Rear brakes.

bmxer06pa

Mar 8, 2010
My rear brakes have worn out faster than my fronts on my previous 2 sets of pads and rotors, and my rear passenger seems to be wearing out the fastest. This seems counter intuitive to me. I know the fronts provide the majority of the stopping power.
Is there anything I should look for that may cause this? All I can think is that the rear calipers ar sticking and wearing down the pads/rotors prematurely.
Ay other ideas?

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
The slides on my van's rear brakes froze and caused premature wear. I was able to pull the pins out, clean them up, and they've been fine since.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
jymmiejamz said:
Fixed it.
Just because it has no windows and I routinely ask for help loading couches into the back of it doesn't mean I'm raping anybody. It's hard so say "no" with tape over your mouth, anyways.

bmxer06pa

Mar 8, 2010
When I take it apart and clean the pins what should I lube it with to keep it functioning well and help prevent it from seizing in the future?
Plus I need to make my brakes quiet. It is hard to make a quick rape escape with grinding brakes.

Jake1996D1

Mar 28, 2011
West Des Moines IA
bmxer06pa said:
When I take it apart and clean the pins what should I lube it with to keep it functioning well and help prevent it from seizing in the future?
Plus I need to make my brakes quiet. It is hard to make a quick rape escape with grinding brakes.

Grease or anti seize would probably work fine too

jafir

May 4, 2011
Northwest Arkansas
I like Honda urea grease, part 08798-9002, or just high temp disc brake wheel bearing grease if I don't have any of the Honda stuff.

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
best shit ever

photo-6.jpg

DarylJ

Apr 3, 2011
Doylestown, PA
Jake1996D1 said:
Grease or anti seize would probably work fine too

Neither of those are appropriate for brakes. While they make work for a time it's going to become a problem in short order.

Mongo has the right idea.

Jake1996D1

Mar 28, 2011
West Des Moines IA
DarylJ said:
Neither of those are appropriate for brakes. While they make work for a time it's going to become a problem in short order.

Mongo has the right idea.

I agree Mongos solution is best however I have used a very small amount of high temp grease in the past and it "had not become an issue in short order". I know it's not ideal to use petroleum based products in rubber boot. I wonder what the difference is between the 3M anti seize and regular anti seize. Petroleum vs synthetic?

Last edited:

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I generally use this, but there are countless alternatives.

safe_image.php

And yes, slide pins need to be checked regularly. Very few people have sense enough to lube them properly, and the rubber boots don't last forever. They should be changed every time you change your pads, at least.

It doesn't take much to seize something like that.

Cheers,

Kennith

helievacpilot

Mar 29, 2007
Denver CO
Must be something with D2's. Was installing my Devon towers today and some LR spring spacers (isolators) all around for a little more lift. Both of my rear calipers looked like CRAP!!! They look like they're a hundred years old and are barely making contact with the rotors.

DarylJ

Apr 3, 2011
Doylestown, PA
Jake1996D1 said:
I agree Mongos solution is best however I have used a very small amount of high temp grease in the past and it "had not become an issue in short order". I know it's not ideal to use petroleum based products in rubber boot. I wonder what the difference is between the 3M anti seize and regular anti seize. Petroleum vs synthetic?

That's only one issue.

You also suggested anti seize, which dries out and becomes more like a glue than a lubricant on surfaces like slider pins.

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
kennith said:
I generally use this, but there are countless alternatives.

safe_image.php

And yes, slide pins need to be checked regularly. Very few people have sense enough to lube them properly, and the rubber boots don't last forever. They should be changed every time you change your pads, at least.

It doesn't take much to seize something like that.

Cheers,

Kennith

That's what we use at the shop. We used to use redline cv grease for the girling style pins. We used copper anti seize paste on carrier slides and the backing plates and silglide on the BMW/Benz slide pins. Now we just use the purple permatex lube. We still use silglide on the BMW/Benz pins. Fwiw, the permatex is almost exactly the same 'stuff' as the paste that hawk, stop tech, etc sell