Actual Disclaimer from a repair shop.

Oct 27, 2004
Check out this cut and paste of a disclaimer from a actual auto repair shop.

It took up half the page.

You will be called with estimate as soon as diagnostic
work is done. There is a charge for towing and diagnostic
work in all cases if we do not do the job, & in some cases
if we do the job. Payment is due in full before vehicle
leaves the shop. In many cases a deposit may be required
before work is done. Vehicles left more than 1 day after
completion of job will be charged $20 per day storage or
the maximum amount allowed by law. Vehicles left more than
30 days will be sold. In most cases checks and credit cards
are not acceptable. Cash Money is the only acceptable form
of payment. In most cases, partial or complete payment will
be required in advance before work is done. There is no
warranty when customer supplied parts or our shop installs
used parts. We are not responsible for your vehicle not
operating properly after a transmission fluid change. Some
vehicles will not ever move again after a transmission
fluid change if the transmission is on the brink of
malfunctioning. Most transmission repairs will require
removing the transmission from the vehicle & tearing it
apart to inspect it in order to determine which parts are
bad so we can quote you a price for the repair. Some other
repairs will also require a teardown in order to determine
the extent of necessary repairs. If you don't want us to
perform needed repairs there will be a charge to remove,
teardown, inspect, and make calls to price all the
necessary parts. Remove all valuables from your vehicle
before leaving. The shop is not responsible for items left
in vehicle. You are responsible for having full coverage
insurance on your vehicle before leaving it at our shop,
contracting shop, or having us tow your vehicle. If you are
concerned about any towing damage, you should call a
wrecker service to do your towing. We are not responsible
for any damage we, or any referred/affiliate towing company
may cause while towing your vehicle. We do not carry
insurance to cover towing damage. We simply offer this
service as a convenience to our customers. Our standard
warranty is 90 days or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first,
except engine rebuilds and transmission rebuilds, which is
6 months or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first and is
limited only to the repairs we made. Any exception would
have to be made in writing and signed by (this shop).
Neglect and abuse, including installing any performance
parts, voids warranty. Our warranty does not cover
consequential damage. Our warranty does not cover towing
more than 15 miles from our shop where repairs were done.
Any check, credit card, or other form of payment that is
rejected at the paying institution for any reason
whatsoever, you hereby grant us the right to repossess, by
any means possible, the vehicle we performed work on and
charge a repossession fee of $499 + the amount of the
payment that you were charged + any other cost associated
with the repossession, and a storage fee of $20 per day or
the maximum amount allowed by law. You also agree not to
stop payment on any credit card, debit card, or check that
we or any of our affiliates accept from you. There will be
a 7.75% fee charged for shop supplies, incidentals,
customer services, towing supplies, etc. Our prices include
tax, because we pay the tax when we purchase your parts. We
do not itemize parts and labor. We quote the complete job
including parts and labor. 3yr/50,000 mile warranty prorata
available on separate agreement for an additional charge. I
authorize this shop to accept my verbal approval work to be
performed on my vehicle. With collision repair estimates,
there is very likely to be additional hidden repairs
needed. Customer signature__________________

Oct 27, 2004
Oh no. My lips are sealed. Too many things come back to bite you in my line of work. I will say that it was about .5 of the page on the estimate in plain view.

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
I was just about to comment on the poor shop owner & how he has to deal w/ asshole customers & attorneys (no offence to one in particular reading this :D ),,, and just to about to comment on how I have a buddy who runs a shop and how much he has to deal w/ dumb ass customers and then I saw this:

We do not itemize parts & labor

,,,nice,,, :rolleyes:

Is it legal to not itemize parts and labor where this shop is? It isn't in Indiana...

Otherwise, it sounds like a shop owner got bitten once too many.

FWIW, I have a similar, albeit far shorter disclaimer pinned to the office wall. Some jobs (particularly, trucks that I suggest the owner not rebuild, come with an even more onerous disclaimer).

PT

RoverChic

Apr 19, 2004
den Haag
andrewv said:
I think JC should adopt it:D

Yeah uhmmm on JC He charged me $75 plus shipping for one of those CDL handles. PLUS 10.00 to ship it to NY! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Did I mention it DOES'NT Fit either?? I am so bitter about this deal.

Last edited:

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Most of that reads like things various dealers have told me. :eek: They don't have much of an excuse, all they repair is one brand of car.

I don't see anything glaringly wrong with it, for a more budget-oriented shop though. Small shops need protection. and ultimately it is the integrity of the owner and not the legal mumbo-jumbo that makes them good or bad. Many of these places see lots of dirtbags. Very few customers care beyond some wierd desire to question everything for the sole purpose of trying to seem knowledgable.

