Turn Signal Flasher Relay

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
I will be putting a new bumper on my 99. I have the turn signals on the truck as well as the bumper. The bumper will not have the turn signals. My 94 disco had the turn signals on the bumper only. My question is: Can I use a flasher relay from a 94 or other disco with only signals on the bumper to correct this load problem? Does those disco's with only one set of signals require a different flasher?

I talked to the dorks at Radio Shack looking for resistors to compensate for the bulbs. They said that they don't really make a resistor for that application and said to try to use a different flasher. Has anybody figured out a solution to this problem?

B

Brian Friend

Steve,

You can use anyflasher relay that has the same plug pattern as the original LR. The only downside is that when you have a bulb out you will not get the rappid flash that you do when using a LR relay.

I bough a cheep relay at checker and had to remove the plastic cover to get it to fit but it has worked for more than a year now.

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
Brian,

So you're saying that only the LR relays will have a rapid flash when there is not enough load on the circuit? Just curious because my 94 had only 2 bulbs per side instead of my 99 which has 3. Why didn't my 94 rapid flash with only 2 bulbs where my 99 does rapid flash with 2 bulbs?

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
I can't believe that there is no one in the world that can solve this problem. I talked to Steve at RTE and he didn't know. He said to tell him if I figured it out. Come on people, there are a lot of custom rear bumpers out there. Are you telling me that everybody who has one doesn't mind the signal flashing like crazy. I don't know about you all but it bugs the shit out of me.