mine originally had 7 seats so I don't have the bins, but I do get some squeeking and rattling a lot from the plastic pannels that line the inner walls in the trunk. My solution was to take the screws and push rivots out and line where the panels were rubbing with some rubber or weather stripping. Somethimes even just tightening the screws takes care of the noise.

Jamil

D

discoverover

I mounted an amp in the same spot in my 96' SE7. Once I removed the jumpseat (which is where your cubby is, I think) I was able to use the seat mounts which mount the seat to the body/frame. I bolted wood panels to the brackets vertically and then bolted the amp to the wood. I'm not sure if all discoverys come with bracket mounts behind the plastic panel in order to add a jumpseat, though. I assume the reason you are putting the amp in the rear is to run a sub or the rear speakers, but another good spot is under the front seats. Dave

N

NorCalDisco

problem solved

Thanks for replies. I can't mount the ampt anywhere else but there or the cargo floor I wan to save the space. It's too big. But, I solved the problem. The amp is mounted on the cover and the screws are actually in a sheet of wood, inside the cover, so it's solid. The problem was the top lid - that's what was rattling - $2.00 for little rubber bumpons and everything is tight as a rock now!

As a side note, since this was my very first time "working" on the car, I've managed to pull pretty much the entire enterior out at one time, to run the wires. As I was putting all the panels back in, I realized that many of the screwes should've been tightened long time ago: tightened screws, and a few rubber bumpons here and there all over the car and I now have virtually no rattles even when the ride gets rough!

Stereo is almost finished... pics to come soon!!!