There quite a few shops out there that will have your tail end, but then again there are quite a few stores that will sell you a T-shirt for 500 bucks.

Cheers,

Kennith

RoverChic

Apr 19, 2004
den Haag
andrewv said:
Sounds like you're bitter. $75 for the whole linkage or just the handle?

Just the handle. Remember the thread where the guy/kid got his ASS handed to him on a shiny DWEB silver platter for charging $$95 for that thing?? I am writing a letter RoverChic ;) style to Mr. JC. He actually took advantage of Michael not me....I would have laughed at his ass if he tried to charge me that much for a stupid piece of metal that he CAN'T even fab up right! So, yes I am bitter that he would try to take advantage of someone like that and a member of our community, very poor taste and very *bad* business in my opinion. He actually quoted Michael $20 to ship it first then changed his mind to $10. Mr. JC this isn't EBAY you don't need to mark up shipping 500%!

andrewv

RoverChic said:
Just the handle. Remember the thread where the guy/kid got his ASS handed to him on a shiny DWEB silver platter for charging $$95 for that thing?? I am writing a letter RoverChic ;) style to Mr. JC. He actually took advantage of Michael not me....I would have laughed at his ass if he tried to charge me that much for a stupid piece of metal that he CAN'T even fab up right! So, yes I am bitter that he would try to take advantage of someone like that and a member of our community, very poor taste and very *bad* business in my opinion. He actually quoted Michael $20 to ship it first then changed his mind to $10. Mr. JC this isn't EBAY you don't need to mark up shipping 500%!

We are talking JC Rover 4x4? I'm thinking I'm glad I'm not Jeff right about now :eek: I don't know, I guess it goes back to knowing what you're paying for, blah, blah, blah. I certainly can't say all of my internet transactions have gone well:D

I did get a brush guard for a case of Fat Tire, however.

andrewv said:
We are talking JC Rover 4x4? I'm thinking I'm glad I'm not Jeff right about now :eek: I don't know, I guess it goes back to knowing what you're paying for, blah, blah, blah. I certainly can't say all of my internet transactions have gone well:D

I did get a brush guard for a case of Fat Tire, however.

Andrew:
It doesn't matter how careful one is. We are humans and somewhere along the line, we are gonna do something to upset someone.

I'm sure that you had one or two disappointed clients. I'm glad that I can count the vocal unhappy ones on a single hand.

I am so glad that I never pissed anybody off here (other than Kyle a coupla years ago) and don't have that albatross to shed.

PT

andrewv

ptschram said:
Andrew:
It doesn't matter how careful one is. We are humans and somewhere along the line, we are gonna do something to upset someone.
PT

No doubt. Funny thing is that you can almost feel it when something is going to go south at the very begininng. You're then kicking yourself saying "I know I shouldn't have gotten involved".

RoverChic

Apr 19, 2004
den Haag
Paul- I have a lot of respect for you in fact if you search through most of my posts you will find that I refer people to your website or you for various odds and ends frequently (radiators ect). The fact of the matter is Jeff took advantage of someone unwarranted, he knew exactly what he was doing, when he was doing it.

I am so glad that I never pissed anybody off here (other than Kyle a coupla years ago) and don't have that albatross to shed.

Michael called up sounded like (sorry honey) an ignorant kid and Jeff took advantage of him. Plain and simple. Can I say I blame Jeff? Would I have taken advantage of Michael too in order to make an extra $50? Is it really worth that $50??I will scan the copy of the receipt later for the $85 CDL handle and post it here on DWEB. One thing I despise most is blatantly being taken advantage of. Reminds me of the sob story from Marc (MVM) about his starving kids and ex-wife in regards to my lights for sale. :rolleyes:

http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16520&highlight=cdl+handle

"It doesn't matter how careful one is. We are humans and somewhere along the line, we are gonna do something to upset someone."

My rebuttle: If you do the right thing in life, practice honesty, integrity, and virtue then why would this be an issue? Sure maybe Jeff made a mistake? Maybe he presumed that the price he charged was accurate for a piece of metal that was fab'ed wrong. OK so you're human so am I.

I do not know about Jeff, what I do know is that I have a hard time ethically and morally charging people more than what an item is worth; which is why I give half of my stuff away for free on DWEB (from Land Rover Coffee to Tire covers) or offer to ship for free or whatever. OFF BOX!

Last edited:
S

syoung

It makes one an ass to charge a huge amount of money for something of little value... but then again- caveat emptor. Flea markets and eBay survive on the ignorant consumer, but it's not criminal unless it is misrepresentation.